Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles<br />Trucks<br />Boats<br />camping<br />

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Aug 5 2008, 09:44 AM) View Post
That's a great show, I watch it all the time

and you can tell your DH that there are a LOT of places like that around here...

Being a motorcycle rider, my buddies and I have stopped and seen lots of old funky dive food places around here during our travels.

here's a few off the top of my head.

Incahoots BBQ in Plymouth - this place is one of the best dive bbq joints in the entire region but yet remains relatively unknown because its way out in Plymouth and the best part is they serve EVERYTHING, from bbq, to mexican to pizza to burgers and much more

Jaspers Giant Burgers Fair Oaks - this place is a throw back to the 50's diner scene with a space theme. Very good very big burgers

Marlene & Glenn's Diner Plymouth - going to this place is like stepping back in time. Another classic old style restaurant with serious character, they server breakfast and lunch and have everything you like on the menu.

The old ORIGINAL Mels in Jackson

Poor Reds in El Dorado - it's a really funky old bar and restaurant that does a killer bbq

Al's Place in Lock - it's another really old funky place in the old Chinese town of Lock next to the river - they serve really great steak here
http://www.locketown.com/als.htm

I am the DH the original poster (my wife) has mentioned. I have been to all of these places mentioned except the squeeze inn and while most are very good restraunts and have some very good food, there isnt anything quite like on the TV show. Nothing really unique. I see all sorts of awesome diners, people growing their own produce, making everything from scratch to even raising their own chickens like the featured Willy Birds in Santa Rosa. These are the places I want to go to, the places with really unique dishes or interpretations of classic dishes. I ride a motorcycle and have traveled a ton of backroads on two wheels in search of places like that, but I dont think anything mentioned is really worthy of the TV show. I have not been to the squeeze inn so I will have to try that.

I should also note that most of the places mentioned are not in Folsom. My initial complaint to DW is that there are no places in Folsom like on the show. When I get out on the motorcycle and ride up in the hills through small towns it gets alot easier to find such hole in the wall places.

BTW, the Jaspers in Rocklin puts the Jaspers in fair oaks to shame. Its much better IMO.

"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."
Socrates

#19 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(Ram_it! @ Aug 5 2008, 05:17 PM) View Post
I should also note that most of the places mentioned are not in Folsom. My initial complaint to DW is that there are no places in Folsom like on the show. When I get out on the motorcycle and ride up in the hills through small towns it gets alot easier to find such hole in the wall places.

There's no hope of a Folsom entry on the show unless they change it to "Chains, Franchises, and Fast Food"

Posted Image

#20 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

Folsom doesn't have much of anything. rolleyes.gif We find ourselves venturing outside of Folsom more and more. It's a shame, really.

#21 fried chicken

fried chicken

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:06 AM

somebody needs to buy tha dump big dip and turn it into a great diner

#22 rlsliger

rlsliger

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(Ram_it! @ Aug 5 2008, 05:17 PM) View Post

For me, the journey is part of the fun and enjoyment in finding these places.

#23 Ram_it!

Ram_it!

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles<br />Trucks<br />Boats<br />camping<br />

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE(rlsliger @ Aug 6 2008, 08:14 AM) View Post
For me, the journey is part of the fun and enjoyment in finding these places.

when I am on the motorcycle I will agree 100 percent as the ride is what I go for. I even go every wednesday night with my motorcycle club on a wednesday night dinner ride. I have the bike in the parking lot ready to go tonight as we speek. But, when I am with the wife and kid and all we want to do is eat dinner then, running around up in the hills looking for a place to eat isnt my idea of fun.

I agree that someone needs to buy the Big Dip and turn it into a sweet diner.
"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."
Socrates

#24 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

What (and where) is (or was) the "Big Dip"??? I've lived in Folsom since '94 and have never heard of it.

#25 fried chicken

fried chicken

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(leenda @ Aug 6 2008, 09:27 AM) View Post
What (and where) is (or was) the "Big Dip"??? I've lived in Folsom since '94 and have never heard of it.

seriously?

its on natoma at coloma. used to eat there when i was in high school. its a total dump now. the marquee has had no "U" in burger for like 8 years

i've been wanting to turn that into a cool spot for a long time. great location.

#26 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

Oh, OK, I know exactly the location you're talking about.....I've passed that eyesore many times, but just never paid any attention to the name of the dump.

#27 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:50 AM

The Big Dip is very tragic, IMO. Such a squandered opportunity to create a 'dive' diner, and instead they serve worse-than-costco frozen patties on stale bread and label it "Fish Dhip Bur Gr".

Sadly, I fear that place will get knocked down before it gets to live another life as a classic burger joint sad.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#28 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

Is the rent $2 on that place? How can that still be open while Goodfellas and Express Gourmet closed?!

#29 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(stacycam @ Aug 6 2008, 01:06 PM) View Post
Is the rent $2 on that place? How can that still be open while Goodfellas and Express Gourmet closed?!

Long lease very cheap. Although I hear it's coming up soon...

Family run, very low overhead.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#30 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(Ram_it! @ Aug 6 2008, 09:10 AM) View Post
I agree that someone needs to buy the Big Dip and turn it into a sweet diner.

You and GM should buy it. Give it a name that has something to do with motorcycles and you both can quit your jobs and run it. You can hire me to sweep out the parking lot (of course that would require me operating a street sweeper).
Dive Diner
Lazy Foot Diner
Ape Hanger
Backwarmer
The Bone Yard
Endo
86'd
etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users