32 replies to this topic

#1 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

A home regularly entertains until very late (1-2 am is not unusual). Last nite went til 4:30. Several homes share backyard fences w/ this individual and the noise as well as smoke from an outdoor fire /tiki torches are EXCESSIVE. Police are aware and have been contacted several times yet the "good ole boy partying" by increasingly inebriated guests continues. With nice weather coming along (its here) I'm no longer willing to keep my windows closed because of this maroons offenses. Suggestions? are there others of you willing to participate in a collective response to this "neighbor"? we're fairly new to NS and other than tiki-boy, we love it here.

#2 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

keep calling the police. They will eventually cite the homeowner for stuff.
Have you talked to the homeowners?

#3 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

"Maroons"? tongue.gif

#4 irish1

irish1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

Olivia... As a neighbor to this person, has any attempt been made by you - and/ or other neighbors - to contact these people and explain the impact their late night socializing has on your family, giving them notice of what you are experiencing, so they know first hand - in a neighborly way? Often times, personal knowledge that they are disturbing the neighbors is enough for the hosts to tone it down, or take it inside, after a certain hour.

When the police are called to make contact in these instances, the cops try to appeal to the violators 'common decency,' and request that the host find a way to quiet it down, so as not to impact surrounding neighbors. This does not always work, however. Sometimes, it makes the situation worse, because the hosts feel singled out and 'accused..' and can become very indignant.... and louder, out of spite.

Cops, when at work can not claim their 'peace is, or has, been disturbed.' However, if the (neighbors) peace is being disturbed, and the (neighbor) is willing to sign a complaint to that fact, the cops have teeth (so to speak), and can then act on the situation to bring it to an end. BUT, should that be the course of action, the signing complaintant will then have to testify in court as to the events - should the matter reach prosecution. And most folks shy from that prospect. I hope it works out for all of you... in a good way!

#5 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

are they young? What about those high pitched noisy thing that older people can't hear. Put a bunch on your fence, if they can hear it, it will drive them back inside.
I would rather be Backpacking

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

or capture a wild skunk and release it into their backyard. That should add some life to the party laugh.gif

#7 Revolutionist

Revolutionist

Liposuction for the brain

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

are they owners or renters?

we had this issue with a group of young guys renting a house on our street.
A number of us complained enough to the property management company, that they would not renew the lease.

You might try that route.

Posted Image

#8 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

Been there, done that at two different residences. You have my sympathies.

No one expects perfection and knows that these events happen periodically but some neighbors just push it. The one thing I notice, though, is it doesn't matter if you live in a multi-million dollar community or the trailer park, inconsiderate neighbors can happen anywhere.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#9 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

This is actually a great idea!!!! (if they're on the young side!)

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 18 2009, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are they young? What about those high pitched noisy thing that older people can't hear. Put a bunch on your fence, if they can hear it, it will drive them back inside.

#10 futile

futile

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Apr 18 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
or capture a wild skunk and release it into their backyard. That should add some life to the party laugh.gif

+1
-The 'Toph

#11 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

Sorry! You're welcome to come over, if you like.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#12 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Apr 19 2009, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry! You're welcome to come over, if you like.

Unless you've moved, you don't live in NS.

that must be one heck of a party if someone south of the river can hear a party north of the river

#13 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (irish1 @ Apr 18 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Olivia... As a neighbor to this person, has any attempt been made by you - and/ or other neighbors - to contact these people and explain the impact their late night socializing has on your family, giving them notice of what you are experiencing, so they know first hand - in a neighborly way? Often times, personal knowledge that they are disturbing the neighbors is enough for the hosts to tone it down, or take it inside, after a certain hour.

When the police are called to make contact in these instances, the cops try to appeal to the violators 'common decency,' and request that the host find a way to quiet it down, so as not to impact surrounding neighbors. This does not always work, however. Sometimes, it makes the situation worse, because the hosts feel singled out and 'accused..' and can become very indignant.... and louder, out of spite.

Cops, when at work can not claim their 'peace is, or has, been disturbed.' However, if the (neighbors) peace is being disturbed, and the (neighbor) is willing to sign a complaint to that fact, the cops have teeth (so to speak), and can then act on the situation to bring it to an end. BUT, should that be the course of action, the signing complaintant will then have to testify in court as to the events - should the matter reach prosecution. And most folks shy from that prospect. I hope it works out for all of you... in a good way!

Yes. and their "neighborly response" was to yell back," Mind my "f....." business." I think they know "first hand" about their disturbances. Mind you, they may have been so drunk that their awareness of their actions was distorted.....ya think?

#14 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (olivia @ Apr 19 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes. and their "neighborly response" was to yell back," Mind my "f....." business." I think they know "first hand" about their disturbances. Mind you, they may have been so drunk that their awareness of their actions was distorted.....ya think?

Have you asked if you could join them?

#15 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE (olivia @ Apr 19 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lovely neighbors there. Time for some payback. After their party is over, the next morning when they're hungover and semi passed out... now's your time to be loud and annoying - mow your lawn, edge it, have some young kids over and give them sodas and sugar so they're as loud as possible, blast your stereo twords their windows...

You know what they say about payback. No need to be the victim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users