• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mary H

Mary H

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

UPDATE: It wasn't Gypsy after all: just a nice kitty who likes to hang around in front of my house. Thanks to everyone who commented and shared. I'm sorry this didn't turn out to be a more interesting story.

On Wednesday afternoon I saw an old grey cat sitting on the window ledge in front of our house. She looked very much like our cat that disappeared in October 1999. Her name was Gypsy and she would be about 13 years old now. I'm pretty sure it was her because she was tugging at an opening in the window screen that my kids cut-out for her when she still lived here.

Back when she disappeared we posted flyers all over Lexington Hills offering a reward. We also sent post cards to the addresses in the immediate neighborhood. A few people called and said they had seen her, but we never got her back.

She is a grey and black tabby with a bushy tail. I'm hoping that someone who reads this found our cat 9 years ago and has been caring for her ever since. I would love to know that is the case.

Edited by Mary H, 03 March 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Mary H @ Feb 27 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On Wednesday afternoon I saw an old grey cat sitting on the window ledge in front of our house. She looked very much like our cat that disappeared in October 1999. Her name was Gypsy and she would be about 13 years old now. I'm pretty sure it was her because she was tugging at an opening in the window screen that my kids cut-out for her when she still lived here.

Back when she disappeared we posted flyers all over Lexington Hills offering a reward. We also sent post cards to the addresses in the immediate neighborhood. A few people called and said they had seen her, but we never got her back.

She is a grey and black tabby with a bushy tail. I'm hoping that someone who reads this found our cat 9 years ago and has been caring for her ever since. I would love to know that is the case.

I'm confused, if you saw her, what were you doing? Were you in the house, why didn't you go out and call her name. if you were in your car, why didn't you stop to go grab her?

I'm completely baffled by why you think you saw your cat at your home and apparently did nothing to try and get it. Please elaborate on your story.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 Mary H

Mary H

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 27 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm confused, if you saw her, what were you doing? Were you in the house, why didn't you go out and call her name. if you were in your car, why didn't you stop to go grab her?

I'm completely baffled by why you think you saw your cat at your home and apparently did nothing to try and get it. Please elaborate on your story.

Hi, Sorry for the confusion. I went outside and called to the cat, but she ran when she saw my dog. I didn't chase after her because I wasn't positive at first that she was mine. However, after thinking about it and looking at some old photographs I realized the distinctive markings on her face were the same. I know it sounds preposterous, but I really think it was Gypsy.

#4 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

Maybe put some food out, keep the dog in the back and see if she comes around again? That would be cool if it's your cat!! Good luck!! smile.gif
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#5 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Not as preposterous as you would think. When I was a kid, we had a similar thing happen. Granted, it was only one year later, not 10, but ... my brother's dog got loose/ran away/was taken/whatever on the night before Thanksgiving, when we were at my grandmother's house. We came home and he was gone.

A year to the day later, he came back. I was woken up by my mom and dad's voices and came out of my room to see what was going on. They were standing at the open door, trying to get the dog to come in the house. I remember saying: "Mom? Is that Tosh???" and then my brother came out of his room, called the dog and that was all it took. The dog was in like a shot and all over my brother.

We had him for many years. Sadly, he died while my brother was away in the military. He didn't get to say goodbye.

I hope you are reunited with Gypsy! Good luck!!
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#6 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Jolene @ Feb 27 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not as preposterous as you would think. When I was a kid, we had a similar thing happen. Granted, it was only one year later, not 10, but ... my brother's dog got loose/ran away/was taken/whatever on the night before Thanksgiving, when we were at my grandmother's house. We came home and he was gone.

A year to the day later, he came back. I was woken up by my mom and dad's voices and came out of my room to see what was going on. They were standing at the open door, trying to get the dog to come in the house. I remember saying: "Mom? Is that Tosh???" and then my brother came out of his room, called the dog and that was all it took. The dog was in like a shot and all over my brother.

We had him for many years. Sadly, he died while my brother was away in the military. He didn't get to say goodbye.

I hope you are reunited with Gypsy! Good luck!!

That story gave me chills.

Pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing it.

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Mary H @ Feb 27 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, Sorry for the confusion. I went outside and called to the cat, but she ran when she saw my dog. I didn't chase after her because I wasn't positive at first that she was mine. However, after thinking about it and looking at some old photographs I realized the distinctive markings on her face were the same. I know it sounds preposterous, but I really think it was Gypsy.

I'm sorry but I can't help but think that going out with your dog to call for a cat isn't exactly the brightest thing to do if expecting good results. maybe the above suggestion of a food offering will help get her to come back to your house.
I would rather be Backpacking

#8 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Feb 27 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry but I can't help but think that going out with your dog to call for a cat isn't exactly the brightest thing to do if expecting good results. maybe the above suggestion of a food offering will help get her to come back to your house.

Dude...is the snarkiness really necessary? Here's a woman who has obviously never posted before, saw the forum as a resource to help her find a solution to the problem. Do you really have to give her such a hard time? Come on...

#9 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Seriously. Relax, Bill!

Good luck catching the kitty Mary. Hope it's yours smile.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#10 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Tell her how you really think Bill. I guess not everyone makes the perfect Bill Z decisions all the time. How is it living in a perfect world. Glad she probably feels welcome on the forum.

#11 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (Mary H @ Feb 27 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Gypsy!!!!!!!

good for you, Mary. I agree if you put the food out, she'll be back. Keep the dog at bay for a while and be on the look out! how sweet. she really wants home. and I bet maybe one of your neighbors was keeping her, thinking she was a stray.

smile.gif

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#12 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

Weirdest one I've ever heard was a friend whose cat disappeared. A year later someone called him from about 10 miles away saying he had been feeding the cat for some time but had never been able to get close enough to it to pick it up and read the tags.

When my friend went to pick up the cat, he and the guy who found it were standing around amazed at how the cat had made it ten miles away. Then the guys landscaper pulled up. Same guy that did my friends lawn and shrubs. Cat must have hopped into his trailer at one end, taken a ride and hopped out at the other end.

#13 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hey...sometimes a cat's just gotta be free....spread it's paws.....and see the world a bit. Even if it is only for 10 miles or so.

#14 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

mary,

Have you thought about putting up flyers again??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users