199 replies to this topic

#31 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE(realtor @ Jun 1 2007, 10:41 PM) View Post
...there isn't much gathering on the street for small talk between neighbors unless there is a crisis or emergency. I, too, strive to be a friendly person but when I get ignored after offering a polite greeting...let's just say it starts to wear you down!

I would agree to an extent. When we lived in Briggs Ranch, there were not many people that said hello or greeted neighbors. There are certainly more Bay Area and LA transplants there.

In our new home (well, for over two years now), it seems like we have a big BBQ on the court every weekend with all the neighbors. Then again, it might be different a street or two over. In some ways, it's just luck of the draw, probably no matter where you are in Folsom.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#32 banana

banana

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE(stevethedad @ Jun 1 2007, 08:17 AM) View Post
I think another group which might show snobbish or unfriendly traits is conservatives. Liberals tend to be much more open and friendly, where as conservatives tend to be much more guarded and reserved.

we have a winner! all you have to do is read EDF's or Al Waysrights posts to see that attitude you have described.

Who would people rather hang out with? EDF and be treated as a lessor human or StevetheDad who treats people equally?

that shouldn't be too hard to decide who the nicer person is between the two

#33 banana

banana

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Jun 1 2007, 04:27 PM) View Post
Snoob? A mix between a snob and a boob?

Buwahahahah! I can think of three letters to describe a person here who's a snoob !

#34 realtor

realtor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, Tennis, Dancing, Travel, interesting stuff and things to do.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(banana @ Jun 2 2007, 09:46 AM) View Post
we have a winner! all you have to do is read EDF's or Al Waysrights posts to see that attitude you have described.

Who would people rather hang out with? EDF and be treated as a lessor human or StevetheDad who treats people equally?

You've got to be kidding right? People who really believe that scare me...surely this was done in jest.

#35 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(banana @ Jun 2 2007, 09:46 AM) View Post

you're an idiot

#36 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:06 AM

Everyone knock off the personal insults, it's not kosher.

#37 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Jun 2 2007, 11:06 AM) View Post
Everyone knock off the personal insults, it's not kosher.

What's our definition on "snob"? Because I come from blue collar roots way back-- I would tend to see it as the Frasier Crane type (one of my fav. shows)
who look down on people for being less: less educated, less intelligent, less objective, less sophisticated, etc. BUT...are we thinking exclusiveness? I believe that all of us have a little bit of that in us-- the desire to be clubby and figure out who's "in" and who's "out" of a group that we've finally gotten "into". My friend left a mountain town in Arkansas because of this.

I hear another poster on the "crisis" part. In our old neighborhood everyone got together on the anniversary of the Loma Prieta quake. Apparently it trashed the electricity so that everyone had to cook what was in their freezers. They had this massive BBQ and liked it so much that they kept doing it every year on the anniversary. I think that after 911 all of us felt closer and as if we had something in common.

I wonder if you could have two people with about the same amount of propensity to be exclusive or cautious about relationships-- and if one is BUSIER because they're on the materialism or activity fast track...they could SEEM more exclusive/snobby whereas they're just more distant because they're not even THINKING about others in their rush??

Also...are we equating snobby with mean spirited?? Let's define and then we'll know which of us are truely the biggest snobs. smile.gif

#38 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(October15 @ Jun 2 2007, 01:08 PM) View Post
who look down on people for being less: less educated, less intelligent, less objective, less sophisticated, etc. BUT...are we thinking exclusiveness?

I think you bring up an important distinction. One may think of others as less intelligent, wealthy or sophisticated in an exclusionary way, in an attempt to differentiate themselves. But one could also think of others along those same lines, but in an inclusionary way instead.

#39 Al Waysrite

Al Waysrite

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(bishmasterb @ Jun 2 2007, 02:09 PM) View Post
I think you bring up an important distinction. One may think of others as less intelligent, wealthy or sophisticated in an exclusionary way, in an attempt to differentiate themselves. But one could also think of others along those same lines, but in an inclusionary way instead.

I have found nearly everyone has a level of intelligence/expertise in a certain field. Where I get testy or "snobbish" is when people who don't have a level of expertise in my field of knowledge(legal affairs/politics) weigh in with ridiculousness while thinking they're contributing something worthwhile.

#40 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Jun 2 2007, 02:36 PM) View Post
I have found nearly everyone has a level of intelligence/expertise in a certain field. Where I get testy or "snobbish" is when people who don't have a level of expertise in my field of knowledge(legal affairs/politics) weigh in with ridiculousness while thinking they're contributing something worthwhile.

