• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CataBird

CataBird

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:My interests are varied, read my websites, and Yahoo Messenger profile. Aaahhh, finally! My Geocities websites are updated. It appears Yahoo has improved PageBuilder so it loads a LOT faster. What a relief! Anyway, now you can check out my sites! Always begin with http://www.geocities.com/catabird. Ciao, Baby!

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:17 PM

Alright, "Techno-God" Merlin: bowdown.gif

Here's your first computer technical support question! tongue.gif

First, some background to help you understand where I'm coming from....

Between June 28th and July 7th of this year, I had to repeatedly erase ("write zeros to") and format (and REformat) my Gateway Performance 1000 Pentium III 1000MHZ computer's 40 GB hard-drive by myself for the first time due to Gateway closing its stores and local service centers. This means I re-installed Windows ME O/S using the Gateway Restoration CDs that came with my PC for the first time since purchasing it in April 2001.

During the re-installation process, the Restoration CDs alarmingly reported that certain O/S files were not available on the CDs for re-installation, yet the Gateway Support technicians I asked about this claimed those files were not necessary. Of course, for whatever reason, all system file names are giberish, so I don't know what they are, what they are for, nor what they do. banghead.gif

All I know is, ever since July 7th, I have a funky folder on my hard-drive called, "WINDOWS/SYSTEM/UNKNOWN." I cannot find out any information about this folder, nor can I see any files when I open it in Windows Explore--not even hidden files. However, Norton AntiVirus 2004 scans files in it when it checks for viruses (without revealing any file names). confused.gif

I can pull it up when I run a search for the folder by name, but when I try to open the folder, there appears to be nothing there. The WINDOWS/SYSTEM/UNKNOWN folder also shows up in the WINDOWS directory on MS-DOS, but shows 0 files.

Here's my Question: What is up with this folder, and why is it such a mystery?
--CataBird

The Believing Blog is back! Wanna See? My Blog

There's even MORE available! Check out Enduring Christian Dogma on Blogger.com!

"He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him." --Proverbs 14:2

#2 Merlin

Merlin

Title Space for Sale

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:07 PM

as far as I know, its a folder for system files, and the reason you cannot see them at all, is so that you don't actually screw up with the files in it, which in turn screw up your comp pretty badly. just ignore the folder, but do no delete it.

Also, why are you running on WinME? I finally got a WinXP, and the difference is incredible. I would say it would be time to upgrade your computer's OS. I wouldn't recommend Office 2000, since all the problems I'd had with one at school. Most people are realizing how much better XP really is. Back to the question again, like I've said, its mostly system files and I would highly recommend you just leave them alone.

#3 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:57 AM

Merlin----Not too long ago----maybe June-----I took my computer in for a tune-up since I know nuttin' "tecknickle"!!!

A few days ago I received a message I thought from Outlook Express asking if I wanted to have a free spam blocker. Since I thought it was legit I went for it.

Now Ihave a running ad below the address bar with ads. I deleted the AdWare program but the running ad is still there and my whole computer action is slower including what I type in.

I run my up-graded virus scan every 2 or 3 days. The last time it said I nad no virus infections but there was one "qustionable" program. I used the "quarantine" option. Later I deleted the program from my program list. It (AdWasre) now reads "empty".

Do I need to take it in for another professional tune up, or do I need to contact my IP (SBC DSL), or is there something SIMPLE I can do?

#4 CoachWeise

CoachWeise

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:45 AM

AdAware and/or Spybot Search and Destroy are programs you do want on your PC... The typicaly user should run one of these programs along with a virus checker.

What it sounds like is that you've got some sort of a spyware program running on your PC and it needs to get removed. Most virus checkers will not remove spyware but the above programs do...

Spybot: http://www.spybot.info
AdAware: http://www.lavasoftu...ftware/adaware/

Coach Weise.

#5 Merlin

Merlin

Title Space for Sale

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:49 AM

yes, those are very helpful programs to have no matter what.

