52 replies to this topic

#1 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

99.9% of the time I lock my car when it's not in the garage. Last night I didn't because I was going to clear boxes out of the way in the garage and move it inside. My kids distracted me and I walked into the house without locking the car. When we walked out this morning, my neighbor pointed out that my passenger side doors were open.

They ransacked my car, taking all valuables -- except my State Park pass smile.gif -- and even unlocking my ski rack to see if they could take it. Right when I was looking through it, a Folsom PD unit drove by. Turns out he was responding to a call down the block.

The officer told me that they hit Natoma Station and "North of the River" last night. He assumed they were wealthy, bored Folsom kids with drug problems, not professionals because they didn't break into cars and they left the car doors open when they left -- which would have called attention to the cars because the dome lights would be lit. He said it wasn't unusual and to keep an eye out, not just for "suspicious" people.

So if anyone knows someone who all of a sudden has a silver 160gb iPod classic, a TomTom navi system and a digital camera, they're mine. wink.gif

#2 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (cw68 @ May 12 2010, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
99.9% of the time I lock my car when it's not in the garage. Last night I didn't because I was going to clear boxes out of the way in the garage and move it inside. My kids distracted me and I walked into the house without locking the car. When we walked out this morning, my neighbor pointed out that my passenger side doors were open.

They ransacked my car, taking all valuables -- except my State Park pass smile.gif -- and even unlocking my ski rack to see if they could take it. Right when I was looking through it, a Folsom PD unit drove by. Turns out he was responding to a call down the block.

The officer told me that they hit Natoma Station and "North of the River" last night. He assumed they were wealthy, bored Folsom kids with drug problems, not professionals because they didn't break into cars and they left the car doors open when they left -- which would have called attention to the cars because the dome lights would be lit. He said it wasn't unusual and to keep an eye out, not just for "suspicious" people.

So if anyone knows someone who all of a sudden has a silver 160gb iPod classic, a TomTom navi system and a digital camera, they're mine. wink.gif

Do you normally leave all those valuable things in the car even if it is locked?

#3 MAof3

MAof3

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

OMG, so sorry to hear that. I hope they get caught and you get your things back in the same condition!!!

#4 wreathlady

wreathlady

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Sorry for your loss. How do you know they were bored Folsom kids?? The lightrail is bringing all types of gang members and losers to Folsom, so be careful, as you may not be messing with high school kids from Folsom. Hope you get your valuables back.

#5 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (wreathlady @ May 12 2010, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for your loss. How do you know they were bored Folsom kids?? The lightrail is bringing all types of gang members and losers to Folsom, so be careful, as you may not be messing with high school kids from Folsom. Hope you get your valuables back.

1. The lightrail isn't a good getaway vehicle so people don't use it as such.
2. It happened at night and lightrail isn't running then.
3. It's hard to carry a lot of loot when you're on foot.
4. The officer was the one who said, "Exactly" when I said that I bet it was local, rich, bored kids with drug problems.
5. Lightrail doesn't run to "North of the River."

Lightrail can bring more shoplifting to the mall, some graffiti and the like, but it's not the source of stuff like this.

I'm not going to get my valuables back. I normally have the navi in the car, the other stuff I usually don't but did last night.

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

Sorry to hear about that, cw68. That really stinks.

You are probably right about who did it. We've been having vandalism of vehicles on our street. We don't have rich kids in our neighborhood so much, but the weather is getting nice and they are bored and roaming around late at night.

#7 wreathlady

wreathlady

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (cw68 @ May 12 2010, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. The lightrail isn't a good getaway vehicle so people don't use it as such.
2. It happened at night and lightrail isn't running then.
3. It's hard to carry a lot of loot when you're on foot.
4. The officer was the one who said, "Exactly" when I said that I bet it was local, rich, bored kids with drug problems.
5. Lightrail doesn't run to "North of the River."

Lightrail can bring more shoplifting to the mall, some graffiti and the like, but it's not the source of stuff like this.

I'm not going to get my valuables back. I normally have the navi in the car, the other stuff I usually don't but did last night.

Did not mean to offend you. Was just giving some thoughts.

#8 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (wreathlady @ May 12 2010, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did not mean to offend you. Was just giving some thoughts.

