Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#32 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:53 AM

What's up with the judges and lawyers wearing wigs?
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#33 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Dec 13 2007, 09:51 AM) View Post
We call those English Muffin's here

They are similar to English Muffins, however quite different.

A Muffin (US: English muffin), also known as a Hot Muffin, or a Breakfast Muffin is a round, yeast-leavened form of bread.

However, I never had an English Muffin until I was in America. But we did eat a lot of crumpets smile.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#34 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(brown @ Dec 13 2007, 09:53 AM) View Post
What's up with the judges and lawyers wearing wigs?

Tradition and respect, of which America knows little.

However, this tradition is slowly fading, too:
http://www.bloomberg...6...qU&refer=uk

#35 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Dec 13 2007, 09:50 AM) View Post
Are you gay?

No.

#36 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Dec 13 2007, 10:24 AM) View Post
Okay, if you have questions for me, or just want to rip into me, here's the place to do it.

Questions: Why are there so many British people in Folsom? Just Intel? Did you immigrate here to work specifically for that company? In other words, which came first: Immigration or the job? Will you stay here for the rest of your life or return to England?

Comment: Part of my family came from Barnstable, but that was way way back. I had a great grandfather that left there in the 1880s. Family went back to at least the 1500s though. I've never been. Do you know the place?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#37 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

When we visited England awhile back we found out that most everyone who lived there never did much traveling around the country. I think we covered 1500-2000 miles (2414 - 3218 km) biggrin.gif in 2 weeks. Most thought that was absolutely crazy. Is it true that most people there don't travel much to see their country? One of my great uncles had never left the Isle of Scilly until recently, he is in his 70's.

#38 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

Was it a hard decision to leave England?

What was the hardest thing to get used to in the U.S.? (Besides the driving on the wrong side of the road thing.)

You were looking for wine-making supplies. How did that turn out? If it was good, do you have any extra?

#39 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Dec 13 2007, 09:58 AM) View Post
Questions: Why are there so many British people in Folsom? Just Intel? Did you immigrate here to work specifically for that company? In other words, which came first: Immigration or the job? Will you stay here for the rest of your life or return to England?

I don't know. I havent met many British people here. I've actually met more Irish residents of Folsom than British. I don't work for Intel. I immigrated for my Dad's job in the south bay area. I moved up to Sacramento for the weather in 2001, and to Folsom for the community.

I will likely stay in California for the rest of my life. New Zealand is on my list, although I've never been there. It would take A LOT to get me to move back to England.

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Dec 13 2007, 09:58 AM) View Post
Comment: Part of my family came from Barnstable, but that was way way back. I had a great grandfather that left there in the 1880s. Family went back to at least the 1500s though. I've never been. Do you know the place?

Sorry, never heard of it sad.gif

#40 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Dec 13 2007, 10:03 AM) View Post
When we visited England awhile back we found out that most everyone who lived there never did much traveling around the country. I think we covered 1500-2000 miles (2414 - 3218 km) biggrin.gif in 2 weeks. Most thought that was absolutely crazy. Is it true that most people there don't travel much to see their country? One of my great uncles had never left the Isle of Scilly until recently, he is in his 70's.

I've found that true everywhere. Most people don't get out and see the world, let alone the next town or state over. I've been in 48 states where most Californians I know have barely left this one.

#41 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

What is up with all those red English phone booths?
Don't they have cell phones in England?

#42 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(ducky @ Dec 13 2007, 10:04 AM) View Post
Was it a hard decision to leave England?

What was the hardest thing to get used to in the U.S.? (Besides the driving on the wrong side of the road thing.)

I moved with my parents for my Dad's work. It was supposed to be a temporary move (2 years maybe 3). That was in 1987.

It was very hard leaving friends and family. All of my family is still back there, and I rarely make it out to see them.

The hardest thing I'd say about the U.S. was peoples attitudes. People here are very self-serving and self-protecting. In England, you can just walk in a straight line where you want to go, crossing through beautiful country, fields, church land, etc. Here, someone's liable, and there's 8 signs that say "don't step on the grass".

That might just be a sign of the times, however England was still a lot more relaxed about such things the last time I was there.

QUOTE(ducky @ Dec 13 2007, 10:04 AM) View Post
You were looking for wine-making supplies. How did that turn out? If it was good, do you have any extra?

I made 15 gallons of Fairplay Cabernet Sauvignon. So far, it's awesome! With aging, it should turn out to be a wonderful wine. I'm especially excited, because it's vintage is the year my first son was born. I hope a few bottles will keep until his 21st birthday. I made a high acid, good tannin, relatively high alcohol wine so hopefully it will age very nicely...

#43 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:10 AM

Have you ever shopped at Aspreys?

#44 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Dec 13 2007, 10:09 AM) View Post
What is up with all those red English phone booths?
Don't they have cell phones in England?

It's always raining. You have to have that level of cover when on a payphone or you'd be soaked.

Cell phones are quite popular. I would say English kids picked up "texting" sooner than the US, namely because the services were cheaper, flat rate, and more available than the crappy US monopoly phone companies.

All the kids have camera phones and are constantly texting, but that seems to be the norm anywhere now.

#45 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE(traceyl @ Dec 13 2007, 10:10 AM) View Post
Have you ever shopped at Aspreys?

Nope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users