"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#33 Nylaan

Nylaan

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

I can come, but I do not know the way of the sushi....
It's Saturday night. I have no date, a 2 liter bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mix tape. Let's rock.

#34 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(Nylaan @ Nov 7 2007, 12:05 PM) View Post
I can come, but I do not know the way of the sushi....

come on down we'll show you the way

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#35 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

Outstanding first night out with the sushi show down

we had Mylo and his mrs Boo, Jesse, Nylan, Me, Mylo's bro and cw68 and kids

we went to Taiko and tried numerous types of sushi and rolls....and sake, then a few of us went over to aloha sushi

lots of sushi, lots of saki and a tv show called manswers (wow)

bottomline - from my point of view, aloha was better (and trust me, that was hard to admit)

thanks to all that made it - it was a ton of fun and we'll be doing it again next week

#36 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Nov 7 2007, 10:31 PM) View Post
Outstanding first night out with the sushi show down

we had Mylo and his mrs Boo, Jesse, Nylan, Me, Mylo's bro and cw68 and kids

we went to Taiko and tried numerous types of sushi and rolls....and sake, then a few of us went over to aloha sushi

lots of sushi, lots of saki and a tv show called manswers (wow)

bottomline - from my point of view, aloha was better (and trust me, that was hard to admit)

thanks to all that made it - it was a ton of fun and we'll be doing it again next week

Tues/Thurs are my better days for next week. But I don't want to inconvience anyone else.

#37 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:43 AM

I told Jesse that he needs to actually LOG in now and post, but he claimed something about Work and Busy and blah blah blah. So I post in his stead. He said he had a good time (but claimed that I would have had fun, as it was "my crowd" - wth does that mean? I don't hang out with a bunch of sushi heads!), but admitted that the Sushi "was not very good".

He was telling me about his Sushi experiences and says that there was some place in New York he went on one of his last business trips that had the best he ever tried. Then there was a little hole in the wall up in Oregon that he ranked second, and he said that this was below those two. He wanted to go to Aloha with y'all, but something, again, about work-blah-blah-blah. He is definitely interested in next week, though! What's the date and time?
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#38 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:18 AM

I did my own little sushi roll-off earlier this week, as I couldn't make it last night. I tried Taiko for the first time, and hands down, Aloha is still my favorite. (Sorry Davburr)

#39 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Nov 7 2007, 10:31 PM) View Post

What??? wacko.gif Did Mylo brainwash you?? Last week you were essentially saying Taiko was the Pebble Beach of Sushi. Who spiked your Sake?? OK, so Aloha is the best in Folsom?? Is that the deal?? cheers.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#40 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(sat @ Nov 8 2007, 06:18 AM) View Post
I did my own little sushi roll-off earlier this week, as I couldn't make it last night. I tried Taiko for the first time, and hands down, Aloha is still my favorite. (Sorry Davburr)

its ok, I have to admit (dang it) Mylo was right..... Aloha does have better quality fish

#41 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Nov 8 2007, 07:25 AM) View Post
What??? wacko.gif Did Mylo brainwash you?? Last week you were essentially saying Taiko was the Pebble Beach of Sushi. Who spiked your Sake?? OK, so Aloha is the best in Folsom?? Is that the deal?? cheers.gif

laugh.gif it musta been the sake

seriously tho - we set some benchmark standard orders to use to compare - some stuff I had not tried at Taiko before and later when we had a couple of similar dishes at Aloha - there was a notable difference in the quality of fish.

Plus it was really nice that the owner Tommy was there - that kinda makes it a neat experience - he's a very cool guy.

So being the man I am, I admit it, I was wrong.. and mylo was right - Aloha is the better place....

but we still need to go back and try a few more rolls - you know ... just to make sure biggrin.gif

Come on down next week dude, its fun and you'll learn a lot about sushi.

#42 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:13 AM

I think Thursday would be better for me, too.

#43 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(twnkltoz @ Nov 8 2007, 08:13 AM) View Post
I think Thursday would be better for me, too.

hey swmr and twinkltoz - thursday should be ok - it'll work for me too

also - Mylo will probably have a good report along with photos later

#44 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:47 AM

So, we went into Taiko and ordered up the following:

Nigiri:
Maguro - Dried out, obviously pre-cut, and smelled kinda fishy
Hamachi - Very fishy smell, we didn't even finish it
Hirame - Turns out they didn't have any, so we settled on Tai, which was alright but a little fishy

Rolls:
TNT - Okay, not very spicy
Popeye - The spinach is a total afterthought, and had the same fishy smell as the rest
Taiko Folsom - This one was the best, IMO, but still fishy
What was the 4th? Zumafa or something? - I didn't try this one, as I'm not a fan of Unagi, but others said it was "kinda funky"

The service was good, they dealt with us moving from the sushi-bar to a table, and the waiter was attentive and very friendly.

The price was slightly better than Aloha, with rolls averaging 50c less. My bro had a dinner plate, which was about a buck cheaper than Aloha

The restaurant is nicely decorated, too.

All in all, I give it a 6.5 stars. The freshness of the fish is the real killer for me.

Then a few of us popped over for an unofficial Aloha taste. Had some more Maguro nigiri there and the quality difference was obvious. The fish was a little less flavorful than usual, but was certainly fresh and still quite tasty.

Wednesdays are $1 sake night over at Aloha, so we each ordered up some of the cheap stuff. Not nearly as good as the Ginjo or Nigori options, which are priced about the same at Taiko, but you just can't beat a buck!

We also ordered up my favorite roll, an Ichiban, which was promptly finished off before I got to taste it, so I assume it was good smile.gif

The TV entertainment capped off the night.. Man, I have got to TiVo that show!

Next Wednesday works best for me (already got the babysitter lined up), but if we need to reschedule to get more attendees I'll try and do so.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#45 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Nov 8 2007, 08:47 AM) View Post
So, we went into Taiko and ordered up the following:

Nigiri:
Maguro - Dried out, obviously pre-cut, and smelled kinda fishy
Hamachi - Very fishy smell, we didn't even finish it
Hirame - Turns out they didn't have any, so we settled on Tai, which was alright but a little fishy

Rolls:
TNT - Okay, not very spicy
Popeye - The spinach is a total afterthought, and had the same fishy smell as the rest
Taiko Folsom - This one was the best, IMO, but still fishy
What was the 4th? Zumafa or something? - I didn't try this one, as I'm not a fan of Unagi, but others said it was "kinda funky"

The service was good, they dealt with us moving from the sushi-bar to a table, and the waiter was attentive and very friendly.

The price was slightly better than Aloha, with rolls averaging 50c less. My bro had a dinner plate, which was about a buck cheaper than Aloha

The restaurant is nicely decorated, too.

All in all, I give it a 6.5 stars. The freshness of the fish is the real killer for me.

Then a few of us popped over for an unofficial Aloha taste. Had some more Maguro nigiri there and the quality difference was obvious. The fish was a little less flavorful than usual, but was certainly fresh and still quite tasty.

Wednesdays are $1 sake night over at Aloha, so we each ordered up some of the cheap stuff. Not nearly as good as the Ginjo or Nigori options, which are priced about the same at Taiko, but you just can't beat a buck!

We also ordered up my favorite roll, an Ichiban, which was promptly finished off before I got to taste it, so I assume it was good smile.gif

The TV entertainment capped off the night.. Man, I have got to TiVo that show!

Next Wednesday works best for me (already got the babysitter lined up), but if we need to reschedule to get more attendees I'll try and do so.

'

yeah what he said.... 'cept the baby sitter part

hey mylo - can you get those pix from your bro?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users