I wasn't offended. It just gets old having everyone knee-jerk the blame to lightrail. As the officer said, keep an eye out and it's not just for the suspicious looking people. Most of the crimes committed in Folsom are committed by Folsomites.

Honestly, I'm personally a lot more concerned about the damage wealthy, bored Folsom teens can do to me, my family or my home than I am about gangbangers from Rancho. I know what bored kids with money do. The local drug problem is much bigger than any of us really want to look it or admit. In my hometown, which is a very safe, upscale suburb, there's a serious heroin problem in the high school. It starts because the kids have money, have time and are bored, not challenged enough. They have the money to start experimenting and it's often a steep slope to addiction. Not to mention, even if they aren't doing it for drug money, a lot of kids have never had to face the consequences of their actions so they don't think twice about taking things from an unlocked car. It's a number of factors at fault and lightrail -- while an easy target -- isn't really one of them very often.

#9 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (cw68 @ May 12 2010, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you leave that in plain site, you are taking a big gamble. Even if you hide it, but leave the bracket that holds it in plain site, it is something thieves look for to steal.

I never ever leave portable electronics in my cars over night, even the cars parked in the garage as the garage is the easiest room to break into.

I presume you've filed a police report, watch Craig's list and if you see your stuff let the PD know. They can arrange a sting operation to recover your stolen items.

I would rather be Backpacking

#10 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ May 12 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you leave that in plain site, you are taking a big gamble. Even if you hide it, but leave the bracket that holds it in plain site, it is something thieves look for to steal.

I never ever leave portable electronics in my cars over night, even the cars parked in the garage as the garage is the easiest room to break into.

I presume you've filed a police report, watch Craig's list and if you see your stuff let the PD know. They can arrange a sting operation to recover your stolen items.

Nope, I keep the bracket and the navi in the center console.

#11 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (cw68 @ May 12 2010, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, I keep the bracket and the navi in the center console.

I think a lot of people do now, which is why thieves now look for the "cord" attached to your lighter.

BTW--really sorry...that just stinks. If it makes you feel better, some kid at the highschool prolly will get it (IPOD) confiscated at the highschool within a few days.

Heck if they steal it, they won't have anyappreciation for it, and will get caught using it. Then confiscated.

#12 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Keep checking Craigslist.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#13 SmartMoney

SmartMoney

All Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (cw68 @ May 12 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I'm personally a lot more concerned about the damage wealthy, bored Folsom teens can do to me, my family or my home than I am about gangbangers from Rancho.

For someone who loathes stereotypes, you're sure on a roll today!!

I'm looking for the map that shows where Folsom crime is most reported...I seem to remember NS being pretty bad.

Do the "rich, bored kids with drug problems" all live in NS??

Don't think so.

I hope your day today is better than yesterday. rolleyes.gif

I speak truth. Don't ignore reality, folks.

#14 wreathlady

wreathlady

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (cw68 @ May 12 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't offended. It just gets old having everyone knee-jerk the blame to lightrail. As the officer said, keep an eye out and it's not just for the suspicious looking people. Most of the crimes committed in Folsom are committed by Folsomites.

Honestly, I'm personally a lot more concerned about the damage wealthy, bored Folsom teens can do to me, my family or my home than I am about gangbangers from Rancho. I know what bored kids with money do. The local drug problem is much bigger than any of us really want to look it or admit. In my hometown, which is a very safe, upscale suburb, there's a serious heroin problem in the high school. It starts because the kids have money, have time and are bored, not challenged enough. They have the money to start experimenting and it's often a steep slope to addiction. Not to mention, even if they aren't doing it for drug money, a lot of kids have never had to face the consequences of their actions so they don't think twice about taking things from an unlocked car. It's a number of factors at fault and lightrail -- while an easy target -- isn't really one of them very often.

Sorry it was not a knee jerk reaction and it is a true reality that people apparently do not want to face. I have heard so many stories about the lightrail and what it brings here. If you discount that, then you really need to check with the Police Dept. I think you will find a different story there.

#15 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (wreathlady @ May 12 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry it was not a knee jerk reaction and it is a true reality that people apparently do not want to face. I have heard so many stories about the lightrail and what it brings here. If you discount that, then you really need to check with the Police Dept. I think you will find a different story there.

I was robbed once by punks that drove here (long before light rail), I haven't been robbed since lightrail came to town. draw your own conclusions
I would rather be Backpacking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users