Climate Change Threatens Many Bird Species

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

It looks like the change in climate is having a large effect on many birds.

NOTE: I am doing what I can do, but it is only my back yard.

I have 4 Hummingbird feeders out and need to refill them about every 2-3 days. I also have

an additional 15-16 bird seed feeders out. I see hundreds for wild birds every day.

Climate change could shrink or shift the home ranges of half of the nation's 588 bird species -- among them, California's bluebirds, mallard ducks and several raptors, says major new Audubon Society report. Some species, unable to change, may become extinct.

Climate change threatens many bird species

Bluebirds, mallards and other beloved California birds may vanish from our summer skies, according to an alarming new report released by the National Audubon Society.

Over the next six decades, climate change could shrink or shift the range of half of the nation's 588 bird species, forcing them to move or adapt to smaller homes, according to the group's scientists. Some species, unable to change, may die out.

"That was just a punch in the gut," said Audubon chief scientist Gary Langham, who led the research. "We're looking at 314 North American bird species at risk by the end of this century -- it just takes your breath away."

Another researcher warned that the grim study reflects the best possible case.

The future also looked dark in a second report, released Tuesday morning by several federal agencies, Cornell University and private organizations. It found bird populations declining across several key habitats, especially arid lands such as the desert, sagebrush and chaparral regions of Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.

// go to below website //

http://www.mercuryne...es?source=email

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 Homer

Homer

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

I would take this article with a grain of salt, It sounds like more of he same from the climate catastrophe folks and those invested in it's agenda. In the article it mentions rising tides from melting polar ice caps causing loss of habitat, However if you look at the current satellite images of the summer Arctic ice caps they haven't disappeared as Al Gore predicted 7 years ago but have almost doubled in size.

http://www.dailymail...E-FREE-now.html

#3 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

What you are saying could be true.

But, HELP THE BIRDS.

So many of them are being killed by the power windmills and now they are also getting killed

by the solar mirrors, I think in Arizona somewhere.  I reported on that before.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#4 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

I like birds. I hope they adapt as their environment changes. HOWEVER, environments ALWAYS change.

The criteria used for the hysteria in the article is garbage. There will be no 2-4 degree warming in the next century. The oceans are not rising more than they "normally" do. All OBSERVED temperatures are well below the lowest range of predictions based on computer climate models.  The world has warmed much more than now, and more quickly. Perspective!

se84jn.jpg

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#5 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

What you are saying could be true.

But, HELP THE BIRDS.

So many of them are being killed by the power windmills and now they are also getting killed

by the solar mirrors, I think in Arizona somewhere.  I reported on that before.

I agree.  I try my best to help the birds.  I've put out more seed this summer than ever before and added another hummingbird feeder and keep my bird bath full of fresh water for them. 

I think the drought has been really hard on birds in my neighborhood because there are no puddles in yards or water in gutters for them because of water restrictions.

I planted wildflowers in an area I used to do veggies and just let them go to seed instead of pulling them out when the flowers were gone.  There are some little finches that just love them.

#6 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

I think wind power is killing more birds now than anything else.   Solar does a good job too when they fly through the "focus" of those desert solar farms.   They just go "poof" and turn to dust and burnt feathers.....   Don't worry too much about articles like this one.   The birds and humans will adapt to any of these natural, historical, earth climate cycles.  Always have, always will.  

Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#7 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

This is a very interesting article. Be on the lookout for birds that you haven't seen before in this area.

Check out this article.

Why Strange New Birds Are Appearing in Your Backyard

Scientists have confirmed for the first time what bird-watchers have been saying for years: There’s a new set of visitors to your backyard feeder.

Winters are slowly getting warmer, with fewer snowy days, and those small but steady environmental changes affect the type of birds that can survive in northern climates.

“Winter birds have always been sentinels of climate change,” said Benjamin Zuckerberg, a biologist at the University of Wisconsin–Madison and coauthor of a new study published in the journal Global Change Biology. “They’re living life on the edge, with limited resources.”

In some cases, the southern species may start crowding out the northern ones, pushing them to higher latitudes. “Northern-adapted species are vacating areas,” said Zuckerberg. “While many of these birds still have ranges in Canada, they may potentially get out-competed by southern birds.”

// see more below //

http://news.yahoo.co...-160510528.html

#8 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Oh, well....

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

I just fill a bucket with water and leave it at the top of the driveway. The birds seem to like that. Ive actually seen them line up and wait their turn a few times this summer.

I throw a lot of the fruit waste into the plant beds. Yes, it brings possums and a skunk. Which means there aren't any rattlers in the yard. But throwing watermelon and orange rinds into the planters seems to make the birds pretty happy too.

A lot of whistle as you work- kind of neighbors in the yard this year. I have no idea if they are northern or southern birds. I just like to hear them.

#10 Deanna H

Deanna H

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

We've got skunks and raccoons. Still had to shoot a rattlesnake last week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users