#1 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hey all,
What do you think of all of the residential homes built in Mather? I can't believe people would buy these homes since the water in Rancho is still polluted with rocket fuel (safe to gov't standard supposedly) and I heard the homeowners have to sign waivers on other toxins because of the pollution from the water and that some homes were on ex-military grounds......The homes are so much affordable than Folsom, but do u think the people purchasing the homes (mostly young families) realize the potential harm if any?

Edited by asbestoshills, 21 April 2006 - 07:12 PM.

Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#2 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:27 AM

There is no way that I would live there!!

It is a concern that many potential buyers might be young families with small children, who might be more adversely effected by rocket-fuel water.

#3 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Apr 21 2006, 07:11 PM) View Post

Hey all,
What do you think of all of the residential homes built in Mather? I can't believe people would buy these homes since the water in Rancho is still polluted with rocket fuel (safe to gov't standard supposedly) and I heard the homeowners have to sign waivers on other toxins because of the pollution from the water and that some homes were on ex-military grounds......The homes are so much affordable than Folsom, but do u think the people purchasing the homes (mostly young families) realize the potential harm if any?

The homes in the Douglas/Sunrise area have their water pumped in from a well a decent distance to the south and west of the area. The local ground water issues are the reason for this pumping. So... there isn't an issue.

I don't know about the areas in Rancho closer to Zinfandel.

#4 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(DrKoz23 @ Apr 22 2006, 12:52 PM) View Post

The homes in the Douglas/Sunrise area have their water pumped in from a well a decent distance to the south and west of the area. The local ground water issues are the reason for this pumping. So... there isn't an issue.

I don't know about the areas in Rancho closer to Zinfandel.

That's good to know; as long as the water isn't from the Calvine/Florin area by Elk Grove.....

#5 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Apr 21 2006, 08:11 PM) View Post

Hey all,

and the sad part is most of them will not use a realtor( buyers agent) they will deal directly with the home builders agent. well, who do you think the home builders agent is protecting?

not the buyer....

Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

#6 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Apr 22 2006, 01:08 PM) View Post

That's good to know; as long as the water isn't from the Calvine/Florin area by Elk Grove.....

That is exactly where it's coming from. Plus talking about Mello Roos, the price is not even 100% set, but between Mello Roos and HOA they will be paying over $200 a month from what we were told.

#7 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:43 AM

I lived and worked on Mather AFB for 5 years when I was in the AF. When I was there they had their own water treatment plant. The water tasted fine to us and none of us seem to have any health problems because of it.
Maybe I was immune because I lived on and worked at Air Force Bases for 20 years. weirdsmiley.gif

#8 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Apr 24 2006, 07:43 AM) View Post

I lived and worked on Mather AFB for 5 years when I was in the AF. When I was there they had their own water treatment plant. The water tasted fine to us and none of us seem to have any health problems because of it.
Maybe I was immune because I lived on and worked at Air Force Bases for 20 years. weirdsmiley.gif

You can't taste rocket fuel at 4-90 ppb! Also, it cannot be flushed through a PUR filter or it cannot be burned off when boiling...It's petroleum based so it's with u until a special filter (people in the bay area were given them by the polluters) that removes the chemical....This plume is the most significant health issue in our area that affects many people over a long period of time.....
I have been told many times by the Folsom water dept. that our water does not have any perchlorate; however, when the city looks for new sources of water hopefully they won't consider Rancho or Mather.....
That's the most frightening aspect of the rocket fuel...You can't smell it, taste it or see it...just get cancer from it or reproductive issues with your child....

#9 nomoser

nomoser

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:33 AM

Aside from all the other concerns, what about the noise from the jets landing at Mather? I work for Intel and fly in and out of there fairly regularly. When we landed there last week on Thursday, I couldn't believe how close to the homes we were as we did our 180 degree turn just before landing. And Intel's fairly small jets are not the biggest noisemakers -- you have the big cargo jets owned by UPS and DHL, as well.

