1 reply to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:16 PM

We seem to have had our share of unusual or lesser known medical experiences, and I thought it would be helpful if we all shared ours to learn from each other.

Did you know... that untreated strep infections can turn into Scarlet Fever and that untreated Scarlet Fever can turn into Rheumatic Fever? Learned that one when my daughter was 5 or so. She had a rash that I thought was Chicken Pox. But it turned out to be Scarlet Fever caused by untreated strep. We didn't even know she had a strep infection, and clearly didn't have a sore throat. Moral of the story: have rashes examined by medical personnel even if you think you know what they are.

Did you know that pain from appendicitis isn't always in the lower abodmen? In my daughter's case, the pain was higher -- under the rib cage. We kept getting sent home from ER cause the symptoms didn't fit the norm. Luckily we were persistent, kept doing homework online, discovered that in some circumstances the pain could be in other areas, urged further testing, which revealed (to the doctor's surprise) that she was having an appendicitis attack. Moral of the story: do your homework -- but on medical websites -- and be proactive.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:22 PM

Okay, forgot another one. On three separate occasions, my son injured a finger playing baseball. All three times he took the ball on the tip of his curled finger while catching the ball.

The first time, the doctor (at urgent care) asked if he could make a fist. He could, but it hurt like heck. Doctor said if he could make a fist it wasn't broken. However, I didn't like the way the finger looked and urged him to x-ray it. It was broken -- jam fracture.

The subsequent two times, the doctors (always happens after office hours, so we were always at urgent care) asked if he could make a fist. Each time he could. Each time the doctor said, "Well, then it's not broken." Each time I shared anecdotes of previous times, and each time the finger was broken.

Two morals:

Teach your ball players to protect their ungloved hands better (youda thunk he'd have learned).

Be assertive in urging tests when you think they're warranted. Bones begin to heal/calcify within a week or so, and if they heal in the wrong position you could end up with problems later on. Better to be safe than sorry.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users