Photo
- - - - -

Stange White Powder On Hopfield Dr- Alert !

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:56 AM

We were walking our dogs this morning and noticed on the park side of Hopfield Dr-in NS all the way from the park all around back to the other entry at TurnPike someone have sprinkled about 1/4 -1/2 cup of a white power at almost every house that has a dog and a couple without.

Our dogs first noticed it so I pulled them away quickly and then started noticing is on the sidewalk at other houses with dogs -- When we got back to our house, we had it in two spots between our house and the next door neighbor ( we both have dogs ) and then a few feet further in front of our house.

What was odd was that at our house and on other there were dead or dying snails at the edges of the powder.

It was a powder and not a crystal so it was not salt or Sugar....

I was wondering if it might be Snail bait or Diatamatous ( sp) Earth which is also used to kill insects and snails, both of which can be deadly to dogs or cats....

Would like to know if anyone else has seen anything like this..

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#2 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

Same thing around the ponds north of Waterford apartments today. The dog wanted to lick it, I pulled her off it.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#3 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:16 AM

I just called Folsom HAZMat and they are going to come out to check it soon.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ May 14 2008, 10:16 AM) View Post
I just called Folsom HAZMat and they are going to come out to check it soon.

I was just about to recommend that you call the police. This could be a harmful substance. Please let us know what they say.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 Leslie_R

Leslie_R

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

Utterly ridiculous situation occurring in Folsom's Natoma Station. A mysterious white powder is on several locations and properties. It looks to have been placed at about every other house and all houses with dogs.

Guess who shows up at 11:55a.m. ? Folsom Landscape and Lighting. They brought the big truck to check the lamp lights for the white substance. Most of the white powder is on the sidewalks and rocks and flower beds. It is in the local park. It appears to be randomly but purposely thrown onto people's properties.

I listened while the Lighting guys called HazMat....there is total confusion about who is to be called.....HazMat, Police, Fire Depatment....and so Public works Landscaping and Lighting shows up.

Hazmat is supposed to show up soon, and the Lighting guys are hanging around waiting.

The white powder could be almost anything! It does seem to be attractive to dogs.

#6 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

I have heard of people putting powdered chlorine on peoples lawns to kill the grass.
Wonder if that's what it is? (pretty spitefull thing to do)

I noticed the other day that there was a truck spraying all the brush and trees along Folsom auburn rd. Maybe its' a pesticide.

Have you condidered calling that vector control office that sprays for mosquitoes and stuff?

#7 Leslie_R

Leslie_R

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

HazMat is checking it out now. The white powder is also down by the elementary school on Turnpike and Natoma Station Drive. It has been seen on Fantages also.

HazMat has no idea what it is. They are speculating that someone might be marking houses which I don't believe. It is too wide spread for that.

Hazmat says they see a lot of pesticides, but this does not look like any pesticide that they have seen before.

#8 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

I had called Hazmat and an hour later they called back to tel lto call the police- which I did...The nimrod lady could would not listen and =before I finished told me that there would be the fire dept going out ot check it out- but she was quite snippy -- I had mentioned that the first place we saw the powder was in front of a street light AND WENT ON TO SAY - it was at many other houses that had dogs and a few that did not and was also found on another street ( darth lefty posted)

What incompetent fools - they send out the lighting department

-Margaret Mead-

#9 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ May 14 2008, 12:20 PM) View Post
I have heard of people putting powdered chlorine on peoples lawns to kill the grass.
Wonder if that's what it is? (pretty spitefull thing to do)
I noticed the other day that there was a truck spraying all the brush and trees along Folsom auburn rd. Maybe its' a pesticide.
Have you condidered calling that vector control office that sprays for mosquitoes and stuff?

No I do not think it is chlorine-Snails and dogs would be repelled not attracted to Chlorine and none of it was put on anyones lawn... just a 1/4- 1/2 cup of powder at the edge ( away from the street) on the side walk..

Will find out soon I guess.. I hope

-Margaret Mead-

#10 Leslie_R

Leslie_R

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

Finally Folsom Fire Dept. is going to come out and investigate

HazMat is going to try and take down all the addresses with the white substance....good luck with that!

#11 Leslie_R

Leslie_R

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

Finally (12:45 p.m) the Fire Department and the Police Dept. have arrived. The Fire Dept. is going to treat this as a Hazardous Material incident and they want everyone to stay away from the white powder.

How to make this known to all of Natoma Station is a huge challenge.

#12 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

Does anyoen have a close up pic of this mysterious substance?

#13 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

I just notified the school.....they had no knowledge of it...
I can just see some kid messing with it?!?!?!

#14 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

My kid rides his bike alone to school now... Hope he did not touch it!!
<3

#15 Leslie_R

Leslie_R

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

Mystery solved?

The Fire Dept. just told me that this has to do with a game called "Hounds and Hares." Supposedly the substance is powdered chalk. In the night or early morning the "hares" go around an area and leave this powdered chalk. Then tonight the "Hounds" come out and follow the trail left by the "hares."

I guess this is the case as the fire man told me with a straight face that this is what is going on. I find it odd to say the least.

Anyway the hazmat people, the police, and the fire dept. have all gone. But the white substance is still around.

Odd to me because some of it is thrown into flower beds and on rocks where one is unlikely to see it. Other times it is on the sidewalk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users