31 replies to this topic

#16 Leslie_R

Leslie_R

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hmmmm I just could not leave a pet in a hot garage, no matter how much the door was open.

#17 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

My garage has black doors and a black roof. Snakes couldn't survive in that heat!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#18 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(pet lover @ Aug 18 2008, 05:28 PM) View Post
What about the snakes? I'm scared to leave my garage cracked open because I don't want to have an encounter with a snake. I guess I could make a screen for that area, but would it really be a worth it?

Not to scare you or anything, but even a closed garage door at the corners probably has enough room for our slithery friends to slip through. Especially after a mouse or rat has chewed his way through the rubber seal strip.
I would rather be Backpacking

#19 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

What about the snakes? I'm scared to leave my garage cracked open because I don't want to have an encounter with a snake. I guess I could make a screen for that area, but would it really be a worth it?

--

Cats, raccoons and skunks too...
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#20 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:03 PM

Thanks! I am so glad I haven't ever had an encounter with a snake. rolleyes.gif
QUOTE(Bill Z @ Aug 18 2008, 08:13 PM) View Post
Not to scare you or anything, but even a closed garage door at the corners probably has enough room for our slithery friends to slip through. Especially after a mouse or rat has chewed his way through the rubber seal strip.

#21 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

Most of my neighbors (as do I) vent the garage door during the day and evening. And like BillZ, only a bit to hopefully prevent a not so honorable person from crawling under or leveraging up the door.

Venting the large garage door with a side door window open helps a significant amount especially as noted when we park two hot cars in there and temps are mid 90s or higher. Last year I added attic fans from Home Depot in the south facing garage and south facing "computer room\office" then had an electrician run the power. Both garage and office got uncomfortably hot and AC was running frequently. office also had 1 to 7 desktop or notebook PCs running which doesnt help. After fans were added, AC comes on less frequent, can bump the temp setting and still feel comfortable and thus AC comes on even less.

One note though. The Home Depot fans stopped working and I replaced them from the electricians supply which have been rock solid and quieter. I can barely hear the fan in the attic space above the office right now...purring and blowing out the hot air (kinda like the hot air at the capital angry.gif )

#22 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Aug 18 2008, 03:35 PM) View Post
I figure a truck radiator and a fan (possibly even a solar-powered fan) and hook into my existing pump and I should be good to go!

Be careful to use materials which work well with standard pool chemistry.
Your typical copper/brass radiator is allegedly not advised for pool use.

#23 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(stangage70 @ Aug 19 2008, 12:40 PM) View Post
Be careful to use materials which work well with standard pool chemistry.
Your typical copper/brass radiator is allegedly not advised for pool use.

Yeah, I thought about that but couldn't find specs on it. I figured copper would be bad, but aluminium would do okay.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#24 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Aug 19 2008, 12:43 PM) View Post
Yeah, I thought about that but couldn't find specs on it. I figured copper would be bad, but aluminium would do okay.

practice with the moonshine still first laugh.gif

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#25 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Aug 18 2008, 03:16 PM) View Post
I've noticed a lot of people keep their garage doors open about 1 foot. It seems more than random driving around the neigborhood. What is the purpose of this? Does this help keep the upstairs rooms cooler?

-Robert (looking for any way to keep the upstairs cooler on these hot days smile.gif )

We do it to let the cat in and out. But only when we're home, and only during the day. It stays all the way closed at night.

#26 Sonny

Sonny

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:39 PM

With insulation and fire doors the heat from the garage doesn't get into the house.

Also the heat in the garage helps out the water heater lmaosmiley.gif

#27 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(Sonny @ Aug 19 2008, 03:39 PM) View Post
With insulation and fire doors the heat from the garage doesn't get into the house.

Also the heat in the garage helps out the water heater lmaosmiley.gif

When I had a single story house I probably would have agreed with that. However, despite massive amounts of insulation it seems like there is no way to keep the heat from the garage from getting into the bedroom above.

-Robert

#28 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

I just wanted to post because we had a friendly, LOUD, intruder in our garage last night. I know Bill said snakes can sneak in, but I think leaving the door open makes it easier. Who knows for sure, but no matter the reason, be careful of snakes right now. This was a pretty decent sized one (about 2.5 feet) and had a nice loud rattle - thankfully, since I was about a foot from him. We called the Folsom FD and they took him away in their "snake pit." THANKS!

I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful right now. smile.gif

#29 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(stacycam @ Aug 31 2008, 11:15 AM) View Post
I just wanted to post because we had a friendly, LOUD, intruder in our garage last night. I know Bill said snakes can sneak in, but I think leaving the door open makes it easier. Who knows for sure, but no matter the reason, be careful of snakes right now. This was a pretty decent sized one (about 2.5 feet) and had a nice loud rattle - thankfully, since I was about a foot from him. We called the Folsom FD and they took him away in their "snake pit." THANKS!

I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful right now. smile.gif

Well, at 2.5 feet, he was a young one. Still not much meat for eating. Now a good 5 or 6 footer you could make a meal out of. So now that you had a close encounter with rattler, if you would have been bit, what would you have done? What would you have done if out in the country, away from a hospital? I know growing up, being in the Boy Scouts, we always carried a snake bite kit. I'm not sure how many people know that these days, they recommend not using snake bite kits. The emergency advice is to remain as calm and still as possible while getting to proper medical attention, no cutting at the injection site or trying to remove the poison with suction cups or anything. Stay calm and seek immediate medical care, regardless of non-immediate that may be. It seems the conclusion has been that using a snake bite kit does more harm than good.
I would rather be Backpacking

#30 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:51 AM

Mercy Folsom probably sees more rattle snake bites than most emergency rooms in the country......believe it or not.

On another note, most gable vent fans are small enought to fit between 18" wall studs. Cut the sheet rock with a roto-zip and the stucco with a sawzall/masonry blade. Both will cut like butter and the mess will be minimal. Hardest part will be wiring in power and a switch, if you have to feed it past sheetrock. Put a thermostat switch on it and it will turn on/off at temp you desire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users