Or perhaps they are enjoying a discussion and are learning. smile.gif
Everyone has their own view of things. Sometimes it just takes a little tolerance from both sides to see that neither side is really all that bad.

#41 banana

banana

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE(Al Waysrite @ Jun 2 2007, 10:31 AM) View Post
you're an idiot. I have found nearly everyone has a level of intelligence/expertise in a certain field. Where I get testy or "snobbish" is when people who don't have a level of expertise in my field of knowledge(legal affairs/politics) weigh in with ridiculousness while thinking they're contributing something worthwhile

If you are not a conservative, a Christian and a lawyer (shudder), then Al considers you "ridiculous" and unworthy wacko.gif

Case closed - Stevethedad was 100% accurate that conservative tend to be unfriendly and think of themselves as superior to others

I am curious however as to what political position Al has held that makes him such an expert on politics

#42 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(banana @ Jun 3 2007, 09:43 AM) View Post
If you are not a conservative, a Christian and a lawyer (shudder), then Al considers you "ridiculous" and unworthy wacko.gif

Case closed - Stevethedad was 100% accurate that conservative tend to be unfriendly and think of themselves as superior to others

I am curious however as to what political position Al has held that makes him such an expert on politics

I don't think you should lump all conservatives in the same group just like you shouldn't lump all liberals together. Stevethedad I know of liberals that are unfriendly and feel they are superior to others too.

#43 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

How many people try to make eye contact with someone else? I see that most people who do not make eye contact are usually the people who aren't interested in starting up a conversation or even just a quick hello. I think that some people will notice someone looking over at them and smile nervously-but when the other offers a genuine smile and hello -nerves go out the window. Sometimes- I think that people just are waiting for someone else to make the first move.

I love going into stores and getting stuck in a long line (well ok not really). But I do think it's fun to turn around and just start up a conversation with someone. And you always get the greatest surprises. The dollar store is the best place. It's amazing how many people from different walks of life that can be stuck in a line with you. Another great place is is the garden section cashiers at walmart. The lines are always long and it seems I always start a conversation with someone there.

Instead of assuming someone is snobby or aligned to some political bent- just look directly at their face. 2 out of three times they will look back and great frienships nearly always start in off the wall places.

#44 D's TK

D's TK

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jun 3 2007, 12:01 PM) View Post
How many people try to make eye contact with someone else? I see that most people who do not make eye contact are usually the people who aren't interested in starting up a conversation or even just a quick hello. I think that some people will notice someone looking over at them and smile nervously-but when the other offers a genuine smile and hello -nerves go out the window. Sometimes- I think that people just are waiting for someone else to make the first move.

I love going into stores and getting stuck in a long line (well ok not really). But I do think it's fun to turn around and just start up a conversation with someone. And you always get the greatest surprises. The dollar store is the best place. It's amazing how many people from different walks of life that can be stuck in a line with you. Another great place is is the garden section cashiers at walmart. The lines are always long and it seems I always start a conversation with someone there.

Instead of assuming someone is snobby or aligned to some political bent- just look directly at their face. 2 out of three times they will look back and great frienships nearly always start in off the wall places.

Hey...this is what I do too! If you are stuck standing in line, why not strike up a quick conversation? I like to talk to people and learn more about them, so I am always prone to being the first to make contact...even tho I consider myself to be somewhat on the shy side blush.gif My husband is a very wonderful man, and one of the nicest people I know but he IS very shy and doesn't usually speak unless spoken to rolleyes.gif So, I would have to agree....sometimes it's not snobbery per se, it's just shyness or nervousness smile.gif

#45 D's TK

D's TK

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE(banana @ Jun 3 2007, 09:43 AM) View Post

Okay now...this post started as a question about snobbery and/or unfriendliness in general huh.gif Attacking people on the forum personally is not appreciated, nor is it very nice. We are all allowed to have our own opinions, and to express them, but when you start naming names...that just gets ugly. I don't agree with all the opinions or views expressed here on the forum (and who does??) but name-calling doesn't change anything. And neither does lumping large groups of people (liberals, conservatives, under water basket weavers, etc.) into one category and claiming they are all alike and exhibit the same views. It's better to stick to the topic and leave the personal stuff out biggrin.gif

(unless you want to say nice stuff about someone else...then I say go for it! Everyone likes to hear that about themselves and others happy.gif )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users