258 replies to this topic

#16 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

It is a bad thing for an adult. Don't you think you should at least have a clue as to what you're voting for or against and why? I'm all for Folsom and first place but it should be earned right? Our town is obviously taking advantage of our social media skills and winning the race here.

I'd hope you teach your kids to not just blindly vote on things, ya know, like for president and such.

In this situation I think it's okay to vote in your own self-interest. I want my kids to benefit from the technology; therefore I am voting for Sutter. The content of the videos would not change my vote, so why invest time watching them.

I suppose if I were voting altruistically, I would find out which school was most disadvantaged and cast my vote accordingly. --Do you really contend I am morally required to do that?

It's an interesting philosophical question. This was actually addressed by a philosopher named Peter Singer who asked, "Why is it okay to give more consideration to those close to you --friends, family, etc.-- than people far away? Ten dollars does far more good for a starving African child than it does to buy your kid the latest iTunes, so are we morally required to send all our disposable cash to the people most in need?" Singer concluded that no, we are not required to give equal consideration to all humans; it's okay to prefer your own family, friends, neighbors etc. I will confess, I don't remember how he reached this conclusion, though. (sheepish)

#17 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

I'm voting with my five valid and already created email accounts each day! :2thumbsup:

#18 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

In this situation I think it's okay to vote in your own self-interest. I want my kids to benefit from the technology; therefore I am voting for Sutter. The content of the videos would not change my vote, so why invest time watching them.

I suppose if I were voting altruistically, I would find out which school was most disadvantaged and cast my vote accordingly. --Do you really contend I am morally required to do that?

It's an interesting philosophical question. This was actually addressed by a philosopher named Peter Singer who asked, "Why is it okay to give more consideration to those close to you --friends, family, etc.-- than people far away? Ten dollars does far more good for a starving African child than it does to buy your kid the latest iTunes, so are we morally required to send all our disposable cash to the people most in need?" Singer concluded that no, we are not required to give equal consideration to all humans; it's okay to prefer your own family, friends, neighbors etc. I will confess, I don't remember how he reached this conclusion, though. (sheepish)

It's impossible for anyone to help everyone else in the world, nor why should it be an expectation to help total strangers in remote parts of the planet. I see nothing wrong with helping those you know or have some sort of connection to and not helping all of the others in the world. It's a ridiculous expectation to help all of those more needy than yourself.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#19 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

I hate these contests, because it's no difference

But, honestly these companies need the write off and this is how they want to do it, they can. NOW, where is all of that lottery money the schools were promised?

Sutter looks like an abandoned ghost school. Rotten bleachers, pipes spill sewage frequently, cockroaches in the classrooms, garabge all over the place-such a sense of pride it must be for the students to attend there. ANd you don't even want to know about the bathrooms. This school has great teachers, but lacks so much infrastructure, that a $100,000 grant is great, but how about cleaning the school better, replacing broken/dangerous equipment and perhaps calling a pest control company once in a while and it would be nice not to see garbage strewn everywhere on the track....The students that represent the school don't fit the schools physical surroundings.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#20 puppylover

puppylover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Are you Gottasmile????

#21 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

But, honestly these companies need the write off and this is how they want to do it, they can. NOW, where is all of that lottery money the schools were promised?

Sutter looks like an abandoned ghost school. Rotten bleachers, pipes spill sewage frequently, cockroaches in the classrooms, garabge all over the place-such a sense of pride it must be for the students to attend there. ANd you don't even want to know about the bathrooms. This school has great teachers, but lacks so much infrastructure, that a $100,000 grant is great, but how about cleaning the school better, replacing broken/dangerous equipment and perhaps calling a pest control company once in a while and it would be nice not to see garbage strewn everywhere on the track....The students that represent the school don't fit the schools physical surroundings.

When you find a contest to fund infrastructure, let us know and we'll vote on that one, too. In the mean time, the fact that the school needs infrastructure monies has nothing to do with whether or not we should vote for technology resources that are available now.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#22 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Are you Gottasmile????

Well, I'll just keep on voting. We're pulling ahead right now, yay!

