#16 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Suburban Pool Service @ Jan 29 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you all think about the City killing off the grassy center section in the middle of Oak Ave Pkwy in the Lexington Hills development. There are signs along the section saying they want to remove the grass to conserve water and such. Considering the state of the lake and economic reasons I don't see it unreasonable. Just concerned about what the new area will look like and hope it doesn't lower the value of the surrounding community. The grass has been there as long as I have lived in Lexington Hills, since '89. I will greatly miss the excess water running off all over the street that always seems to be on right after I wash my truck.

I saw this today. My only question is how are they going to keep the trees alive? They still need to water all those big, grown trees right? And if they are doing that the grass around them will get water so I can't see how they can kill the grass off and not the trees. They will need more than a drip system to feed those trees. Anybody know?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#17 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Jan 31 2009, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw this today. My only question is how are they going to keep the trees alive? They still need to water all those big, grown trees right? And if they are doing that the grass around them will get water so I can't see how they can kill the grass off and not the trees. They will need more than a drip system to feed those trees. Anybody know?

I have been told once trees get that big, their roots have well developed and have found their own sources of water deep below.

#18 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

Lawns don't have to be brown or yellowed over the winter and hopefully the same can be said this summer. If you lawn looks that way now, you put the lawn duties on hiatus.

The trick is to maintain the lawn over the winter -- occasionally feed it and water it for a few minutes and yes...even mow it every once in a while because it will grow just much much slower than in early summer.

#19 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

Interesting web site, has a wide selection of low/nearly no water plants and grasses.

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/

Good for a reference, then see if you can find or order the stuff you want locally.

#20 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

Is there a plan in place to put the grass back in a flush year, or are they going to pave over everything forever?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#21 Toadster

Toadster

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

looks like it's starting to improve out there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users