#16 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

Content deleted by MOD

I've traveled to Europe for work often over the past 20 years, and my sense is that most European countries take steps to enforce their driving laws.  None of my European colleagues will go near a driver's seat when they've had even one glass of wine.  A colleague in Stockholm once told me that after 1st DUI, they pull the driver's license and it costs about $30,000 to get it back.  And driving without a license was 90 days in jail, no negotiation.

I would love to see a zero percent blood alcohol level for drunk driving.  Too many people die because drunks think they are just buzzed.  Sounds like Europe has this one correct.

#17 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

content deleted

Maestro, please take up hiking, theater going, needlpoint, movies, bridge, etc..........    This gadfly, anti city government will be the end of you if you don's watch out...!   Relax, enjoy life, there are way more things in the big world than what are going on in our drive by, pass through, not really relevant town of ours.   Keep it that way, move along folks, nothing to see here,,,,,,,,,,    Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#18 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

Carl G says this in his earlier post:

"I would love to see a zero percent blood alcohol level for drunk driving.  Too many people die because drunks think they are just buzzed."

OK, Carl, plenty of people like to have a glass of wine when they go to Visconti's italian restaurant in Folsom. Under your plan, they are *drunks* and apparently KILL PEOPLE.

Glad to see that Carl G is being *rational and reasonable*. :lol:

#19 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

I usually have one glass of wine with dinner, either in or out.

I always stop at one.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#20 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Carl G says this in his earlier post:

"I would love to see a zero percent blood alcohol level for drunk driving.  Too many people die because drunks think they are just buzzed."

OK, Carl, plenty of people like to have a glass of wine when they go to Visconti's italian restaurant in Folsom. Under your plan, they are *drunks* and apparently KILL PEOPLE.

Glad to see that Carl G is being *rational and reasonable*. :lol:

Talk with law enforcement or MAD.  I've seen interviews talking about the foolishness of lowering the BAC for drunk driving from .1 to .08 to ???.  If the goal is to reduce drunk driving deaths then .0 BAC is the best way.  If you don't mind some 10,000 people dying every year from drunk drivers, then that is on you.  This will sound crass, but someone is going to die in your family or mine from a drunk driver, I hope it is yours.  And yes, I am always rational and reasonable and never drink and drive; I am the designated driver.

#21 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:20 PM

If the goal is to reduce drunk driving deaths then .0 BAC is the best way.

Yes, Carl, reducing drunk driving deaths is important. Everyone knows that. The .08 level is a good/fair number. You CANNOT prevent idiots from getting hammered and driving, unless you want to BAN ALCOHOL. Dumb idea.

#22 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:40 PM

Between 2003 - 2012, 10,327 people were killed in California in an auto accident involving a drunk driver.  That's 2.8 people a day.  If you drink with dinner at a restaurant, have someone else drive or get an Uber.  They're quick, convenient, cheap.

#23 Deanna H

Deanna H

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

How many of those drunk driver caused deaths involved a driver with less than .08 BAC?

#24 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

Deanna - the way the statistics are collected, if the BAC is less than 0.08, the driver is not considered drunk.  Because of this there are no statistics on what you ask.  It'd be interesting to know, however.  

The original number above came from the Calif DMV website.  I looked for the number you ask, but nothing there.

#25 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

Between 2003 - 2012, 10,327 people were killed in California in an auto accident involving a drunk driver.  That's 2.8 people a day.  If you drink with dinner at a restaurant, have someone else drive or get an Uber.  They're quick, convenient, cheap.

Here's the report whence these stats came: http://www.cdc.gov/m...iving_in_ca.pdf

Interestingly enough, in 2014, the EXACT number of alcohol-related deaths occurred in Britain ("only" 94 of those being "transport accident[s]": http://www.rehab4alc...com/article/39/

#26 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

aztransplant - man, is that a weird coincidence.  Interesting you found a reference that had the total number.  I added up the year-by-year data on the Calif DMV website to get the same number.  For some weird reason, the DMV data was complete for these years - 2003 to 2012, but incomplete for prior and later years.  It's why I only picked 2003 - 2012.

Interesting you note the UK drunk driving deaths were only 94 incidents.

#27 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

Yes, Carl, reducing drunk driving deaths is important. Everyone knows that. The .08 level is a good/fair number. You CANNOT prevent idiots from getting hammered and driving, unless you want to BAN ALCOHOL, (removal _)

What is true is you cannot legislate common sense and good judgement so you have to punish the foolish.  Getting in a car after drinking alcohol is foolish, you just cannot admit is since you seem to be one of those who does just that.

The problem here is the innocent tend to pay the highest cost as the drunks tend to be hurt less.  Here is a link if you would like to read about it... http://www.dailybree.../NEWS/910019838.  Of course this would take common sense to understand, but you seem to be lacking on it with this topic.  You're no different than those people we see driving around talking and texting on their phone; it is all about you and what you want.  Screw everyone else because I must make myself happy.

It is really sad you don't see it.

#28 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

Carl, wise up. Do you really think that YOU couldn't drive a car after having a drink?

Are you that fragile? If so, fine, but most people can handle themselves after a drink or two. You have the typical knee-jerk reaction to this topic.

I'm disappointed in you. By the way, please forward your data on how many people are brutally slain by the lady that has a glass of wine with dinner.

#29 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:49 PM

Carl, wise up. Do you really think that YOU couldn't drive a car after having a drink?

Are you that fragile? If so, fine, but most people can handle themselves after a drink or two. You have the typical knee-jerk *oh my god* reaction to this topic.

I'm disappointed in you. By the way, please forward your data on how many people are brutally slain by the lady that has a glass of wine with dinner.

No offense. Just like Trump, I'm telling it like it is. Hide under your bed if you have to.

I guess this is a nuanced argument that you cannot grasp or are unwilling to.  I get it as you like to drink and drive.

Alcohol starves the brain of oxygen.  A little alcohol, a little starvation.  A lot of alcohol, a lot of starvation.  In short, alcohol makes you stupid; you make poor decisions.

As GOC said, stats aren't really collected since a BAC < .08 isn't illegal.  What you ask for isn't readily available.  Again, it is common sense, so ...

#30 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:33 AM

Jesus.   A kid died.   This thread reflects poorly on Folsom. Show some respect.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users