5 replies to this topic

#1 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

I was sent this in an email from a friend.

www.fairtaxnation.com

WHY THE US WAS DOWNGRADED ...

This is the best explanation I have seen of the trouble the US is in....

• U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
• Fed budget: $3,820,000,000,000
• New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
• National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
• Recent budget cut: $ 38,500,000,000

Let's remove 8 zeros and pretend it's a household budget:

• Annual family income: $21,700
• Money the family spent: $38,200
• New debt on the credit card: $16,500
• Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
• Total budget cuts: $385

Do you understand now?

KILL THE BEAST

the parasite has exceeded the hosts ability

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#2 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

That's really good....! And I like the $385 in cuts part. Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#3 andy

andy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

If I was that family, I'd try to get back the income I gave up 10 years ago. And I would have done it a long time ago. And I wouldnt' have given myself that paycut in the first place. My budget was actually balanced when I did that. Dang!

Also, I wouldn't sit around yelling at each other and pointing fingers...I'd hope my family would work together to solve the problem...spend less, make more, work our way out over time but never forget we're a family and that we love each other and we're in this together.

I'm just sayin'

#4 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

If I was that family, I'd try to get back the income I gave up 10 years ago. And I would have done it a long time ago. And I wouldnt' have given myself that paycut in the first place. My budget was actually balanced when I did that. Dang!

Also, I wouldn't sit around yelling at each other and pointing fingers...I'd hope my family would work together to solve the problem...spend less, make more, work our way out over time but never forget we're a family and that we love each other and we're in this together.

I'm just sayin'

Did that total income increase after giving some back or decrease?

How about spending...did spending increase at a faster rate than income growing? How about debt, did debt increase as well?

#5 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

I'm just sayin'

Well being that the economy is tanking, not everyone can wave a magic wand and make a job materialize that gets them back to the income they lost over the last several years. It's easy to say it, it's another to do it when you're unemployed and there's 10,000 people vying for the same job.

My budget got balanced by doing the smart things: stop over spending, make cuts on unnecessary items, live less vicariously, reign in the wild spending on frivolous items and projects, eventually I got my debt lower then my income. That's what smart people do when they live with the realty of actual income vs some pixie dust statements saying, "just go earn more money", yeah it's just that simple... yeah we really need more taxes.. sigh...

Lower spending, cut insane unnecessary programs, stop wasting tax dollars on unnecessary things. There is more fat to cut then you could ever realize. We need cuts and more cuts and then even more cuts!

When I made cuts to live within my mean, my budget was actually balanced - dang!

I'm just sayin' too..

#6 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:55 PM

Don't forget that our budget stupidity was only half the reason! S&P also (rightly, IMO) surmised that "the politics involved are so caustic that lawmakers are unable to make the tough choices needed to correct the problem." S&P had gone out of its way to point to the political brinkmanship over the debt ceiling as a key reason for the downgrade. Our politically divisive climate is hurting our country.

I wish I felt that our lawmakers, and the people who elect them, actually want collaboration. I wish we wanted what is best for our country. Instead, everyone wants the other party to be vilified and theirs to be right. Rarely does this actually produce the best outcome.

We not only have to fix our budget; we have to fix our country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users