• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Due to some things, I couldn't ride much for the last few years. I can now, but I'm diminished. My pace on the bike is a solid 30% slower than what it used to be, and that's not likely to change.

I think this has freed me up. I had concentrated on speed and heart rate, now I'm concentrating on scenery and destination. I was never going to challenge any triathletes, but I liked timing myself and improving. On the bike path, I had thought of oncoming traffic as obstacles and thought of people going my way as benchmarks. On the road bike going for my best lap time around the lake, I did really well I think. I was rarely passed except by people on road bikes who were clearly on the assault. I was going about 16 mph at my best. On the MTB I took pride that I was never passed by anyone with knobbies. Now I'm letting the faster riders blow me away, not competing with anyone, and I share a nod with my fellow travelers.

It's not all positive. Short rides are fine, but medium-short rides seem to take forever. The ride home is 6 miles and uphill, and with the change of clothes takes about an hour. Long rides are out of the question. I've never done a century but I once thought I could have done one in a reasonable amount of time. Now I have to think it would take me more time than there is daylight.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Awesome! As a walker who likes to walk with an elderly parent on the trail, its always nice to have bike riders like you around the trail! Thanks for slowing down! Now as you start riding again and your strength picks up, please remember the new insight and help share it with fellow two-wheelers! They can race up on the street, if they need to go that fast.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Props to Darth, you're a good man

Life is too short to be in a rush all the time, the smarter man takes it slow and enjoys the scenery

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Darthy Lefty, sorry you have had to slow down. I know there are things I see while out walking around that I would miss in a car.

Think of it this way. At least you are still getting out there. That's more than what most people do. No matter how slow you are, you're way faster than someone sitting at home on the couch. :2thumbsup:

#5 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Not looking for sympathy... though it's appreciated. Just changing my outlook.

I'll have my Dad's Schwinn Paramount (a high-end touring bike from the 1970's) back on the road here pretty soon. It needed to be taken apart and cleaned, and the tires, cables, and leather parts replaced. I'm looking forward to building it back up. I'm glad I could save it from becoming a fixie or a tuna can.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#6 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

Darth, don't give up too soon. I'm a lot older than you and I did a Double Century at the age of 60. My first double was at 52 and the California Triple Crown at 55. I wasn't fast but had no trouble finishing(and before dark). It's all mental.

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Darthy Lefty, sorry you have had to slow down. I know there are things I see while out walking around that I would miss in a car.

Think of it this way. At least you are still getting out there. That's more than what most people do. No matter how slow you are, you're way faster than someone sitting at home on the couch. :2thumbsup:

+1
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users