159 replies to this topic

#151 oldschoolskater

oldschoolskater

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:08 AM

Layoffs are inevitable. It is part of the dynamics involved in corporations. Intel's acquisition of a "flash" memory company allowed them to become a "player", in what management thought would be a profitable operation. Well, we now all know the story. Intel has deep pockets and if it were a compassionate company, it will make an effort to find jobs within Intel for those who are affected. In fact, come to think of it, it does have these change control protocols in place. We will pray for those that are hit with a layoff notice. It's depressing but it's definitely not the end!!!!! To me, focusing on when a layoff is going to occur is wasted energy. I'm sure the folks who are affected have contingency plans in place. As far as this post is concerned, it cracks me up how one person's comment (doj_gal), took the issue to another tangent. Some of the comments are sophomoric and just plain stupid.

#152 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:20 AM

The tough part about the Intel layoffs is that when it happens there about 30 other people at the same time in the same position you are in. So if there is a job available you are more than likely going to see a few of your co-workers there interviewing too. Competition can be good though, keeps you on your toes.

#153 resident

resident

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:58 PM

CNN story about Intel layoffs:

http://money.cnn.com...29_FORTUNE5.htm

I have heard that only IT employees have anything to worry about and most Intel Folsom employees don't work in IT. Only 10% of IT is expected to be cut and some of those people can get other jobs at Intel.

#154 EDH Jen

EDH Jen

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(resident @ Oct 16 2007, 08:58 PM) View Post
CNN story about Intel layoffs:

http://money.cnn.com...29_FORTUNE5.htm

I have heard that only IT employees have anything to worry about and most Intel Folsom employees don't work in IT. Only 10% of IT is expected to be cut and some of those people can get other jobs at Intel.

Me again....the one with the boyfriend at Intel. He is not in IT, however, 20% of his group was laid off a couple of weeks ago. Today, apparently, was the day that the folks in IT were laid off, although I don't yet know how many.

Of all the rhetoric Paul Otellini spewed for the news outlets, the most absurd being "progress and our determination over the last year and a half to become more competitive and more productive." How productive are your associates who are waiting to see if they are among the next to go (with no severance nor sabbaticals being honored)? Unless you count updating resumes and looking for jobs elsewhere.

#155 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(EDH Jen @ Oct 19 2007, 03:56 PM) View Post
Me again....the one with the boyfriend at Intel. He is not in IT, however, 20% of his group was laid off a couple of weeks ago. Today, apparently, was the day that the folks in IT were laid off, although I don't yet know how many.

Of all the rhetoric Paul Otellini spewed for the news outlets, the most absurd being "progress and our determination over the last year and a half to become more competitive and more productive." How productive are your associates who are waiting to see if they are among the next to go (with no severance nor sabbaticals being honored)? Unless you count updating resumes and looking for jobs elsewhere.

a friend there got laid off today, in fact his whole team went from 55 people down to 12, thats a big hit.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#156 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Oct 19 2007, 04:11 PM) View Post
a friend there got laid off today, in fact his whole team went from 55 people down to 12, thats a big hit.

FWIW the #'s were about 700 IT layoff worldwide and 200 of that in Folsom. That's about 30% here in town. They'll try and play the old "some employees will find other jobs within the company" which is total hogwash. IT at Intel has traditionally been bloated and they take large hits all the time so it's not really that unexpected to see this.

And Otellini's legacy as CEO will be as the dork who aquired a bunch of companies that returned nothing and launching the most un-successful platform for the Digital Home: The VIIV pc! Never heard of it? You're not alone....

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#157 resident

resident

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Oct 19 2007, 04:11 PM) View Post

Was that IT? If they can really afford to go from 55 to 12, they were severely overstaffed. If they weren't and now they are severely understaffed, some of the people who were left are going to leave whenever they can.

#158 DalOwnerX3

DalOwnerX3

Fuzzy Folsomite

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Oct 19 2007, 04:24 PM) View Post
And Otellini's legacy as CEO will be as the dork who aquired a bunch of companies that returned nothing and launching the most un-successful platform for the Digital Home: The VIIV pc! Never heard of it? You're not alone....

I thought the previous CEO, Craig Barrett, was the one that purchased all those companies during the dot-com boom. He paid billions for Level One and by the time the deal was closed, a lot of the brains in the company left and the product line was 6 months behind the rest of the market because of the uncertainty between the announcement and the deal completion.

Paul is the first CEO without a science degree so he seems to be more cost conscious than the previous ones.

#159 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(DalOwnerX3 @ Oct 19 2007, 08:32 PM) View Post
I thought the previous CEO, Craig Barrett, was the one that purchased all those companies during the dot-com boom. He paid billions for Level One and by the time the deal was closed, a lot of the brains in the company left and the product line was 6 months behind the rest of the market because of the uncertainty between the announcement and the deal completion.

Paul is the first CEO without a science degree so he seems to be more cost conscious than the previous ones.

Cost conscious? How much has he dumped into Digital Home and Digital Office? What's been the return on that?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#160 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(resident @ Oct 12 2007, 06:58 PM) View Post
Maybe they will really get it done this time and not layoff again for several years.

I hope you are right... Intel made $10 Billion (with a B) last quarter. By comparison, Google made something like $4B. I'd like to think the worst is behind us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users