31 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

I've noticed a lot of people keep their garage doors open about 1 foot. It seems more than random driving around the neigborhood. What is the purpose of this? Does this help keep the upstairs rooms cooler?

-Robert (looking for any way to keep the upstairs cooler on these hot days smile.gif )

#2 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Aug 18 2008, 03:16 PM) View Post
I've noticed a lot of people keep their garage doors open about 1 foot. It seems more than random driving around the neigborhood. What is the purpose of this? Does this help keep the upstairs rooms cooler?

-Robert (looking for any way to keep the upstairs cooler on these hot days smile.gif )

We do this to vent the garage... it gets stuffy for pooch out there.

#3 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:21 PM

I always thought it was to let the cat in.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#4 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

It makes the garage WAY cooler, which, in turn, helps with the rest of the house.

#5 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

I would assume from your question about upstairs- that you have a room above the garage-
Garage temps can be 20-30 higher than the outside temp if non insulated and all this heat will head UP to your floor above- even if it is insulated - there is a lot of heat in the garage that will push up...
If you dont have a room above but it is HOT in the garage- some of that heat will transfer to your Laundry room or whatever room is just inside the door. I have taken measurements in that area and it is 10 15 degrees higher than the rest of the house -

Also it keeps the garage cooler for storage and working. but has the best effect if there is another window or door open so air can flow out.

You might even consider running a high volume fan for a few hours in the heat of the day to clear out the garage heat.

Just my observations

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#6 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

I was going to make one of these to put in the attic above my garage to keep it cool:

http://www.solarattic.com/pcs1.htm

#7 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Aug 18 2008, 03:31 PM) View Post
I was going to make one of these to put in the attic above my garage to keep it cool:

I have considered the same as we have a perfect place for it .

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#8 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Aug 18 2008, 03:32 PM) View Post
I have considered the same as we have a perfect place for it .

My garage gets blasted by sun all day, but unfortunately the sun-side is street-facing so I wouldn't put solar panels on top.

The attic is *blazing* hot and sits directly in front of my pool pump equipment.

I figure a truck radiator and a fan (possibly even a solar-powered fan) and hook into my existing pump and I should be good to go!

#9 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Aug 18 2008, 03:31 PM) View Post

My master bedroom is above the garage. I have a pretty massive garage (I can just about park two cars front to back in any of the 3 spaces). I suspect that that just provides a great place for heat to gather. I was thinking about getting one of those attic fans and installing it in the garage. I wonder if that makes sense. Of course you would need a vent in the garage to get air flow.

-Robert

#10 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

I do it less than a foot (low enough an adult can't crawl under it) and open the side garage door in the evenings to cool off the garage. I also use a fan sitting up high to blow air out the side garage door.

but after being robbed once, it gets all locked up before going to bed, but early AM, we do the same thing before going to work as it usually is sitting 10 degrees warmer than the outside air upon getting up in the AM. We have a north facing garage, so typically on 100 degree days, it only gets to about 90 degrees if it is kept shut tight, but then that goes to heck in a hand basket as soon as my wife and I get home from work and park two hot cars inside.
I would rather be Backpacking

#11 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Aug 18 2008, 03:42 PM) View Post
My master bedroom is above the garage. I have a pretty massive garage (I can just about park two cars front to back in any of the 3 spaces). I suspect that that just provides a great place for heat to gather. I was thinking about getting one of those attic fans and installing it in the garage. I wonder if that makes sense. Of course you would need a vent in the garage to get air flow.

-Robert

Not to hijack the thread... I have a similar heat build-up situation in my garage and have long been thinking about getting a fan installed to blow hot air out through the back wall of my garage. I'm not sure that a garage attic fan would work with my layout. What sort of a contractor would do this kind of work? Any recommendations?

#12 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(mando @ Aug 18 2008, 03:56 PM) View Post
Not to hijack the thread... I have a similar heat build-up situation in my garage and have long been thinking about getting a fan installed to blow hot air out through the back wall of my garage. I'm not sure that a garage attic fan would work with my layout. What sort of a contractor would do this kind of work? Any recommendations?

Honestly, my plan was to use my sledge hammer to create the holes (one for the fan, one on the other side for venting). I need to first look at the fan offerings at Home Depot to ensure I could mount one securely that wouldn't make it easier to break into the garage.

-Robert

#13 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Aug 18 2008, 04:03 PM) View Post
Honestly, my plan was to use my sledge hammer to create the holes (one for the fan, one on the other side for venting). I need to first look at the fan offerings at Home Depot to ensure I could mount one securely that wouldn't make it easier to break into the garage.

I'd recommend a good saw to get through stucco/siding cleanly wink.gif

I figure using my pool as a heat sink will do much better than just trying to vent the air externally (on those 105' days)

#14 harrmill

harrmill

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

We have a south-facing garage and when you park two recently-driven (hot) vehicles in there on a late summer afternoon it becomes unbearable out there. We vent it by opening the garage door a few inches, and as BillZ noted - not enough for anyone to crawl in or even see anything. We also open the side door to help.

My neighbor has installed foam panels on his garage doors - I think you can get them at Home Depot and cut them to size - and they just slip into the back of the door panels (on metal doors). He reports lower temps and has the same exposure as us. The doors are also quieter.

harrmill

#15 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

What about the snakes? I'm scared to leave my garage cracked open because I don't want to have an encounter with a snake. I guess I could make a screen for that area, but would it really be a worth it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users