Photo
- - - - -

Leaky Windows In K&b Homes In Willow Springs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FolsomDad x 2

FolsomDad x 2

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Hello - I am considering buying a home in Willow Springs that was built by Kaufman and Broad. The home inspector noted that there may be problems with the windows leaking water - likely related to the way the window casings were installed and flashed.

I wanted to ask if any of you living in K&B houses have experienced this and if the builder was willing to fix the issue for you. What was involved in getting KB to take care of it?

Thanks!
FolsomDad x 2

#2 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

both my neighbor and I had this issue. For us, it was resolved the first time, our neighbors had to have it worked on several times (and I'm not even sure it was fixed once and for all). We say it about 4 years in... it had to do with a rip in the paper.

My advice is that if you have to have it worked on, make sure they re-stucco the entire side of the house, or else it looks like a patch job. Good luck!

#3 FolsomDad x 2

FolsomDad x 2

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

Thanks John! Can you tell me what the area around the windows looked like when you discovered this?

We had a contractor in today to write up an estimate based on what the inspector found. His opinion was that the swollen window sills were caused by condensation from the windows pooling on the sills and seeping through the practically non-existent caulk to be soaked up by the MDF sills. He thought that if there was bad flashing that we'd see damaged drywall on the sides of the windows. Condensation and caulk is a much easier problem to address with simple maintenance.. I want to make sure that the problem isn't being oversimplified...

Thanks,
FolsomDad x 2

#4 ckc

ckc

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(FolsomDad x 2 @ Sep 9 2007, 03:34 PM) View Post
Hello - I am considering buying a home in Willow Springs that was built by Kaufman and Broad. The home inspector noted that there may be problems with the windows leaking water - likely related to the way the window casings were installed and flashed.

I wanted to ask if any of you living in K&B houses have experienced this and if the builder was willing to fix the issue for you. What was involved in getting KB to take care of it?

Thanks!
FolsomDad x 2

#5 ckc

ckc

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:44 AM

We bought our KB home in Willow Springs new in 2001 and have not had any problems with window leaks. We did have a leak which showed in the ceilling under the master bath a couple of years ago. Thought for sure that some piping was leaking. Called KB and they sent a contractor which found the leak to be in the roof around the fireplace vent. They did a great job in repairing the leak and the ceilling drywall. All under warrenty. All in all, our KB home has be good.

#6 MeTooAcademy

MeTooAcademy

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (ckc @ Sep 30 2007, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We bought our KB home in Willow Springs new in 2001 and have not had any problems with window leaks. We did have a leak which showed in the ceilling under the master bath a couple of years ago. Thought for sure that some piping was leaking. Called KB and they sent a contractor which found the leak to be in the roof around the fireplace vent. They did a great job in repairing the leak and the ceilling drywall. All under warrenty. All in all, our KB home has be good.

I am currently renting a KB home in willow springs. The home has the same issue on a few windows. I have heard rumors that the KB warranty will replace these windows HOWEVER, have also heard that warranty is about to expire. (i have contacted prop. management but havent heard back)
It is a great neighborhood, we are sad to be leaving in a few weeks.
GOOD LUCK

#7 MeTooAcademy

MeTooAcademy

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (MeTooAcademy @ Apr 4 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am currently renting a KB home in willow springs. The home has the same issue on a few windows. I have heard rumors that the KB warranty will replace these windows HOWEVER, have also heard that warranty is about to expire. (i have contacted prop. management but havent heard back)
It is a great neighborhood, we are sad to be leaving in a few weeks.
GOOD LUCK

ooops just realized the original post was a little dated~sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users