#31 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Aug 15 2007, 04:38 PM) View Post
If they really loved the environment-our kids would have their classes under a tree.

The real reason why most districts have cut buses is that they are in impacted neighborhoods where the kids all can walk to school. Also--the city is smart enough to value that by putting sidewalks and frigging speedbumps and lights and signs near school areas.

While kids "can" walk to school, very few actually do.

As for the city being smart enough, I'm on the fence on that one. I don't think that it's that the city doesn't actually care, but nobody cares enough to be proactive on this front. Where are the speedbumps? The lights? (Which actually create a false sense of security more than actually making the area safer.) Signs? What, two signs maybe?

Are there stop signs and marked crosswalks surrounding the schools? Are there clear, safe and easy ways to the schools? Do they plan the placement of schools so that students don't have to cross six lanes of traffic to get to their school? (Russell Ranch and Vista) The answers are No.

#32 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Aug 15 2007, 06:47 PM) View Post
Conversely, if we (parents) really loved this planet we'd walk/bike our kids to school/other activities more to cut back on global warming!

Drive your kids to school, busses are dangerous! Take seperate cars, carpools are unreliable! If you have 2 kids, make 2 trips! Drive quickly through the dropoff lane! In fact, don't even stop, teach your kids to get out while the car's still moving, it saves on brakes!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#33 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Aug 15 2007, 05:47 PM) View Post
That's what I thought, DV....But over-kill is obnoxiuous....Just my .02

I hearya homey. What's ironic is that the topic about responding to topics is actually a topic I didn't want to respond to, and yet here I am responding to it, which I guess just moved me out of the "if you're not part of the problem" column.

I think I just blew my own mind, but maybe you can explain it to me over that pint.

But hey... at least I'm not at work right now.

"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#34 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:31 PM

I truly regret starting this topic. I thought I'd get some actual, thoughtful opinions instead of inane stuff. Oh, well. Am I in Elk Grove, Natomas, or Folsom ???...Oh, never mind.....
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#35 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

My golf game is outstanding, as usual. How's yours ???

#36 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(stevethedad @ Aug 15 2007, 03:15 PM) View Post
Actually, this topic has come up a few times over the years. We're all free to comment on whatever topics we feel the urge to. When we do so, we can reveal our intelligence, creativity, or sense of humor. On the other hand, we can expose our ignorace, niavete, bias and prejudices.

I prefer the former grouping and always seem to comment on things that reveal my intelligence, creativity and sense of humor. Don't argue...don't...stop it...

QUOTE(brown @ Aug 15 2007, 03:17 PM) View Post
So my daughter started 7th grade on Monday. Monday night we found out that the bus pass for the year for the PUBLIC SCHOOL BUS is $240. What gives? When I took the bus to school it was free. Am I that old?

Short answer: yes, you are that old. The two biggest encroachments on a school district's budget are 1) special education and 2) transportation. District is trying to lessen the effect on classrooms, books, teachers, etc.

QUOTE(supermom @ Aug 15 2007, 03:20 PM) View Post
Huh--we have a thread for that already; but anyway--On the FCUSD website it is $228 for 1 kid. Pretty much a fricking rip off--The school board of BS should be ashamed of themselves. Just gouging the damn parents.

Phhtttt! Understand the economics and budget before spouting off.

QUOTE(supermom @ Aug 15 2007, 04:38 PM) View Post
The real reason why most districts have cut buses is that they are in impacted neighborhoods where the kids all can walk to school.

Nope. Need a school district budget lesson anyone?

QUOTE(mylo @ Aug 15 2007, 07:23 PM) View Post
Drive your kids to school, busses are dangerous! Take seperate cars, carpools are unreliable! If you have 2 kids, make 2 trips! Drive quickly through the dropoff lane! In fact, don't even stop, teach your kids to get out while the car's still moving, it saves on brakes!

Saw a guy do this, dropping his kid off on a 6-lane street. He couldn't get back into traffic so he backed up and actually hit his own kid. Kid jumped and was okay, but dad is just plain stupid!
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#37 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

I'm really, really worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#38 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Aug 15 2007, 07:33 PM) View Post
My golf game is outstanding, as usual. How's yours ???

See? There now, that wasn't so hard, now was it?

Of course, I don't know if it's really considered threadjacking if it's a thread *you started* that you end up jacking, but I'm still very proud of you.

My golf game is fine, thank you very much. I'm usually the highest scorer!

(BTW - in response to your post about regreting starting the topic, you should regret nothing. But if you ask people to explain *why* they do things, then you should expect nothing either)

"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#39 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

I think people reply because it's a forum. That's why there's a reply button at the bottom.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#40 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Aug 15 2007, 07:51 PM) View Post
I'm really, really worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.

I think that's a legitimate concern. I had a connection in Heathrow last year and I made the connecting flight but my luggage didn't. It finally caught up to me in Berlin 2 days later. They really need to work on that. But you know the Brits, probably too busy having tea. tongue.gif

#41 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:12 PM

Yes, but what do you think about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.

But, Family Guy is funny.

#42 Ras712

Ras712

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Aug 15 2007, 07:51 PM) View Post

QUOTE(tessieca @ Aug 15 2007, 08:12 PM) View Post
Yes, but what do you think about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.

I'm so worried about my hair falling out and the state of the world today
And I'm so worried about bein' so full of doubt about everything, anyway
"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kind of things you can't see from the center" - Kurt Vonnegut (RIP)

"If you can fit it on a bumper sticker, it's not a reason to go to War" - Henry Rollins

#43 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:19 PM

How is it some members that just joined the forum in January or February already have 1000+ posts??? Do they not have anything better to do that post on EVERY topic EVERYDAY?

#44 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(MikeinFolsom @ Aug 15 2007, 09:19 PM) View Post
How is it some members that just joined the forum in January or February already have 1000+ posts??? Do they not have anything better to do that post on EVERY topic EVERYDAY?

Good point. Maybe the forum should be like public pools, where you have the kiddee pool, and the adult pool. For the people who's responses on threads is "HAAAAA", or "HAA HAA", or "HAAAAAAAAAAA", they can be relegated to the kiddee forum, and those who have actual substance to their posts are allowed in the adult forum. Just my opinion (shared by many), and my daily .02

#45 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:54 AM

Why are SOME PEOPLE paying THAT much attention to when people started, how many posts they have, and what they are posting. Don't THEY have better things to do then RESEARCH other people.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe people who post threads that don't want much response.

Maybe this is NOT a forum, and that is not what this is for???

oh I know!!! There should be a limit on posts. That way there is not too much to read, and not so much traffic, and people won't come on here so much???

Apparently chip-clip thinks so!

Well I am off to WORK, where I do not use the internet for non-work related things.

<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users