29 replies to this topic

#16 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

I'm hearing it may be a big snake year, as we had no real long hard freezes this winter.

I see snakes every year. Usually just red racers and king snakes, but a few rattlers too, big and small. I'm not a big fan of them, but as long as I don't bother them, they probably won't bother me. (which is why I make my husband rake up the leaf pile in the corners of the yard each year... I only rake up the non piles in the middle of the yard)

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

snakes have been out and in some neighborhoods for at least three weeks now.

just watch out where you step and put your hands, especially at dusk. and don't worry about it.

Tongue (not forked) in cheek!

Sorry, couldn't help it. BTW, most rattler snakes will hunt underground in early summer until the vole, shrew and mouse population gets small enough that they need to come up. The most dangerous period of time for a snakey to appear is about 2-6 pm in dog days of summer. They are most likely to move towards watering holes, and they will travel when it is warm. There is less bird movement and they can set up shop before the bunnies and mice wake up and come out to snack.

Everytime I have seen a rattler on the trail it was between 2 and 6 pm.

Also, people who have hedges near their porches should be especially cautious in the summer months. Rattlers will climb into them and hang on the branches when they are overly hot. Porches with nice dark corners should be kept tidy.

#18 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

I've been seeing rattlesnakes regularly this year since late February. I have seen tons of them everywhere, not just Folsom. I haven't seen any of them in our neighborhood or other neighborhoods. Mostly at the river/bike trails and lakes. My guess is this is going to be a crazy snake year all over the state.

#19 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

I've been seeing rattlesnakes regularly this year since late February. I have seen tons of them everywhere, not just Folsom. I haven't seen any of them in our neighborhood or other neighborhoods. Mostly at the river/bike trails and lakes. My guess is this is going to be a crazy snake year all over the state.

thid might be considered an omen of some sort. didn't ireland have a snake problem before St Patrick came in.

#20 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

Pretty much have pulled a snake, mostly rattlesnakes, every shift. A king snake here and there, but a lot of baby rattlers. Empire Oaks playground. Off Golf Links. Randall. Blue Ravine. The little ones are everywhere. Bigger ones were off of Creekside. Be careful out there.

#21 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

In the voice of MC Hammer:

Shovel time.

Posted Image

#22 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

Pretty much have pulled a snake, mostly rattlesnakes, every shift. A king snake here and there, but a lot of baby rattlers. Empire Oaks playground. Off Golf Links. Randall. Blue Ravine. The little ones are everywhere. Bigger ones were off of Creekside. Be careful out there.

be good to the king snakes and the gophers, etc.
but death to rattlers. sorry. there are just too many of them to even support their own population.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#23 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

If they're non-venomous, we leave it up to the home owner if they want us to remove it.

#24 gbimal

gbimal

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Do snake fences really work in keeping those rattlers at bay if you put them all around your yard? Please share your experiences.

I guess they could come in thro the fromt door or garage :D:

#25 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Do snake fences really work in keeping those rattlers at bay if you put them all around your yard? Please share your experiences.

I guess they could come in thro the fromt door or garage :D:

I guess people trust snake fences. they will definately come into a garage or any door that's open or has enough squeeze room under the door. I put a weather strip along the bottom of my garage to keep them out.

Don't let it keep you from moving to Folsom. Just learn to be aware.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#26 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

I don't have personal experience with snake fences. If I backed up to an open area I would probably consider one, but I wouldn't totally rely on it. A dog was recently bitten by a rattler in Granite Bay in a yard with a snake fence. Best bet is to have a cat.

I sure wouldn't let fear of snakes keep me from living here. You'd be giving up too many other great things.

#27 Organic Ken

Organic Ken

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Usually, you wont see any rattlers unless you go looking for them. They are rather shy and when they hear you coming, they will hide. Hers one I sneaked up on. Boy was he pissed when I took this pic with my cell phone
Posted Image

And here he is in my truck. 4.5 feet long and 12 button rattles

Posted Image
Posted Image

Organic compost tea applications for a healthier, greener lawn.

Ken Hazelet (Organic Ken)
916-350-4108
info@OrganicKen.com

#28 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

He probably got mad when he saw you whip out that butcher knife!

#29 Organic Ken

Organic Ken

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

He probably got mad when he saw you whip out that butcher knife!

lol! no he was long dead by the time I got home and got the cleaver out! I normally wouldn't kill a snake, but this big boy was going into my customers yard and scaring their little dog and the whole family. A friend of mine said the meat would make good tacos, so I brought it home, dispatched the rattles (with the cleaver), and skinned it and cleaned the meat. I got to tell you, the meat stunk like a wet rat. I through it away, the smell was so bad. I guess that's what happens when your diet is voles and gophers! lol
Posted Image

Organic compost tea applications for a healthier, greener lawn.

Ken Hazelet (Organic Ken)
916-350-4108
info@OrganicKen.com

#30 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I don't have personal experience with snake fences. If I backed up to an open area I would probably consider one, but I wouldn't totally rely on it. A dog was recently bitten by a rattler in Granite Bay in a yard with a snake fence. Best bet is to have a cat.

I sure wouldn't let fear of snakes keep me from living here. You'd be giving up too many other great things.

I would take a mongoose over a cat anyday for something to protect against snakes.
"And the Wind cries Mary"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users