#6 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:53 AM

IF this is a program that she was offered to download and install (which we all have seen in popups), her PC may not view this as a virus or spyware but as a legitimately loaded program which creates the new toolbar in her browser. I've had these (thanks to my kids) and simply went into the control panel/add or remove programs, found it and removed it.

#7 CataBird

CataBird

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:My interests are varied, read my websites, and Yahoo Messenger profile. Aaahhh, finally! My Geocities websites are updated. It appears Yahoo has improved PageBuilder so it loads a LOT faster. What a relief! Anyway, now you can check out my sites! Always begin with http://www.geocities.com/catabird. Ciao, Baby!

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:17 PM

Merlin,

"Also, why are you running on WinME?"

Long story short, Microsoft has never created the ultimate OS, as far as I'm concerned.

My sister bought a PC from Gateway about a year after I did, with XP Home Edition, and her PC has always been nothing but trouble--much like mine. In fact, she had to replace her hard-drive a year later. I had to replace my hard-drive within my 3-year warranty, so luckily I did not have to pay for the new hd.

But MS software is always expensive, so not worth upgrading constantly. Plus, I don't plan on keeping this PC too much longer (I paid over $2,000 for this PC and its software). I refuse to waste my money on more software for a PC that is not long for this world. I only wish this PC had worked properly for even a few months--something it has never done!

Don't worry, Gateway knows I will never buy from them again. I made that abundantly clear to them!

--CataBird

The Believing Blog is back! Wanna See? My Blog

There's even MORE available! Check out Enduring Christian Dogma on Blogger.com!

"He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him." --Proverbs 14:2

#8 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:25 PM

Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux! Linux!

biggrin.gif usa.gif great.gif
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#9 Merlin

Merlin

Title Space for Sale

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 06:19 AM

Um Linux? You must be joking joker.gif . I would rather have Windows any day. Also, as far as some computer prices, we recently got a E-Machines, which I haven't had any problems yet with, that came loaded. Just need to replace the Graphics card cuse it is very poor. We only paid about $700 for it. Good deal thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#10 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:39 AM

1st thing to do is start running Mozilla Firefox. This browser is still in beta, however you will not get all of those annoying popups and your chances of downloading a virus are much slimmer than they would using MS Internet Explorer. I believe the latest version of Firefox is 1.0PR. It can be found at:

http://www.mozilla.o...roducts/firefox

Make sure you read all the documentation prior to installing it.
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#11 CoachWeise

CoachWeise

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:31 AM

Linux is a great operating system, but it is not for the casual PC user or the general home user... Since it is not as mainstream of a DESKTOP OS as Windows is, it is not a good choice... Yes, with OpenOffice and other free products that attempt to provide compatibility with products that run on MS, the bottom line is that not everything works making Linux a good option only for those willing to accept the additional problems that come with it. Due to business needs and other issues I only use linux as a server OS not a desktop OS.

FireFox is also a great product... Not perfect and not for everyone, but a great product nonetheless. Your chances of getting a virus will go down by using it, but as with everything in life there are tradeoffs. The biggest tradeoff is that pages that use ActiveX and certain other media plug-ins will no longer function, including Windows Update... Granted, since IE is built into the OS you can still bring it up for those functions when needed, but looking at the casual home user this is more effort then they are willing to put forth...

Coach Weise.

#12 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(Merlin @ Sep 28 2004, 06:19 AM)
Um Linux? You must be joking joker.gif .  I would rather have Windows any day.  Also, as far as some computer prices, we recently got a E-Machines, which I haven't had any problems yet with, that came loaded.  Just need to replace the Graphics card cuse it is very poor.  We only paid about $700 for it.  Good deal thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

View Post

Oh Merlin.... at such a young age and already being left behind the new movement! biggrin.gif

Linux baby!!! Linux baby!!! Linux baby!!! Linux baby!!! Linux baby!!!

"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#13 zach5

zach5

Superstar

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:41 AM

yes linux = good. I am using it alot now for my desktop pc, just running xwindows and windowmaker or kde
Come Support Me This Year For Relay For Life!
http://www.acsevents.../ca/folsom/zach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users