#46 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Apr 8 2007, 07:37 AM) View Post
Not everyone, only the most boring, snobbish folks. It's these type of parents (only concerned about scores) that have ruined the childhood experience. "Everyone" in this case in just a bunch of a-holes. angry.gif

I agree to a point....However, THESE people are your neighbors and if you think your neighbors are concerned with test scores talk to your kids teacher and principal...There is so much pressure and effort towards teaching to the test that it underminds the teacher's ability to teach in a unique/individualistic way or utilize their own education to help a child engage in the learning process.....OUR schools in Folsom are like the McDonald's of education....You can get it one way and that means a heavy emphasis on test scores specifically, language and math skills....Forget science and social studies and art, with the exception of a unit here and there in the elementary grades....Some teachers will put the extra effort into making sure their students have some science projects, but most just teach the basics and do a disservice because they are so pressured to keep up with the schools books chosen for them....Yes, there are after-school clubs that teach art art, chess and choir during the school year....My daughter is in those clubs, but it costs money and is totally optional....
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#47 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Apr 9 2007, 05:28 PM) View Post
The school shoul d have been built the same size as Folsom High to accomodate an equal number of students....

The projections for growth north of the highway do not show students outpacing the size of the two schools. Now that the district has passed a bond, growth south of 50 will only have a temporary impact on the two existing high schools.

Since Folsom is continuing to grow at such a fast pace and the city leaders decided to have another mixed-use library, why didn't they make the school larger? Why have such amenities for such a small upper-income area?
Every high school is built with a library, so that facility was already planned. Lucky for all of us taxpayers, the city saw it as an opportunity to have an eastside branch of the city library, so they partnered with the district to increase the size to allow access to all the public. I don't know why anyone would complain about that. I'm really happy when our governmental organizations don't end up spending twice as much to build the same facilities in different locations.

Folsom High has been impacted for years and the students suffered with crammed quarters, lack of proper security and large class sizes

I disagree. The size of the infrastructure does not accommodate the number of students there, but the things you are talking about are staff-related. FHS has excellent security, and the class sizes are maxed out per teachers' contracts. They have a limit on class size AND a limit on number of students they teach in any given day. The staffing ratios will be the same for both schools.

.....Why wasn't there proper planning for the new school? Have you seen all of the new homes being built out there?

Again, the projections don't support your contention that the new school will max out with the anticipated east side growth. In fact, for several years people fought ANY new high school because they didn't believe Folsom would have enough high school students to warrant more than one. Thank goodness that thought changed!

"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#48 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

HMMM I'm not too sure what you all mean by block versus traditional High schools. Maybe someone could explain? And what is PAWS?

#49 Barb J

Barb J

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:20 AM

I'm just hoping that the cheerleaders at VDL don't have to cheer:

"Go VD, Go VD, Yea................VD!!!!!

Just a thought.........

#50 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(asbestoshills @ Apr 9 2007, 05:21 PM) View Post
No, that's not the case.....Unless they changed it, students attending Blanche Sprentz will attend Folsom Middle and then attend FHS....Maybe after the parents complained they have since changed their minds...There were more than a few parents mad at the prospect of their students attending a different high school than their counterparts.

i stand corrected, high school students in the blanche area will attend FMS and then FHS, but since we have an interdistrict policy, I think you could get the ok to go to Vista.

Not all students attending FMS are choosing to go to Vista. It is not absolute right now.
Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

#51 lisasellshouses

lisasellshouses

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE(Barb J @ Apr 10 2007, 09:20 AM) View Post
I'm just hoping that the cheerleaders at VDL don't have to cheer:

"Go VD, Go VD, Yea................VD!!!!!

Just a thought.........

Yikes,
Lisa Gerber
VP of Cheer
Folsom Jr Bulldogs
www.folsomjrbulldogs.com

#52 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

Careful now. Don't forget the Lago! It's better than when Folsom gets a university . . . (FU).
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#53 HiC

HiC

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:I am a Christian who loves basketball, golf and baseball (go Giants).

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:29 PM

The VD thing has already come up quite frequently (wouldn't condors have been a good mascot?) and they are going with VL since the "d" would be lower case, as in "of".

I have a daughter graduating from FMS and she has decided to go to VL. She had the choice and we allowed her to go where she wanted. My wife wanted FHS but I wanted VL due to the opportunity for her to get in on the ground floor at a school much closer to home.

As for the sports issue, I have another junior daughter who plays basketball at FHS. FHS plays Division I in the Delta River league, which consists of St. Francis/Jesuit and all Elk Grove schools. VL will play with Oak Ridge, Ponderosa, El Dorado, Cordova, etc. in Division 2. Both are tough leagues and I'm sure VL will get their lunch handed to them early.

Both daughters are happy with where they go/are going for different reasons.

There is indeed a community clean up day scheduled. Much help is needed. Here's the info (copy and pasted from an e-mail):
The FOLSOM CAMPUS CARE TEAM is planning another workday on Saturday, April 21st from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The workday will be held simultaneously at Folsom High School, Sutter Middle School and Folsom Middle School. This event is being coordinated with the Principal's Office at each school, the Folsom Cordova School District Superintendent's Office and the City of Folsom. Campus team leaders are:
* Sutter Middle School - Tina Quattrone - SutterPTAPresident@hotmail.com
* Folsom Middle School - Greg Houck - greg@adlandventure.com
* Folsom High School - John Moore - john.j.moore@comcast.net

School administrators will be working with the Campus Care Team to provide incentives for student & parent involvement at each school. City leaders as well as members of the business community including members of the Chamber of Commerce and all three Folsom locations of Raley's & Bel Air grocery stores have committed support. Neighborhood church groups and civic organizations are also onboard. We are inviting everyone from the community to participate. Members of youth groups, student groups and athletic teams at each campus are also expected to participate. Friends and family are welcome too!

Volunteers should report to the school of their choice anytime during the day on 4/21. Bring gloves, pruning shears, hedge trimmers, weed eaters, branch loppers, flat shovels, round shovels, wheelbarrows, rakes and other gardening tools.

AdLand Ventures is providing heavy equipment i.e. tractor, street sweeper truck and staff to operate (thank you Greg Houck) and thanks to BFI, we will have extra dumpsters at each campus.

Donations of landscaping materials e.g. bark, flowers, tree stakes, etc. are welcome.

For more information, contact your school's team leader or email John Moore at john.j.moore@comcast.net.

#54 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

Darn! They scheduled the three at the same time last fall too, and I was hoping it wouldn't be that way this spring. Also, that's Trails Day, so they'll lose some volunteers who will be heading out to the trails. In fact, I think they're meeting at Willow Springs right next to FHS this year.

For those who need it, Sutter gave students PE credit for working (but the students still need a parent who'll stay and "supervise" them).

#55 iJason

iJason

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(HiC @ Apr 10 2007, 01:29 PM) View Post
As for the sports issue, I have another junior daughter who plays basketball at FHS. FHS plays Division I in the Delta River league, which consists of St. Francis/Jesuit and all Elk Grove schools. VL will play with Oak Ridge, Ponderosa, El Dorado, Cordova, etc. in Division 2. Both are tough leagues and I'm sure VL will get their lunch handed to them early.

Ha, VL will definitely get it handed to them...plus, they only have JV and Frosh teams so it will be harder to schedule non-league games. Leagues aren't divided into divisions, or else Folsom wouldn't be playing Jesuit and St. Francis (they're D-II). Divisions only effect section playoffs.

Anybody know if the main gym at VL will be as large as FHS? I know there will be 2 because VL learned it was necessary seeing what happens at FHS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users