ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Folsom Guy @ Jul 14 2008, 01:03 PM) View Post
Well, while I still don't see why we need to name a bridge after Cash, but, have got nothing against it either.... no adverse fallouts whatsoever...

My kids and their friends who are into hip-hop 'alternative' music (I call it rap-crap), seem to draw a complete blank when I mention Cash...

Whereas, when I see Leidesdorf (pardon my spelling) - I can relate to it - 'coz he did a lot...he's mentioned in the Rail Museum...but 10 years from now, try explaining the name to someone - a guy who loved prisoners and sang a song about Folsom Prison....and thus made Folsom famous...kinda lame isn't it

It is indeed lame that young people are woefully uneducated about Johnny Cash and Folsom. I blame lightrail, lead in the artificial turf, and the schools. But Leidsdorf already has a road named after him. I guess we could name the bridge Leidsdorf and the road Johnny Cash though.
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#17 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

It's not like Johnny Cash was born here...
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#18 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:23 PM

fyi...here are some of the movies that have been filmed at folsom prison

Jericho Mile
Live from Folsom Prison
American Me
Walk the Line
Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison
Diggs Town
Another 48 Hours
Riot in Cell Block 11

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#19 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

Let's make this a 2 part transaction

first, lets kill the current ill-conceived and utterly rediculous name which in neither descriptive, nor accurate, nor creditworthy.

Second, we can come up with a new name that better reflects the wishes of the community. If that be Johnny Cash Bridge or Myloverpass, great! But if we argue about what we should change it to now, we'll never get the first step done.

Posted Image

#20 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

^ I totally agree there.

I don't think I would be so passionate about this if the current name wasn't utterly rediculous!

#21 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:39 PM

Just name it "JohnnyCashWouldLoveTalkingAboutSushiAndBridgeNamesOnMyFolsomDotCom" Bridge and just be done with it already... cheers.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#22 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Jul 14 2008, 01:39 PM) View Post
Just name it "JohnnyCashWouldLoveTalkingAboutSushiAndBridgeNamesOnMyFolsomDotCom" Bridge and just be done with it already... cheers.gif

So when is the dedication ceromony? Once the "winner" of the name the bridge contest cuts the ribbon it's too late to change the stupid name right?
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#23 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 14 2008, 01:23 PM) View Post
fyi...here are some of the movies that have been filmed at folsom prison
Jericho Mile
Live from Folsom Prison
American Me
Walk the Line
Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison
Diggs Town
Another 48 Hours
Riot in Cell Block 11

Those are all okay I guess, but none compare to "Captain America II: Death Too Soon"

This clip has often been called the "'Citizen Kane' of superheroes driving their motorcycles around Folsom Prison movies":

And this clip was described by Pauline Kael as "What Eisenstein's 'Battleship Potemkin' would have looked like if it was about Captain America driving a cool turbo motorcyle over Folsom Dam instead of all that boring old Russian stuff": http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Enjoy!
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#24 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Jul 14 2008, 01:42 PM) View Post
So when is the dedication ceromony? Once the "winner" of the name the bridge contest cuts the ribbon it's too late to change the stupid name right?

I hear what you're saying, but the Council seems to be a stubborn, bull-headed bunch.

I don't think there's a chance of them admitting they blew it and changing the name. It would be a mini-Public Relations disaster for them and their egos.

Cut the ribbon already...
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#25 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE(john @ Jul 14 2008, 01:33 PM) View Post
^ I totally agree there.

I don't think I would be so passionate about this if the current name wasn't utterly rediculous!

I'm in this camp, also. I'd stay quiet if the chosen name were one that got more nominations or votes or however they tallied the popularity. According to one news article, Folsom Lake Crossing was only submitted by one person.

99.999 percent of the time if you mention Folsom and get a blank look all you have to do is say Folsom Prison Blues or Johnny Cash and the recognition immediately registers on people's faces. I'd say that's better than making up some festival to be known by like Loomis and the Eggplant Festival.

Maybe we could revive the snail races and name the bridge the Escargot Expressway. tongue.gif Makes about as much sense as a lake crossing that doesn't cross a lake.

#26 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

I hear what you're saying, but the Council seems to be a stubborn, bull-headed bunch.

I don't think there's a chance of them admitting they blew it and changing the name. It would be a mini-Public Relations disaster for them and their egos.

Cut the ribbon already...

Not necessarily. The Aquatic Center was vetoed by council and they reconsidered...

like I say, these are the 4 members who voted for the bridge name. If you'd like them to revisit, two members will have to be persuaded. I think Andy Morin and Eric King are your best bets.

andy@themorins.com
themayor@folsom.ca.us

Starsky and Miklos were pretty vehemently opposed to the other names. Here's their addresses too.

stevem@bentleymortgage.net
jstarsky@folsom.ca.us

discussing here is great and all, but if you want action, you gotta email city council.

#27 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(Revolutionist @ Jul 14 2008, 01:28 PM) View Post
Myloverpass, great!

NOW you're talking! biggrin.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#28 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Revolutionist @ Jul 14 2008, 01:28 PM) View Post
Myloverpass

Your lover pass?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#29 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jul 14 2008, 02:13 PM) View Post
Your lover pass?

hey, its better than Lover's Leap!!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#30 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:42 PM

I agree the current name is idiotic, but I'm with the "who cares, just cut the ribbon" group. Frankly, I'd prefer that they sell the rights to some company for a few million a year (or whatever naming rights are going for these days). The bridge is functional regardless of its name. Might as well pad the Folsom coffers!

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users