60 replies to this topic

#1 FatBear

FatBear

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:00 AM

As I pulled out of my garage this morning, I noticed the neighbors cars had tickets on the windshields...

Just curious if anyone else saw anything like these, or if its an isolated incident...

I know (pretty sure) the parking is a violation of the CC&Rs, but is it also a city ordinance? If its not a City violation, then the offender must have been "reported" by someone (I can't see the Police bothing with this otherwise).

I understand the desire to keep the neighborhood looking nice, but I wonder if anybody contacted the "offender" and tried to work things out first??? Just curious if somebody tried to work something out, and be neighborly, or just went straight to the authorities... IMO, the authorities should be the last resort...

I didn't look at the ticket, so I don't know if its a fine, or just a warning... Ironic though, because I am pretty sure I saw the "offender" driving one of the cars yesterday or the day before (I think the CC&Rs state "72 hours")...

#2 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

Without knowing what the ticket was for, it's hard to offer comment. Any idea? You said "tickets", so was this the case of a seemingly abandoned vehicle?

If it was a neighbor, it would be neighborly to let someone else know if they were parked illegally (seeing the other thread under Folsom General discussion, I let my visiting father-in-law know to park his car so that he wasn't on the curb, since they've been ticketing for that lately).

It all depends on the circumstance(s), the violation (blocking a fire hydrant is the one that fires me up, and EVERYONE should know better) and, maybe, the frequency of the violation. If it was a neighbor, there is also the possibility (not saying right or wrong) that one party may have felt that they wanted to avoid a confrontation, whether that fear is/ was warranted or not.

It might just be the case (and I am behind the PD's efforts, if this is the case) that the PD is out looking to enforce parking violations to drum up more revenue for the City during a time of budget cuts. Enforcing the law is a good thing, although, in the Spirit of the Season, I guess they could have used December as a "warning" month and then dropped the hammer on violators starting in the new year. Then again, our City needs the flow.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#3 Fan4Ricci

Fan4Ricci

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

I had friends visiting last weekend and they went home with a lovely holiday gift from the Foslom PD. A parking ticket for parking 2 inches on the sidewalk. No really we measured it! He was trying not to park in the path of the water running down our street (since we have issues all the time with water backup) My poor friend has never received a ticket in his life! So, now the City of Folsom is only in debt by $8.4 million minus $20.00. Nice.
This is our life. It's all that we get. The days are all numbered and the nights are all spent - Rob Thomas "Snowblind" -2009

#4 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Fan4Ricci @ Dec 29 2008, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had friends visiting last weekend and they went home with a lovely holiday gift from the Foslom PD. A parking ticket for parking 2 inches on the sidewalk. No really we measured it! He was trying not to park in the path of the water running down our street (since we have issues all the time with water backup) My poor friend has never received a ticket in his life! So, now the City of Folsom is only in debt by $8.4 million minus $20.00. Nice.

give me a break, water running down the gutters having to make a minor detour around car tires does not ever cause any kind of water backup problems.

Let's be real folks!!!
I would rather be Backpacking

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:59 PM

Think it is time to talk to the police chief, Sam Spiegel, and find out what is going on in Folsom.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

There's a city ordinance against parking on the street for more than 72 hours. The police will ticket if they get a complaint. It's to avoid the abandoned car look/feel. I reported one once that had webs gathering underneath with leaves caught in the webs, etc. It was a nice car (black BMW), but appeared to have been abandoned although when the police stopped by and gave them a warning notice they pulled it into the driveway.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#7 Fan4Ricci

Fan4Ricci

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Dec 29 2008, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
give me a break, water running down the gutters having to make a minor detour around car tires does not ever cause any kind of water backup problems.

Let's be real folks!!!

I am REAL and I have real issues with water backing up into my yard when the flow is blocked... The city does nothing to help as I have tried. It has caused flooding in my front and back yards.
This is our life. It's all that we get. The days are all numbered and the nights are all spent - Rob Thomas "Snowblind" -2009

#8 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Fan4Ricci @ Dec 29 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am REAL and I have real issues with water backing up into my yard when the flow is blocked... The city does nothing to help as I have tried. It has caused flooding in my front and back yards.

