42 replies to this topic

#31 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

Let's assume this is in CCR and should be enforced.

What puzzles me is that this seems to be selective or targeted enforcement. Someone had to call.

The reason I point this out is there are 2 Homes with DIRT STOCK CARS on Wesley. They park all over and also their trucks and boats. For more than time allowed. ----- No enforcement there ?
Also, walk down E. Natoma and count all the TV antenna's.-- No enforcement there ?

Vierra Moore is the issue since they are the ones who do this reactive , inconsistent enforcement which confuses the residents who pay them.

#32 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

Because one of your neighbors is the one that reported you and that is why you got it.
Every house in ER would need to get this violation, because they have at least one car parked on the street or the driveway. One of our cars can't fit in the garage (the garage is not long enough).
I get your point. Trust me. The HOA is insane. They gave us a letter saying we needed to cut our grass down. Mind you it was raining all week, our neighbor and us cut our grass together all the time at the same time. They didn't get the letter. Oh, and by the time we got the letter we already cut the grass (were just waiting for soil to dry up a bit). At the same time, the weeds in the back of our house (that HOA takes care of) were 4 feet tall. We told them we will give them $50 for every day we don't cut our grass, and they had to give us $50 for every day they don't cut the weeds in the back. That promplty made them shut up.

I think we need to figure out how to get rid of them to be honest with you.

+1

We were on vacation for 1 week and got one of those "your grass is too long" violations. Same as you... before we even got the letter... I cut the grass when we returned home.

And as you stated... the HOA does a VERY poor job at maintaining public areas. Also... they have done little for a foreclosed house just down the street from us that is a complete eyesore!

I understand wanting to keep the community looking good... but they are very hypocritical of their practices. That's all I ask for... consistency.

#33 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

If you do decide to build a storage for your "garage stuff," make sure to check with the city. I believe the limit is 120 square feet without a permit (assuming no electrical/plumbing/etc). I'm sure there are height limits as well...

My dad once lived in a house located on several acres in the hills. He rebuilt his garage (which was falling down) with a new garage with a loft. His neighbor complained. Now mind you, this was heavily wooded property that was very private. His neighbor's complaint was that he could see (gasp) the peak of the new garage roof. The city came out and measured...2 inches higher than what they allowed...bottom line, the top of the new garage was removed and rebuilt..minus the loft (ceiling height requirements and all that...)
Nothing says good neighbor like an asshat with his nose in your business...

Just as an aside, I have a friend that lives in Idaho. He went to the city to ask about permits for some work he was planning and they basically looked at him like he was stupid. They told him to just do the work. Sigh...can't even replace a dishwasher in Davis without "the state" being involved...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#34 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

Also, walk down E. Natoma and count all the TV antenna's.-- No enforcement there ?

Some of the CCR's are not enforceable - such as this one...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
"The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming."

#35 erfamof4

erfamof4

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

Big beef here with the HOA. We've received a whole slough of violation letters over the years, including this one and the "long grass" (because we, too, were on vacation and there were 3 dandelions that grew while we were gone).......we've found that if you just go through the "process", they won't enforce it/fine you. So, for this violation, we did as someone else mentioned.....rearranged the entire garage and put some things in the back yard out of site just long enough to take a picture with 2 cars in the garage. In our case, we had to "borrow" a relative's (smaller) car because there is no way our truck would have made it. We've lived in ER for 8 years and have never parked in the garage. It stinks, but we've found that no matter the violation, if we are able to take a picture to show we "corrected" the issue, we won't get fined.

And yes, they SUCK at maintaining the open areas.....one time we even caught them trimming the vines growing over our fence (we back to a street).....I was furious!

#36 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

I'm sorry you got "written up" for your garage. My beef is the truck and motorhome that are parked on the side of the street and haven't moved in five days straight. Not even a notice from the PD either. At least where they're parked now it isn't a danger when turning left because you can't see the traffic coming from that direction without driving into the middle of the street!

Big beef here with the HOA. We've received a whole slough of violation letters over the years, including this one and the "long grass" (because we, too, were on vacation and there were 3 dandelions that grew while we were gone).......we've found that if you just go through the "process", they won't enforce it/fine you. So, for this violation, we did as someone else mentioned.....rearranged the entire garage and put some things in the back yard out of site just long enough to take a picture with 2 cars in the garage. In our case, we had to "borrow" a relative's (smaller) car because there is no way our truck would have made it. We've lived in ER for 8 years and have never parked in the garage. It stinks, but we've found that no matter the violation, if we are able to take a picture to show we "corrected" the issue, we won't get fined.

