45 replies to this topic

#1 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

A very intersting article in sabee today abuot El Dorado County.

http://www.sacbee.co...ry/2506262.html

#2 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

The guy in the article says "I've always been a believer in hard work, and at this point I'm a whole lot less particular about what I want to do,"... No he isn't, he is losing his home and has failed his family. Another loser looking for sympathy and handouts.

#3 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

5% of the COUNTY? Holy crap!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#4 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 2 2010, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The guy in the article says "I've always been a believer in hard work, and at this point I'm a whole lot less particular about what I want to do,"... No he isn't, he is losing his home and has failed his family. Another loser looking for sympathy and handouts.

I'm curious, why are you so quick to label him a loser? I didn't get that from reading the article.

#5 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (curiousity @ Feb 2 2010, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious, why are you so quick to label him a loser? I didn't get that from reading the article.

Because he is full of it, and contradicts himself. He says he's a lot less particular about what he does, yet he's still losing his house. If I were in that position, I'd be working 3 fast food jobs before I let some bank take my house from me. Thats just me though. I just hate when people say they don't care what type of job it is but then turn around and wait for the perfect job.

#6 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 2 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because he is full of it, and contradicts himself. He says he's a lot less particular about what he does, yet he's still losing his house. If I were in that position, I'd be working 3 fast food jobs before I let some bank take my house from me. Thats just me though. I just hate when people say they don't care what type of job it is but then turn around and wait for the perfect job.

and you know he has turned down job offers?

Just because he says he would take a job, let's say as a Walmart greeter, doesn't mean Walmart will hire him as one. Many employer's won't hire someone over qualified for the job because as soon as the person gets a better offer, something more like what their career was, they will leave in a heartbeat.

#7 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

some folks make decisions based on their unemployment check. For example, if the montly unemployment check from EDD is close to or sometimes even better than being a walmart greeter AND the fact that IF you stay at home will reduce costs such as childcare, it is very much a calculated/deliberate manuver not to seek out just any employment.

just my 2 cents. Please don't turn this into another political mudslinging match.

#8 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (curiousity @ Feb 2 2010, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and you know he has turned down job offers?

Just because he says he would take a job, let's say as a Walmart greeter, doesn't mean Walmart will hire him as one. Many employer's won't hire someone over qualified for the job because as soon as the person gets a better offer, something more like what their career was, they will leave in a heartbeat.

Well, then I would say he isn't smart either... Maybe he should dumb down his resume, to get these other jobs... Come on.

#9 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 2 2010, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, then I would say he isn't smart either... Maybe he should dumb down his resume, to get these other jobs... Come on.

Well, I can see you are thoroughly convinced this person is a loser, so I give up, based on the article, I still give him the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to provide for his family, and I expect, he will one day land a job, but as you feel he is failing his family, he's a loser, I hope for your sake, you never find yourself in his situation, jobless in times when finding a new job is more difficult than it has everbeen during your lifetime.

#10 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (curiousity @ Feb 2 2010, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I can see you are thoroughly convinced this person is a loser, so I give up, based on the article, I still give him the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to provide for his family, and I expect, he will one day land a job, but as you feel he is failing his family, he's a loser, I hope for your sake, you never find yourself in his situation, jobless in times when finding a new job is more difficult than it has everbeen during your lifetime.

Yeah, sorry... been dealing with it in my family for almost 2 years now. If you are really willing to save whats yours it can be done.

#11 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

You can only "dumb down" your resume so far. If you've been a senior manager for a company and now need to look for lower level part-time jobs, it's a challenge. You can't lie about your previous experience -- although you can tone it down. But a prospective employer knows that you're making a huge sacrifice to take this part-time job and that as soon as something better comes along you're out of here.

Also, age discrimination IS impacting the ability of many established professionals to find new jobs. I often eliminate older employment from resumes in order to avoid reflecting on the age of clients. That may help them get interviews (which is a plus), but many employers don't want to pay what older applicants are worth; regardless of how much a candidate insists he/she will be happy in that job/at that pay rate, employers often suspect that as soon as higher paying jobs come along those employees will leave.

It's not as easy as you'd think, Chris. And it's a real slap in the face to people who are trying desperately to find employment and save their homes to accuse them of not being willing enough to save what's theirs.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#12 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

I have to add that a lot of people who are unemployed are not seeking professional help with their job hunt. They are worried about expenses, so they wing it on their own. Unfortunately for many, they waste a lot of time in the market because they don't present as well -- on paper and in person. They mean well -- so I can't fault them; but they don't realize how a professional job search can increase their marketability, even in a tight market.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#13 prouddad

prouddad

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Feb 2 2010, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to be in his situation before you start judging people! He failed his family?!? Dude, are you FOR REAL? Do you have 4 children(1 special need)? Did you lose your Job that you had been with for years? Are you about to lose your home? Until then....

#14 baltimore?

baltimore?

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (prouddad @ Feb 2 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to be in his situation before you start judging people! He failed his family?!? Dude, are you FOR REAL? Do you have 4 children(1 special need)? Did you lose your Job that you had been with for years? Are you about to lose your home? Until then....

Seriously! Chris, you seem like a pretty cool guy, probably the kind of guy that most other people would love to hang out with. Sometimes, though, you make some pretty hardcore judgemental comments. You know nothing about this guys situation. Not to mention, your point of working three fast food jobs...even if you worked three FULL TIME jobs at a generous (for the industry) hourly rate of $10? Before taxes, that is a take home of $1200 a week, $62,400 a year. I don't know many households that could survive off that now days. Not to mention, one would have to work 17.15 hours per day, seven days a week to work three full time jobs. While technically possible, it is not very probable.
I am going to keep changing this every time someone points out a flaw or misspelled werd....

#15 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

Awesome... All, I'm saying is the guy isn't even trying... Did his wife try? Who knows. I'll admit, I am a real hard a$$ about stuff like this, but I only speak from experience. I didn't just show up in this town, I busted my a$$ to get here. I had every odd against me, every single one. I made the best of it. I worked 14+ hour days 7 days a week to take care of my young family, all when I was 19 years old. I went days without eating at times, but my family had everything it needed to survive, which at the time wasn't much. It might seem like I'm picking on this guy, but I'm more using him as an example. I don't care that he worked at his job for 16 years, that statement in it's own is stupid and irrelevant to the whole article. It does one of two things. It's either searching for pity or searching for entitlement. I pick entitlement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users