#23 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

No, I'm not Gottasmile, just Asbestos.....
The reason for the bleeping negativity is b/c all we do is throw good money after bad to the public schools and I'm sick of paying my taxes to my kids' school that looks abandoned. Where the hell does the money go, b/c it doesn't go to our Folsom schools. Perhaps, like me the other posters are just sick of the way we have to beg companies to fund our schools when the lottery money plus the taxes we pay still aren't enough to bring our classrooms up to date and we are still teaching like the 1950s. My God they have two books b/c they can't have lockers, just in case some dumb kid brings mj to school. The rest of the world doesn't have to teach, not bullying or spend hours on why not to drugs. How about some seminars on how to get into college early, how to pick a major that doesn't leave you debt ridden, etc. This country is going down. The schools don't fit the needs of the children and the graduation rates are horrible in California b/c of this.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#24 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

No, I'm not Gottasmile, just Asbestos.....
The reason for the bleeping negativity is b/c all we do is throw good money after bad to the public schools and I'm sick of paying my taxes to my kids' school that looks abandoned. Where the hell does the money go, b/c it doesn't go to our Folsom schools. Perhaps, like me the other posters are just sick of the way we have to beg companies to fund our schools when the lottery money plus the taxes we pay still aren't enough to bring our classrooms up to date and we are still teaching like the 1950s. My God they have two books b/c they can't have lockers, just in case some dumb kid brings mj to school. The rest of the world doesn't have to teach, not bullying or spend hours on why not to drugs. How about some seminars on how to get into college early, how to pick a major that doesn't leave you debt ridden, etc. This country is going down. The schools don't fit the needs of the children and the graduation rates are horrible in California b/c of this.

Can't find anything to do with the topic at hand.
This isn't coming from your taxes. It is a private company giving away money in a contest.

Have you been to Sutter Middle lately? There's been quite a few improvements over the years. If there's is trash or gum on the ground, perhaps it's more a matter of teaching our children to clean up after themselves than a matter of lack of funds.

Everybody else, please remember to vote every day:)

#25 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

I find it odd you're checking out the bathrooms there. You sure have a lot of free time on your hands. I'm jealous, I'm too busy working all day long to check out every school restroom on campus.

#26 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

I find attitude is a choice. There are those who choose to be bitter most of the time and I guess they live a life of never being happy. Then there are those that choose to be happy and look for the good things in life to talk about, think about, and enjoy. I think sometimes even the choice of ones User ID speaks of their general attitude in life. why someone would choose to name themselves after a cancer causing substance found in the local land I think speaks volumes about how they see life. I know the general attitude of their posts seems to support my conclusion.

#27 Dude

Dude

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

More than $1,000,000 worth of technology, WOW, that's six zeros, I better go get my glasses!

Voting for my local School is plenty reason enough for me, I don't feel it compares to a political vote. Anyway, if they don't have the best deserving video now, they soon will with that budget.

Being that the voting ends at 9PM PST on a Monday night, the only votes that matter to me are the ones at that time every night. So far, at least for the past few nights I've been looking, we are always ahead.

I BCCed all in my address book (even friends and relatives overseas are voting), posted a link on my site, been handing out mini business cards to all likely voters I run into around town, and posted in Craigslist.

LOL... it's like NY vs CA but without the football this time.

#28 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

More than $1,000,000 worth of technology, WOW, that's six zeros, I better go get my glasses!

Voting for my local School is plenty reason enough for me, I don't feel it compares to a political vote. Anyway, if they don't have the best deserving video now, they soon will with that budget.

Being that the voting ends at 9PM PST on a Monday night, the only votes that matter to me are the ones at that time every night. So far, at least for the past few nights I've been looking, we are always ahead.

I BCCed all in my address book (even friends and relatives overseas are voting), posted a link on my site, been handing out mini business cards to all likely voters I run into around town, and posted in Craigslist.

LOL... it's like NY vs CA but without the football this time.

Very cool! and you have a great forum ID too!

#29 Dude

Dude

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

:lmaosmiley:

#30 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

They're way down again, please vote everyone!

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users