And yes, they SUCK at maintaining the open areas.....one time we even caught them trimming the vines growing over our fence (we back to a street).....I was furious!

#37 hvmcgowan

hvmcgowan

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

We got nabbed for this--have a two car garage and two cars. CC&Rs clearly state that you must be able to park both cars in the garage. Neighbors report violations or they (HOA) occasionally does a drive by inspection. They will follow up with you, so...clear out the garage and take a date stamped picture showing both cars are parked in the garage.

#38 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

We got nabbed for this--have a two car garage and two cars. CC&Rs clearly state that you must be able to park both cars in the garage. Neighbors report violations or they (HOA) occasionally does a drive by inspection. They will follow up with you, so...clear out the garage and take a date stamped picture showing both cars are parked in the garage.

better than a date stamped picture, do like they handle in kidnap movies where they have to prove the old victim is alive..have the picture taken with someone holding the days sacramento bee and that will prove it.

you have to have some compasion for the folks who enforce the ccr's...with all the nuts out there (the congress lady shooting) you could have one living in a ccr community and the violation letter would set the nut off.

#39 hvmcgowan

hvmcgowan

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

better than a date stamped picture, do like they handle in kidnap movies where they have to prove the old victim is alive..have the picture taken with someone holding the days sacramento bee and that will prove it.

you have to have some compasion for the folks who enforce the ccr's...with all the nuts out there (the congress lady shooting) you could have one living in a ccr community and the violation letter would set the nut off.

I've worked for a councilmember in a city where CC&Rs were not in effect in neighborhoods--let me tell you, I spent way to much time dealing with situations that would be better off resolved within an HOA than by a city councilmember. CC&Rs at the very least set the bar for what is acceptable and what is not, and the neighborhoods will stay a lot nicer as a result. If someone doesn't like it, then they can live in a neighborhood without them. We live in a society, albeit a microcosm of it, in a neighborhood, and without common agreements, then there would be the odd RV parked in a backyard next to the tall shed, with the rusty boat parked in a driveway, and everyone would grumble and be grumpy about that instead of the CC&Rs.

#40 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

This is the only town I've ever lived in that has these "rules" that govern your own homes.

Seems incredibly lame that people need to pay some stupid organization of blow hards to tell others how to live.

Back in my day if we saw a problem that needed to be addressed we had the balls to talk face to face to our neighbors instead of cowering behind some stupid organization consisting of wanna be "rent-a-cops" and playing whiny complaining games about the contents of an owners garage.

#41 dp513

dp513

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

If you're like a lot of people in ER, you can't move without losing money or barely breaking even. Downsizing your cars is probably not an option either (we're a family of five, too, so I'm sympathetic). Have a friendly neighbor with a clean garage? Photoshop. Just sayin...

#42 jimfolsomca

jimfolsomca

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

It always amazes me that people move to a nice area like ER... because it's nice and they want to be associated with that kind of living... and then they proceed to live like they moved to Rio Linda... and get all insulted when someone bitches. I'm convinced most people on my street really wanted a condo... cuz they know absolutely nothing about a lawn mower, weeds, plants, keeping their driveway clean, or even being neighborly. Apparently there was a shortage of condos when they bought a house... or the house they bought cost less than a condo... OR, they're just plain clueless !!! Everyone in my subdivision has a 3 car garage, and most can't even get ONE car in it. They have a garage full of junk that can't have a total value of 5 bucks... and then they leave their $30K cars outdoors so the sun can blister the paint off of them. I have to blame Eliot for some of this though. They locked up the garages in their models so you couldn't see how small they were... and then after you got sucked into buying a house, you realize your full size truck or Excursion won't fit in most of the garages.

#43 FolsomCouple

FolsomCouple

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

I for one, moved to Empire Ranch because of the HOA. If you've ever lived in a neighborhood that was allowed to do whatever they want, you end up with lower property values and unsightly neighborhoods. If you have so much stuff that you can't get your vehicles in the garage, then you need to rent storage space somewhere. Empire Ranch storage is nearby. I would bet that when you fill a storage space, you'll probably discover that you never go there and the stuff in it wasn't that important after all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users