• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rickykicks

Rickykicks

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:I like everything from hiking in the foothills to playing world of warcraft on my laptop. I've a conservative my nature and I fully support the brave men and woman serving overseas in our great military, may god bring them home safe! <br /><br />I work at The Hartford Insurance Agency, Workers Comp Division and I go to school at Folsom Lake College and study Anthropology.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

The Kobob house behind the KFC on east bidwell, the one right next to the laundry mat?

I went there for the first time on monday, I had mixed feelings on it. First off, the service
was outstanding, the waiting and owner (I think) was quick on refills and brought out our food
hot and at the perfect times. I found the place very clean and the ambiance very neat and in
touch with the greek style. However I felt the food lacked in quality for it's price. I got
the Gyro and for the price I really feel I could of got a higher quality and quantaty of food
at the local red robin.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.
Robert A. Heinlein

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

Never insult anyone by accident.
Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

#2 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

I've been going there for many years and I think the food and service are excellent. Rocky is super nice guy and has not raised his prices in several years. You notice all the other "Kabob" places don't last while Kabob house has been around for at least 15 years??

I think your comparison to Red Robin is a joke to say the least. Try the Garlic Chicken Pita next time.

#3 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

I've been a few times and I like the food. Sadly, my family doesn't love that type of food, so I don't get to go as often as I might like.

#4 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:53 AM

I've been a fan since I was first introduced to it in 1997. It is a bit pricey for basic ingredients, but I still find it tasty and worth it. I've never had a bad meal or experience with the staff.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

I've been a fan since I was first introduced to it in 1997. It is a bit pricey for basic ingredients, but I still find it tasty and worth it. I've never had a bad meal or experience with the staff.

I wish there were more vegetables on the menu. And I wish it was easier to get one chicken kabob and one vegetable kabob. I like to not just have meat and rice for dinner. quality, service, etc. always good.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#6 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

I'm a quarter Greek and I approve this restaurant. Haven't been in quite awhile, but always like it there.

#7 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

ditto on all the postive comments.

Quantity, well most places overfeed for a meal, that's why america is obese, so I welcome a dinnerplate that doesn't require I take half my meal home as leftovers.

Quality, what was it about the quality that you didn't like? burnt? undercooked? over-salted? bland?(Did you try the tzatziki sauce)

#8 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

Try the Garlic Chicken Pita next time.

Yep. Yum.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#9 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

The Kobob house behind the KFC on east bidwell, the one right next to the laundry mat?

I went there for the first time on monday, I had mixed feelings on it. First off, the service
was outstanding, the waiting and owner (I think) was quick on refills and brought out our food
hot and at the perfect times. I found the place very clean and the ambiance very neat and in
touch with the greek style. However I felt the food lacked in quality for it's price. I got
the Gyro and for the price I really feel I could of got a higher quality and quantaty of food
at the local red robin.

I love the Kebab House, but find their Gyro meat greasy -- so I order other things. Overall I find the food very good, although I make better Dolmathes! LOL
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#10 Rickykicks

Rickykicks

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:I like everything from hiking in the foothills to playing world of warcraft on my laptop. I've a conservative my nature and I fully support the brave men and woman serving overseas in our great military, may god bring them home safe! <br /><br />I work at The Hartford Insurance Agency, Workers Comp Division and I go to school at Folsom Lake College and study Anthropology.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

I will say it again, the staff and everything to do with that was outstand, not one complaint
about it, I just thought that $12 for five pieces of seasoned very thin cut ground beef
is kinda pricey.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.
Robert A. Heinlein

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.
Robert A. Heinlein

Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

Never insult anyone by accident.
Robert A. Heinlein

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

#11 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

I will say it again, the staff and everything to do with that was outstand, not one complaint
about it, I just thought that $12 for five pieces of seasoned very thin cut ground beef
is kinda pricey.

Has anyone here been to the grocery store lately? Have you seen how prices are up and packages are smaller? I spent liek $25 bucks at Smash Burger and was ready to go to Taco Bell afterwards to get filled up.

The sliced beef and rice and pita bread that you get in that meal is a decent size for the price.

#12 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

I concur, the service is excellent. But for some strange reason, I think the food at their sister restaurant on Fulton in Sac is better. Could that be? I always get the garlic chicken sandwich, and the one from the Fulton restaruant is alwasy so frifkin' good!!!! The Folsom one...eh, not as good. Can't put my finger on it, but it's dicernably different.

#13 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

I am a Greek food snob. I have been to several places including the Kabob House in Folsom. So far, the only place that passes muster for me is the Greek Village Inn on Fair Oaks Blvd in Sacto. Opa Opa is also decent, but not as good as GVI.
If I am ordering from the Kabob house, I always order the Garlic Chicken and I squirt some fresh lemon juice over it.
Usually, I just make my own greek food.
Horiatiki (Greek salad) is dead easy and I am very particular about my Tsatziki sauce ( must be very garlicky).
Seriously, If you like Greek food, do yourself a favor and try the Greek Village Inn...
or if you happen to be in Carmel By The Sea- Demetra Cafe is also EXCELLENT!

Edited to add : The Avgolemono soup at the Greek Village Inn is the best I've had. Also GREAT Saganaki as well.
Whole Foods of all places has really good Dolmathes in their fresh deli section and Costco has great frozen Spanakopita.

#14 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

is kinda pricey.

I like that restaurant but haven't been there very often for the reason you stated.
These days with money tighter I'm always looking for both good quality AND pricing.

Here's a comparison of a similar item at our local Mediterranean restaurants:
Gyro sandwich (strips of seasoned beef served with tzatziki sauce and pita bread).

Kabab House $7.95
Pita Pita Mediterranean Grill $5.99
Kabab Express $6.99

Key notes: Kabab House is a nice sit down restaurant with a good ambiance. Pita Pita is a smaller fast food type restaurant and the same goes for Kabab Express. So to me, the higher price at Kabab House is justified by the location/ambiance. That place is nicer for a sit down meal where as the other two are better for take out.

I've tried the gyro at all these places and without being biased just towards the lower price, I have to say Pita Pita actually made my favorite, everything tasted fresh and spiced and cooked perfectly....Kabab House was a close second.

:cheers:
Cheers!

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#15 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

I like that restaurant but haven't been there very often for the reason you stated.
These days with money tighter I'm always looking for both good quality AND pricing.

Here's a comparison of a similar item at our local Mediterranean restaurants:
Gyro sandwich (strips of seasoned beef served with tzatziki sauce and pita bread).

Kabab House $7.95
Pita Pita Mediterranean Grill $5.99
Kabab Express $6.99

Key notes: Kabab House is a nice sit down restaurant with a good ambiance. Pita Pita is a smaller fast food type restaurant and the same goes for Kabab Express. So to me, the higher price at Kabab House is justified by the location/ambiance. That place is nicer for a sit down meal where as the other two are better for take out.

I've tried the gyro at all these places and without being biased just towards the lower price, I have to say Pita Pita actually made my favorite, everything tasted fresh and spiced and cooked perfectly....Kabab House was a close second.

:cheers:
Cheers!

We went there the other day and the owner/manager was great. He had a big tray of baklava and brought us over a piece on the house. Yum! The food was great, especially for the price. I hope they stay around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users