30 replies to this topic

#16 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

This provided an opportunity to talk to my kids about this tonight. I told them to be safe, to be smart and we talked about what to do should a stranger approach you, talk to you, try to get to their car etc. But in the end I told them not to be too worried, not to be frightened, not to be paranoid. Told them that the chances of this happening to them are extremely, extremely remote and that they should just be smart. That they should still be kids, not obsess about this or anything.

There's a point where it's all just too much hype, too much fear.

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

arghhh--I got the notice from the sutter school but not the elemetary school.
The younger one will be out of public school soon, but I do wonder why this announcement didn't go out via the district level and not individual schools?

#18 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (supermom @ Jan 14 2009, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
arghhh--I got the notice from the sutter school but not the elemetary school.
The younger one will be out of public school soon, but I do wonder why this announcement didn't go out via the district level and not individual schools?

Yep, me too. We've still received nothing here. I think it's because our Principal and her admin have been out... Still worrisome.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#19 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:36 AM

At what age do you start talking to your kids about it, and at what age can they actually understand?

We have been talking to our 4 year old about not talking to strangers, (and not that she would be alone somewhere) but if somebody came to her I wonder how she would react.

#20 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

4 years old is a great time to start talking to them. This is a great DVD that helps show them who it's OK to talk to, go somewhere with. Most kids are kidnapped by people they know, and it shows them how important it is for them to differentiate "safe side" adults (parents, grandparents) and the "kinda know" adults (neighbors, family friends, etc).

http://www.thesafeside.com/

#21 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

I'm with CW, that this situation gave our family the opportunity to discuss again safety with our kids, but at the same time, try not to freak them out. The "help find lost puppy" could definitely be a magnet for younger kids. My children are getting to the age where they can play outside without me watching them every second, plus they can ride to the neighborhood park. I want them to be able to enjoy their childhood, but at the same time be aware of their surroundings and be safe.

#22 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (john @ Jan 14 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4 years old is a great time to start talking to them. This is a great DVD that helps show them who it's OK to talk to, go somewhere with. Most kids are kidnapped by people they know, and it shows them how important it is for them to differentiate "safe side" adults (parents, grandparents) and the "kinda know" adults (neighbors, family friends, etc).

http://www.thesafeside.com/

Thanks for the link.
I would rather be Backpacking

#23 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

John - thanks for the link. I will have to watch it and then watch it with the kiddo.

#24 maggiesmom

maggiesmom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

We have the safe side video and it is really good!! We actually watched it again last night after hearing about this man in Rancho. It was a good refresher course for my 7 year old just to know what to do IF she is in one of those situations and I pray that that never happens!!

#25 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Well, my kids have lived in the states and overseas.

I started telling my kids about stranger danger and safe adults vs--just anyone=

The moment they started toddling. Literally.

Your kids should know whom is appropriate to approach in a store if they get lost.

They should know waaaaayy before kindergarten about the dangers of puppies being looked for by a neighbor or stranger and being offered ice cream or candies as a reward.

They should definitely know the dangers of approaching an ice cream truck without a safe adult.

I could go on---but I don't wanna sound paranoid.

But I just think you guys aren't giving yourselves credit for what you do teach these kids.

Afterall, how many times do you remind your kiddo---stay on the mats at Tricks--and if you need to go to the bathroom---let the teacher and Mom know?

know what I'm saying?

Teaching kids to let parents have control of their accountability is not about "harnessing" your kid.

It's about being safe.

#26 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

Another article:
http://www.sacbee.co...ves/018559.html
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#27 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Luckily the two kids (both 11-year-old boys) were smart enough to say "no" to helping find the dog and got out of there!

Kids need to be trained. A few years back my daughter and a friend were approached by a pervert on Turnpike. It can happen anytime, anywhere.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#28 Jolene

Jolene

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Found out that my daughter's principal is out for a few weeks due to surgery and one of the admins moved to a different school. I know that the other admin was out sick, but don't know if she's back int he office or not. So, it seems we didn't get notification because there's no one there to notify.

We supposedly have an interim principal, but that didn't seem to do anything.
Much love and gratitude.

#29 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Jolene @ Jan 14 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Found out that my daughter's principal is out for a few weeks due to surgery and one of the admins moved to a different school. I know that the other admin was out sick, but don't know if she's back int he office or not. So, it seems we didn't get notification because there's no one there to notify.

We supposedly have an interim principal, but that didn't seem to do anything.

that's bad that you didn't get any call, especially with your child's age, I thought that would have been the most important age group who's parents should have been called first.

I got a call today from FHS about it, but my daughter's 15, she woulda told the guy to take a hike

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#30 Jolene

Jolene

• Premium Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

Good news! We finally got our call!
Much love and gratitude.