15 replies to this topic

#1 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:40 AM

I heard on KCRA this morning that a student at Folsom HS has bacterial meningitis, but no further info was given. I asked my son, who is a Freshman there, if he had heard anything, and all he could tell me was that it was 2 Seniors, and apparently they were told yesterday.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any other information about this?
I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

#2 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:54 AM

OK.....I just got off the phone with the High School, and the receptionist told me that it was only 1 student, a girl, and that she is being treated and is responding well.

This is worrisome because FHS seems to have cases of this every year. I don't know if that is statistically high, or if other schools see the same thing, and we just don't hear about it.

Opinions anyone?
I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

#3 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(FolsomBarb @ May 25 2005, 07:54 AM)
This is worrisome because FHS seems to have cases of this every year.  I don't know if that is statistically high, or if other schools see the same thing, and we just don't hear about it. 

Opinions anyone?

View Post

I'd like to know more about this, too. I don't remember bacterial meningitis being a threat when I was in high school. Why is it now a perennial problem? Where does the bacteria come from? Does anyone have knowledge?

#4 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ May 25 2005, 09:17 AM)
I'd like to know more about this, too.  I don't remember bacterial meningitis being a threat when I was in high school.  Why is it now a perennial problem?  Where does the bacteria come from?  Does anyone have knowledge?

View Post

These are my questions exactly.

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

I had my 16 year old son at a doctor's appointment last week, and the doctor urged him to get a meningicoccal (sp?) vaccine. This is a new one that is supposed to be better than the old. AND, while doctors used to urge students going off to college to get these shots, they're now urging high school students to get them. My son got the shot.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#6 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE(FolsomBarb @ May 25 2005, 07:54 AM)
OK.....I just got off the phone with the High School, and the receptionist told me that it was only 1 student, a girl, and that she is being treated and is responding well. 

This is worrisome because FHS seems to have cases of this every year.  I don't know if that is statistically high, or if other schools see the same thing, and we just don't hear about it. 

Opinions anyone?

View Post

Thanks for the update - I was concerned after reading your post on this - it is very alarming and I think I'll have my kids get that shot that resume lady mentioned

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#7 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

Here is a website that provides some info:

http://www.nmaus.org...gitis/index.htm

According to this website, our perception is correct that in the past decade, this illness has been on the increase among teens and young adults. They don't offer any explanation of why this is the case.

The illness is spread primarily through close contact: kissing, sharing utensils, etc. It may be spread through saliva droplets in the air.

Here's an intersting fact: 10-15% of Americans carry the bacteria that cause this illness. Most of the population does not get meningitis. However, for a small proportion of people who come into contact with the bacteria, it develops into bacterial meningitis.

There is a vaccine available (which the CDC advises all adolescents/teens to get), but there are some strains that aren't covered by the vaccine. According to the article in the Bee today, the Folsom High girl appears to have one of those strains.

#8 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ May 25 2005, 09:22 AM)
I had my 16 year old son at a doctor's appointment last week, and the doctor urged him to get a meningicoccal (sp?) vaccine. This is a new one that is supposed to be better than the old. AND, while doctors used to urge students going off to college to get these shots, they're now urging high school students to get them. My son got the shot.

View Post

I wasn't aware of this vaccine. I may get my son in for that as well, now that I know about it... Thanks Resume Lady for that info.

#9 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ May 25 2005, 09:36 AM)
Here is a website that provides some info:

http://www.nmaus.org...gitis/index.htm

View Post

Excellent information.....Thanks for that link. I'm printing that page out to keep on hand...

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:40 AM

You're welcome.

All of this reinforces our need as parents to continually remind our young people to wash their hands, not share drinks and utensils, etc. They think they're immune, but this caution is critical.

My daughter had the viral form of meningitis and that (and the after-effects) were horrible. I can't even imagine having the bacterial version.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#11 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ May 25 2005, 09:40 AM)
My daughter had the viral form of meningitis and that (and the after-effects) were horrible. I can't even imagine having the bacterial version.

View Post

Wow. I'm glad your daughter is all right now.

#12 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:17 AM

Besides not sharing utensils, etc., warn kids about even sharing lip gloss and chapstick. My dad used to tell us that kissing ultimately led to pregnancy -- now we can just tell our kids it can lead to meningitis so don't swap spit in high school.

The newspaper story mentioned that the shots were recommended for college bound kids and middle schoolers. When we had our child in last year for her pre-7th grade round of shots, they didn't even mention this. Sigh! I guess we'll have to ask about it and possibly shoot her again. I don't know why it didn't mention high school kids as candidates. Maybe that assumes they've had them in middle school.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#13 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE(tessieca @ May 25 2005, 09:17 AM)
Besides not sharing utensils, etc., warn kids about even sharing lip gloss and chapstick. My dad used to tell us that kissing ultimately led to pregnancy -- now we can just tell our kids it can lead to meningitis so don't swap spit in high school.

holy *%&#@*!!! i can only hope you're kidding........

#14 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:08 PM

Not kidding. DON'T share lip gloss, chapstick, and lipstick. And, yes my dad did tell us some things that we knew he was exaggerating!
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#15 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE(tessieca @ May 25 2005, 08:08 PM)
Not kidding.  DON'T share lip gloss, chapstick, and lipstick.  And, yes my dad did tell us some things that we knew he was exaggerating!

View Post

you missed my point...... how can you condone passing on this kind of MISinformation to your own kids. Whether they buy into your b.s. or not......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users