Storm drains backing up is a real problem, car tires in the gutter path is not.

Be real!!!
I would rather be Backpacking

#9 FatBear

FatBear

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (tessieca @ Dec 29 2008, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a city ordinance against parking on the street for more than 72 hours. The police will ticket if they get a complaint. It's to avoid the abandoned car look/feel. I reported one once that had webs gathering underneath with leaves caught in the webs, etc. It was a nice car (black BMW), but appeared to have been abandoned although when the police stopped by and gave them a warning notice they pulled it into the driveway.

I looked closer, and they are City of Folsom parking citations (I couldn't read what the violation was because it was a faint carbon copy). The cars aren't on the sidewalk...

But they are parked for extended periods of time (one gets driven about every week, but the other rarely seems to move). They are nice condition and they don't really look "abandoned" (and I see them everyday)...

I think the City should require builders to build larger garages when they build new homes... Not that it would totally help, but I know my garage, even when completely empty of storage, is a tight fit for my family's cars... I know my garage door is only 15 feet wide, whereas the "typical" door is 16 feet wide... I guess Forecast homes saved a few dollars with the smaller doors (I have seen other Forecats Homes in different cities that also use the 15-foot wide doors).

#10 FatBear

FatBear

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Dec 29 2008, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Storm drains backing up is a real problem, car tires in the gutter path is not.

Not knowing the specifics, I would have to agree with Bill, that car tires in the gutter should not cause a significant backup of water... Some backup, sure, but the area blocked by the tires is not very significant, and water will flow around before backing up over the curb(usually, under most circumstances)...

Then again, I know MANY people that "assume" that the rolled curb is meant to be driven onto when parking (nothing to do with water flow)... Afterall, why wouldn't the curb be the old-style vertical curb if they (the city) didn't expect/intend car tires to easily roll up it???

#11 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (FatBear @ Dec 30 2008, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then again, I know MANY people that "assume" that the rolled curb is meant to be driven onto when parking (nothing to do with water flow)... Afterall, why wouldn't the curb be the old-style vertical curb if they (the city) didn't expect/intend car tires to easily roll up it???

I'm guessing to improve the asthetics and safety at driveway entrances. But I'd question the developer's installation of the sidewalks if a car tire is causing the water to flow into your yard -- i.e. does the sidewalk and street have proper grading to the curb? A properly poured curb should be able to channel plenty of water around a 7" obstacle. I know if folks who live on the low spot of a street who have flooding issues, but it's not the fault of any cars parked there. Again, it was the fault of the developers for not correctly identifying the locations for the storm drains.

On a similar note, I know you can't leave a trailer or boat parked for more than three days unhitched. So there is a law for cars that are left for three days? Without marking the tires with chalk, how do they know the cars were undriven for three days? Our vehicles stay in the driveway most of the year, but I'd be miff'd if I went out of town on business for the week and came back to find a ticket on my car in front of the house.

If it's a CC&R issue, the FPD shouldn't be enforcing it anyways, that should be left to the HOA to resolve, correct?
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#12 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:10 PM

The city needs revenue. Sticking it to people parked 1 inch over the legal limit. Sad.

Just look around town and see how many "for lease" signs are out there...dozens. The city needs to create income somehow.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#13 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Dec 30 2008, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The city needs revenue. Sticking it to people parked 1 inch over the legal limit. Sad.

Just look around town and see how many "for lease" signs are out there...dozens. The city needs to create income somehow.

How about fining the folsomsingles.com company for littering?
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#14 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (jagayman @ Dec 30 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about fining the folsomsingles.com company for littering?

That would be a good thing. Their signs are everywhere.
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#15 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

I put a call in to the Folsom Police Traffic Sargent. We will see if he replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users