11 replies to this topic

#1 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

We have an Aussie, 10 months, very gentle. He has to go in the "Big" dog area but those dogs are so domineering, the dog owners have yet to call their dog off ours. . . Thanks for the info

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

We have an Aussie, 10 months, very gentle. He has to go in the "Big" dog area but those dogs are so domineering, the dog owners have yet to call their dog off ours. . . Thanks for the info

Not as far as I know. There used to be an "informal[read as unsanctioned]," unfenced dog park that met, but, last I heard, that was no more once Folsom opened the dog park here.

#3 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

Not as far as I know. There used to be an "informal[read as unsanctioned]," unfenced dog park that met, but, last I heard, that was no more once Folsom opened the dog park here.

As a frequent dog park user and owner of two small dogs, I can honestly say that there is no good reason you shouldn't bring your gentle puppy into the small dog side. I see it all the time; large senior dogs with arthitis, large puppies just learning to be socialized, large dogs who are scared of other large dogs...etc. Really, as long as his size and strength are not used to overpower small dogs in a way that might harm them.......it's all good.

#4 spork

spork

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

As a frequent dog park user and owner of two small dogs, I can honestly say that there is no good reason you shouldn't bring your gentle puppy into the small dog side. I see it all the time; large senior dogs with arthitis, large puppies just learning to be socialized, large dogs who are scared of other large dogs...etc. Really, as long as his size and strength are not used to overpower small dogs in a way that might harm them.......it's all good.

Hmm, one of the reasons I stopped using the dog park is because owners brought their big dogs into the small dog area.

#5 sasilou

sasilou

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Hmm, one of the reasons I stopped using the dog park is because owners brought their big dogs into the small dog area.

Yes, I understand, some small dogs are afraid of large dogs. . ., but our problem is we have a small dog in a large dogs body, haha. . . We ended up going to the Folsom Dog Park today, there were no dogs in the large dog area so it was fine. Thank you EAH for your support anyway :)

#6 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

See now, I can't understand this philosophy. A large, well behaved dog comes into the small dog park and interacts kindly with all the small dogs, so you take your small dog out and decide not to come back?????
Really????
I could understand it if there was an altercation between between said large dog and a small one....but if it is behaving well?
This is very black and white thinking to my mind.

#7 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:58 PM

See now, I can't understand this philosophy. A large, well behaved dog comes into the small dog park and interacts kindly with all the small dogs, so you take your small dog out and decide not to come back?????
Really????
I could understand it if there was an altercation between between said large dog and a small one....but if it is behaving well?

Even the best behaved large dog can install fear in a nervous small dog. It's not either dog's fault, I think it's just he lack of respect for the 'rules' by the owners that runs some people off. Dog parks are great in theory, but they are not meant for every dog.

#8 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

Even the best behaved large dog can install fear in a nervous small dog. It's not either dog's fault, I think it's just he lack of respect for the 'rules' by the owners that runs some people off. Dog parks are great in theory, but they are not meant for every dog.

Right. . . I would never bring my small nervous dog to a dog park. . .I would rather take my small nervous dog to PetSmart, put him in the front of the basket, so he's close to me and browse. . .

Right. . . I would never bring my small nervous dog to a dog park. . .I would rather take my small nervous dog to PetSmart, put him in the front of the basket, so he's close to me and browse. . .

#9 spork

spork

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Really????

Your idea of behaving well might not be mine. The only thing black and white is the size of the dog.

#10 casualforce

casualforce

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

I agree... Big dogs shouldn't be in the small dog side. And if your big dog is afraid of the other big dogs, that doesn't give you the right to make all the small dogs afraid of your chicken big dog. Leave him home.

#11 Fowler

Fowler

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

And some big dogs aren't a fan of little dogs, so the 10# chihuahua doesn't belong on the big dog side!!! Unless you want it to be a snack!

#12 casualforce

casualforce

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

And some big dogs aren't a fan of little dogs, so the 10# chihuahua doesn't belong on the big dog side!!! Unless you want it to be a snack!

Good one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users