11 replies to this topic

#1 B&G

B&G

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:29 AM

Any one else have a problem with bee hives around there home in prairie oaks? We have seen at least 3 under the over hang of our roof. They all have several yellow jackets coming and going from them. Any suggestions on what to do?

#2 7-11

7-11

All Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:29 AM

You're talking about wasps. I spray them with the long-range wasp stuff you can buy at the hardware stores. Then just knock down their nests. You have to be vigilant. They build those pretty fast. Pretty soon they'll find another place to build their nests. I don't see many any more.

#3 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:45 AM

I live in the Iron Point apartments in Prairie Oaks, and this weekend had two of those ugly wasps hovering around my patio. I immediately went out and bought the wasp spray, and after the sun went down, I went out and sprayed the whole thing down. Hopefully that will keep them away for at least a while.....
I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

#4 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:01 PM

I live in Prairie Oaks too. We have had that problem in the past and others in the area have too. There is a government organization that you can call and they will come and take care of them. Off hand I can not think of the organization but will try to find out and get it on this board as soon as possible.

I think they do it for free.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#5 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

After you spray them, its a good idea to knock them down with a long broom handle, so they don't get reinhabited later on. A couple of yellow jacket traps from Home Depot also help a lot. Place the traps under a small tree around your house. I find the disposable traps work better than the reusable ones.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#6 7-11

7-11

All Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:33 PM

For those people with 2-story homes, wasps will build way up there under the eaves, so to knock those down, an extension pole from your (or your neighbors) swimming pool leaf scooper works great.

#7 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:38 PM

I called and talked to Jennifer Benito and she passed the following information.
Call 1-800-429-1022 I think they will do Mosquitos and they will come out and collect yellowjackets, bees, if they can reach them. If they are to high up they may not be able to do it for you. It is a free service.

Cal

--------

Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:31:15 -0700
To: "camay2327

Hi there,
Great to hear from you!

WEB SITE BLURB
For mosquito and vector control assistance please contact Sacramento-Yolo Mosquito and Vector Control District at 800-429-1022 or visit the Web site at www.FightTheBite.net.

Thank you!

Jennifer B. Benito
Public Information Officer
Direct: 916.405.2082 | Cell: 916.416.6337 | Fax: 916.685.5464
E-mail:  jbenito@fightthebite.net
www.fightthebite.net
===========================================================
Fight the Bite by following the 7 D’s
DRAIN any standing water that may produce mosquitoes.                                                                                                                                             
DAWN and DUSK are times to avoid. This is the time when mosquitoes are most active.                                                                                               
DRESS appropriately by wearing long sleeves and pants when outdoors.                                                                                   
DEFEND yourself against mosquitoes by using an effective repellent, such as DEET, Picaridin or Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus.  Make sure you follow label directions!             
DOOR and window screens should be in good condition. This will prevent mosquitoes from entering your home.            
DISTRICT personnel are on hand to help address any mosquito problem you may be experiencing.

------

flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#8 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:56 PM

We almost moved to Prairie Oaks in a house that was perfect in every way..until we walked out and my wife glanced up at the neighbors two story house. Under their eaves, there were about 15 wasps next- HUGE ones.

We went from "have to have this house" to "no way are we moving next to that house." In the current real estate market, the house was still going to sell, but the owner could have sold it quicker and received more money if not for their neighbor.

Just my .02.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#9 B&G

B&G

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for all of the info

#10 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Jul 18 2005, 02:56 PM)
We almost moved to Prairie Oaks in a house that was perfect in every way..until we walked out and my wife glanced up at the neighbors two story house. Under their eaves, there were about 15 wasps next- HUGE ones.

We went from "have to have this house" to "no way are we moving next to that house." In the current real estate market, the house was still going to sell, but the owner could have sold it quicker and received more money if not for their neighbor.

Just my .02.

View Post

where in Prairie Oaks was this?

#11 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE(john @ Jul 18 2005, 03:15 PM)

View Post

All I remember is that it was about a block or so away from the high school. The neighborhood looked great, and the house we liked had a view, if I stood on the bricks in the backyard, of downtown Sac.

It was a sweet set up, but we didn't want to be near all those wasp nests w/ small children. In fact, the dog run was almost directly under the wasp nests. Talk about crule and unusual punishment for our dog.

#12 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(john @ Jul 18 2005, 03:15 PM)

View Post

It was Mette Court. We walked over there yesterday (since I remembered you asked), and I saw all the nests had come down from the eves of the neighbor's home.

We still almost made an offer, but it would have been contingent on the owner speaking with the neighbor and getting him/ her to have the nests removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users