#10 FamilyMan

FamilyMan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

Don't forget that area stinks in the summer. sad.gif

#11 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(FamilyMan @ Apr 24 2006, 11:25 AM) View Post

Don't forget that area stinks in the summer. sad.gif

Maybe I need a nose implant or something because I don't remember any foul odor in the summer. Other than jet engine exhaust (I worked on the flight line) but that was all year.
Seriously - do you guys know all this for a fact? Water problem, especially? Or are you just repeating things you have heard? If there is a bad odor, where does it come from? Where were you when you smelled it? Let’s see some hard facts. I would hate for someone not to move out there because of rumors they heard on this board.

#12 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(nomoser @ Apr 24 2006, 10:33 AM) View Post

Aside from all the other concerns, what about the noise from the jets landing at Mather? I work for Intel and fly in and out of there fairly regularly. When we landed there last week on Thursday, I couldn't believe how close to the homes we were as we did our 180 degree turn just before landing. And Intel's fairly small jets are not the biggest noisemakers -- you have the big cargo jets owned by UPS and DHL, as well.

This reminds me... when we were looking to move out of our condo we shopped out at Mather (4 years ago) and as we were looking at the models a guy and his wife were at every model that we were. So he stopped me and said they were from the bay area and asked if this was a very good place to live. I told him "You know it’s right next to an airport don't you?" He said what? I took him to the front yard and showed him the control tower (that seemed like it was right down the street). He was amazed, had no idea. I wonder if anyone else was surprised? I don't know if they bought or not. I saw him dragging his wife outside and pointing to the control tower as we left. I am glad we ended up in Natoma Station. I love it there.

#13 s0479

s0479

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:12 PM

I know someone who has lived there for a number of years and loves it. She never mentioned any smell.

#14 kmwandersee

kmwandersee

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:47 PM

(Some of the below may not be factual, but I'm stating them as such, since I'm a former resident of Folsom and current resident of Mather).

Holy C@#P!

I can't believe what I'm reading from everyone about Mather Homes! First, back in March, everyone was complaining about the Air Show and how disorganized it was. (Let's not forget that it was the 1st Annual event for the organization that put it together). Everyone was all up for saying what should have been, instead of being happy for a break in the weather, and a chance to see the Blue Angles fly.

Now, I could be wrong...but did anyone read in the Bee a few weeks back about the organizations plans for next year...and that they had only projected 65,000 people to attend, when actually close to/if not over 100,000 came that weekend? They apologized for the inconveniences of that weekend, and promised a better event next year. So, Folsomites.....are you going to complain and hold a grudge, or will you be out there next year, checklist in hand reading to hand out walking papers?

Mather Homes...Cheaper/More Affordable? Mather homes run anywhere between $350,000-$600,000. The homes that are close to the airstrip (mine is one of them) are not drowned out from the planes landing and taking off...in fact, you hardly ever hear them! Only once or twice have I heard planes overhead...and that was after the airshow, when the planes that were not able to land/take off, trying to get in the last few minutes of light.

Stink?? Nope....Haven't had any complaints there...I do know that we have protected wet lands all around Mather....but now, that's just nature...wouldn't call that "stink".

Water....again, I find it hard to believe that after all the clean up by Aerojet. having the treatment plants and technology of the 21st century....that someone who isn't considering purchasing a home in Mather, has the right to criticize just for the sake of complaining. From all that I've seen....No sights of 5 legged frogs, or two headed rodents....Just because it's "Mather" doesn't mean that the Government is going to open itself up to billion dollar lawsuits over Water. The water has to be safe for humans in Mather, just as it is in Folsom.

The homes are far from Aerojet, and are not near the Zinfindale/Mather Field area as described below. The waivers are signed because it used to be a former military installation that was handed over to Rancho Cordova...not because of some water issue. Mather also uses a different Gas Vendor (not PG&E)....these third party vendors still have contracts with other military installations.....so there is more paperwork involved.

HOA/Association Dues....$60.00-80.00 a month...not the $200.00 average stated below. Very reasonable...the lawns are done every week, and I've never had to complain to get something taken care of...

