#1 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Everything food...

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

It is our wedding anniversary in December and we want to go some place special. What recommendations do you have for a good restaurant in Sacramento?

We both plan to take off and spend the whole day to ourselves. I was told that there is a restaurant that serves just desserts, does anyone know which one it is?

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:52 PM

Early Happy Anniversary. Yes, Rick's does wonderful desserts. It isn't a large or fancy place, but the desserts are exquisite. Give me a second... I'll look it up for you.

Rick's Dessert Diner
2322 K St
Sacramento, CA 95816

(916) 444-0969

BTW -- Where are you going for dinner? Biba is one of our favorites for gourmet Italian food. For a VERY special meal, I'd recommend The Kitchen, but they generally book up months in advance. You could call to see if they've had any cancellations. This is an expensive place (last I checked it was $125/person) but is well worth it.

Edit: Yep, $125. Here's the link: http://www.thekitchenrestaurant.com/

Oh, and if you go to The Kitchen, dessert is included in the meal.

Another restaurant suggestion: Casablanca for Moraccan food. It's located on Fair Oaks Blvd. off of Watt. Wonderful atmosphere and hospitality, excellent food and service, relaxed, fun... They typically have belly dancing on weekends (not sure about during the week). Come to think of it, we're due to go back soon.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(notsure @ Nov 30 2006, 02:07 PM) View Post

It is our wedding anniversary in December and we want to go some place special. What recommendations do you have for a good restaurant in Sacramento?

We both plan to take off and spend the whole day to ourselves. I was told that there is a restaurant that serves just desserts, does anyone know which one it is?

Rick's Dessert Diner is good, but I've always preferred the desserts at The Tower Cafe instead.

There are lots of good restaurants in Sacramento. Aioli Bodega Espaņola at 18th & L Street in Midtown is one of my favorites and is very romantic to boot.

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

The Il Fornio restaurant downtown has wonderful desserts and a great atmosphere. white table clothes and high ceilings, marble floors, etc. Ricks really does feel like a diner, not what I would call a special place. In December I would think you would want to feel warm and elegant. That's not Ricks. That is Il Fornio though. You can even see the kitchen fires!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#5 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:16 PM

Okay, I'll have to be the first vote AGAINST Rick's Dessert Diner, I guess. Jesse and I did the same thing on our anniversary weekend. Went somewhere specifically for the dessert, as a treat to ourselves. Especially since I'm on Weight Watchers, I was really wanting to have a FANTASTIC dessert since I was allowing myself the treat.

We were underwhelmed. It wasn't horrible, by any stretch, but not wonderful either. Perhaps it was what we ordered (a cream puff, that the pastry part was extremely dry on) and the chocolate/chocolate/chocolate cake (don't remember the name, but it too was extremely dry). We didn't finish either one (maybe wouldn't have anyway, since they were such large servings), as they were just not very good.

He said that he almost preferred the fudge mountain cake you get at black angus to the fudge/chocolate cake from Rick's.

I will second Il Fornio. They are a great place! I have also heard good things about The Tower Cafe, as mentioned, but have not personally been.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(Jolene @ Nov 30 2006, 04:16 PM) View Post

Okay, I'll have to be the first vote AGAINST Rick's Dessert Diner, I guess. Jesse and I did the same thing on our anniversary weekend. Went somewhere specifically for the dessert, as a treat to ourselves. Especially since I'm on Weight Watchers, I was really wanting to have a FANTASTIC dessert since I was allowing myself the treat.

We were underwhelmed. It wasn't horrible, by any stretch, but not wonderful either. Perhaps it was what we ordered (a cream puff, that the pastry part was extremely dry on) and the chocolate/chocolate/chocolate cake (don't remember the name, but it too was extremely dry). We didn't finish either one (maybe wouldn't have anyway, since they were such large servings), as they were just not very good.

He said that he almost preferred the fudge mountain cake you get at black angus to the fudge/chocolate cake from Rick's.

I will second Il Fornio. They are a great place! I have also heard good things about The Tower Cafe, as mentioned, but have not personally been.

Rick's, IMHO, is overrated. Tower's food is good, but not as good as their desserts! The yin/yang cake is one of my all-time favorite desserts.

Yin and Yang - Rich chocolate cheesecake layered with vanilla mousse and glazed with a bittersweet chocolate band.

Yikes! I can't believe I forgot Moxie. At H & 20th, it's my favorite Sacramento restaurant!

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Nov 30 2006, 05:01 PM) View Post

Rick's, IMHO, is overrated.

You know, we haven't been to Rick's in a few years. I'm surprised at the comments today and wonder if they're not putting out the same quality as before. sad.gif
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#8 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Nov 30 2006, 05:44 PM) View Post

You know, we haven't been to Rick's in a few years. I'm surprised at the comments today and wonder if they're not putting out the same quality as before. sad.gif

Thanks all of you! I will let you know where I go and how it was

#9 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

I agree with cw68 and Jolene. No on Rick's, yes on Tower.

I also love Il Fornaio. Not really romantic, but great atmosphere, good food, and I think it's gorgeous.

You know what place has KILLER desserts? Claim Jumper! OMG! They are so good. The chocolate chip calzone is to die for. Not a good anniversary place, but worth a try someday.

#10 Jaxx

Jaxx

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(stacycam @ Nov 30 2006, 06:47 PM) View Post

I agree with cw68 and Jolene. No on Rick's, yes on Tower.

I also love Il Fornaio. Not really romantic, but great atmosphere, good food, and I think it's gorgeous.

You know what place has KILLER desserts? Claim Jumper! OMG! They are so good. The chocolate chip calzone is to die for. Not a good anniversary place, but worth a try someday.

Claim Jumper gives gigantic portion sizes, but are desserts really that good or does big equal good?

#11 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Jaxx @ Nov 30 2006, 06:55 PM) View Post

Claim Jumper gives gigantic portion sizes, but are desserts really that good or does big equal good?

I think the desserts are really that good. Not all, but the ones I've tried, especially the choc chip calzone. A few of the desserts are ridiculously huge, but some are more manageable for 2-3 people. I don't think they have a dessert for one person...?

As for their food.....I guess they have the market cornered on size, but I can take or leave the food.

#12 3heningers

3heningers

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:26 AM

I would suggest Fondue for dessert. If you are downtown you can go to the melting pot. You cant beat dipping strawberries in chocolate if you are looking for a little romance. I just think it is yummy (and if you get dark chocolate and dip fruit it is kinda healthy, right?) And it goes great with a glass of wine (or two).

#13 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(3heningers @ Dec 1 2006, 08:26 AM) View Post
And it goes great with a glass of wine (or two).

Or Muscat w/ a chocolate fondue. Mmmm....
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#14 notsure

notsure

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(3heningers @ Dec 1 2006, 08:26 AM) View Post

I would suggest Fondue for dessert. If you are downtown you can go to the melting pot. You cant beat dipping strawberries in chocolate if you are looking for a little romance. I just think it is yummy (and if you get dark chocolate and dip fruit it is kinda healthy, right?) And it goes great with a glass of wine (or two).

Melting pot sounds fun & romantic...hmmm

#15 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE(Jaxx @ Nov 30 2006, 06:55 PM) View Post

or does big equal good?

hmmmmm....sounds like a "size doesnt matter" argument! lmaosmiley.gif
We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users