Photo

Squeeze Inn Getting Sued And May Close!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:12 PM

It's totally unreasonable to expect all businesses to be able to comply with the current Laws, requiring access to those with disabilities.

There really needs to be some limits placed into this law, to make it realistic. The Squeeze In is one of the places which should, by law, be given an exception to the law, as it has been there for years before the law was set by the court.

Something has to be changed about the Access law to prevent these stupid law suits, which crowd our courts and puts people out of work.

If I were the owner of the Squeeze In, I'd convert it into a "take out only" and offer NO inside sitting. At least it could stay open and people would still be able to enjoy the food there.

#62 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Jul 10 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's totally unreasonable to expect all businesses to be able to comply with the current Laws, requiring access to those with disabilities.

There really needs to be some limits placed into this law, to make it realistic. The Squeeze In is one of the places which should, by law, be given an exception to the law, as it has been there for years before the law was set by the court.

Something has to be changed about the Access law to prevent these stupid law suits, which crowd our courts and puts people out of work.

If I were the owner of the Squeeze In, I'd convert it into a "take out only" and offer NO inside sitting. At least it could stay open and people would still be able to enjoy the food there.

I agree on all counts. What about turning it into a "private club" or something similar? Patrons could pay an annual "fee" ($1) and be entitled to enter the "club." As I understand it, private clubs and religious organizations/churches are exempt from the ADA. Some creativity might be able to help keep everything in place.

#63 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

Because of the fact that this business owner will lose a whole lot of money if he has to move his business, there should be exceptions to the law which are reasonable and which allow him to stay in business.

A few years back, I remember another case which was being sued for these access issues, and that place was a bar with a dance floor. I couldn't believe a handicapped person would want to go there to drink and dance. But if they did, it would be rare....how many times have you seen a handicapped person in a wheel chair, in a bar?

Further, my husband commented to me the other day, that he seldom sees people in wheelchairs. We had a small conversation about the number of handicapped in wheelchairs that might be living in Folsom. It seems that where ever we go we see so many empty handicapped parking spaces!

Further, the person making the law suit should not get paid a dime! The only person getting any money should be the attorney, who's services and time were used. These people who want only to get money from law suits, are as crooked as bank robbers! Only their victims are the business owners.

#64 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

This is a great idea. You can offer the suggestion on their website!!!
QUOTE (MaxineR @ Jul 10 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#65 FolsomH2O

FolsomH2O

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

boy, don't get me started. As I have recently just opened a new business, ADA rules just about kept me from being able to open my water store. It had nothing to do with my space, but it was the shopping center that was not ADA compliant. There was no pathway from the public right of way (sidewalk to you and me) to the sidewalk around the front of the stores. The landlord stepped up and paid to have the pathway put in.

The problem is there is no governing body to complain to about some of these ridiculous rules. In a year, I have not seen any handicapped person use the pathway. As a business owner and property owner, you are open to a law suit at any time. Your only option is to do the work or close your business.

All these laws do more to damage people feelings about disabled people then help. Whatever happened to common sense?

#66 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

Suit against Squeeze Inn burger joint is dropped

By Bill Lindelof
blindelof@wsacbee.com
Published: Thursday, Aug. 20, 2009 - 10:50 am
Last Modified: Thursday, Aug. 20, 2009 - 11:17 am

A lawsuit filed by a disabled woman against the Squeeze Inn, the tiny Sacramento eatery with big burgers and a bigger following, has been dropped.

A document filed with the U.S. District Court in Sacramento on Monday said the action by Kimberly Block against the restaurant has been dropped in its entirety.

Efforts to reach Block and Squeeze Inn owner Travis Hausauer were unsuccessful.

In many suits brought by the disabled against businesses for allegedly failing to comply with the federal law requiring access for people with disabilities, property owners make a monetary settlement with the plaintiff and promise to fix whatever brought the suit.

However, the lawyer representing the Squeeze Inn, Michael D. Welch, says no payment was made to settle the suit and only modest changes are needed to be made to the restaurant.

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#67 quilt-n-golf gal

quilt-n-golf gal

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

Whoo-Hoo!!!!!

#68 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for posting folsom500. Some good news for a change.

#69 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

But they are still moving to bigger digs and more parking spots.... Somewhere on Power Inn Road.

#70 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (tsukiji @ Aug 20 2009, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But they are still moving to bigger digs and more parking spots.... Somewhere on Power Inn Road.

Yep, read it's around the corner on Power Inn Rd

#71 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (eVader @ Aug 20 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, read it's around the corner on Power Inn Rd

They're already near Power Inn. What's the new cross street?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#72 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Aug 20 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're already near Power Inn. What's the new cross street?

The reason she dropped the lawsuit was because she was going to lose her SSI disability checks because she had income from these frivolous lawsuit. They were also going to take whatever amt she was awarded too so her loser lawyer pulled out too.
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users