It just amazes me that no one realizes (or accepts) that Folsom is just another city in California...and to hear this community belittling a neighbor community "Just because" is no different that a hometown bully picking on the new kid for being new.

I say that this website needs a "National "NO COMPLAINING" Day", where every post needs to be about what the poster will do for his/her community that day instead of spewing out negativity.

#15 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(kmwandersee @ Apr 24 2006, 01:47 PM) View Post

(Some of the below may not be factual, but I'm stating them as such, since I'm a former resident of Folsom and current resident of Mather).

Holy C@#P!

I can't believe what I'm reading from everyone about Mather Homes! First, back in March, everyone was complaining about the Air Show and how disorganized it was. (Let's not forget that it was the 1st Annual event for the organization that put it together). Everyone was all up for saying what should have been, instead of being happy for a break in the weather, and a chance to see the Blue Angles fly.

Now, I could be wrong...but did anyone read in the Bee a few weeks back about the organizations plans for next year...and that they had only projected 65,000 people to attend, when actually close to/if not over 100,000 came that weekend? They apologized for the inconveniences of that weekend, and promised a better event next year. So, Folsomites.....are you going to complain and hold a grudge, or will you be out there next year, checklist in hand reading to hand out walking papers?

Mather Homes...Cheaper/More Affordable? Mather homes run anywhere between $350,000-$600,000. The homes that are close to the airstrip (mine is one of them) are not drowned out from the planes landing and taking off...in fact, you hardly ever hear them! Only once or twice have I heard planes overhead...and that was after the airshow, when the planes that were not able to land/take off, trying to get in the last few minutes of light.

Stink?? Nope....Haven't had any complaints there...I do know that we have protected wet lands all around Mather....but now, that's just nature...wouldn't call that "stink".

Water....again, I find it hard to believe that after all the clean up by Aerojet. having the treatment plants and technology of the 21st century....that someone who isn't considering purchasing a home in Mather, has the right to criticize just for the sake of complaining. From all that I've seen....No sights of 5 legged frogs, or two headed rodents....Just because it's "Mather" doesn't mean that the Government is going to open itself up to billion dollar lawsuits over Water. The water has to be safe for humans in Mather, just as it is in Folsom.

The homes are far from Aerojet, and are not near the Zinfindale/Mather Field area as described below. The waivers are signed because it used to be a former military installation that was handed over to Rancho Cordova...not because of some water issue. Mather also uses a different Gas Vendor (not PG&E)....these third party vendors still have contracts with other military installations.....so there is more paperwork involved.

HOA/Association Dues....$60.00-80.00 a month...not the $200.00 average stated below. Very reasonable...the lawns are done every week, and I've never had to complain to get something taken care of...

It just amazes me that no one realizes (or accepts) that Folsom is just another city in California...and to hear this community belittling a neighbor community "Just because" is no different that a hometown bully picking on the new kid for being new.

I say that this website needs a "National "NO COMPLAINING" Day", where every post needs to be about what the poster will do for his/her community that day instead of spewing out negativity.

Hello MAther resident!
The post I created was about the water situation and rocket fuel in that area (Rancho by White Rock).....I have no idea what negativity u r talking about unless it was from another reply.......There have been water issues in this area for over 50 years and there may not be 5 headed toads, but there have been cancer issues in the area whether u believe us or not....Just check the research on the web under rocket fuel and Rancho....Your area may be safe from this, but there are other areas that had a plume and I used to live there for a short time from end of 96-98 and my aunt got thryroid cancer, my mom got breast cancer (extremely big tumor and rare), my cat got thyroid cancer, I had a v. difficult pregnancy (unknown reasons) and several people at the IT company I worked for were stricken with rare and incurable cancers ranging from colon to tongue (non-smoker drinkers).....U can look these articles up in old SN&R articles and google....No one is bullying the new town, but shining light on why it may be cheaper and less desirable than other areas in Sacto....

Edited by asbestoshills, 24 April 2006 - 02:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users