Rats

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(TheCourtJester @ Sep 14 2005, 11:44 PM)

Boomer (our dog) also likes to...er..."play" with teh mice in the middle of the night. You can hear a little jingly noise from the collar and there he is grabbing them up in his mouth and throwing them in the air. It's about the funniest thing I've ever seen a dog do tongue.gif. We brush his teeth regularly too, so we don't have to worry abut him getting mouse (or anything else) breath. smile.gif

View Post

All of our placed mice/rat poisons are placed inside the garage on the work bench or in the tool shed on shelves that the dogs cant get to and we DO check them daily to see where they ( or whatever portions are left) have migrated to from the mice eating them. WE have also got some of the STicky traps ( no poison ) to try.
We have NEVER put them n the yard so finding one up in our upper shade patio was quite concerning. WE Will talk with our next door neighbor on this.

With regards to Boomer-- Our little Cairn/Yorkie/monster mix not only likes to Play but he has this habit of finding something disgustingly foul ( snail , dead mouse, etc) and Loves to roll on his back over it - over and over--- smells like the devil or a bad whorehouse in texas ( just kidding) when he comes in -- Bath time for Rusty when that happens...

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#17 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(brown @ Sep 13 2005, 01:13 PM)
Where was that?  We had a cat disappear...haven't seen her in a month now  sad.gif  Now I wonder if she got into the poison...

View Post

This happened in Modesto.

I hope your cat comes back. It's hard to not know. Once we had one disappear and we checked the animal control log book and found out a cat had been squashed by a car like a block from our house that day. We figured it must have been her sad.gif
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#18 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(TheCourtJester @ Sep 14 2005, 11:44 PM)

We have this orange cat that likes ot hang around our house...so she takes care of all the mice and voles that creep about. All we find is the occasional spleen (or whatever it was) in the garage when she's "finished."

View Post

Weird, Our cat leaves the exact same part(s) and everything else is gone, including the tail. Sometimes we'll find the skull but not always. Whatever that thing is, it must taste pretty bad.
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#19 Anthony2173

Anthony2173

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:52 PM

YUCK... I was just sitting in the hot tub and heard something in the bushes. After grabbing a flashlight I went back out and found a rat walking across the lawn.

We saw a rat at Hopfield and Turnpike at the park the other day so I'm thinking we have ourselves a population explosion around here.

Does anybody have some sure fire get rid of vermon quick ideas?

#20 ysteinert

ysteinert

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Sep 15 2005, 12:28 PM)
I have not heard about the bubonic plague being found in Folsom cats, but a few weeks ago the Bee reported that cases of it have recently occurred in the Placerville area. 

The cats get it from killing infected rats.  If a cat has it, there is a danger it could pass it on to humans.  The Bee article recommended keeping cats indoors.

If you do have an outdoor cat, I'm not sure if there are any precautions you can take to make sure it doesn't bring the plague home to you.

View Post

We live in Willow Creek and have had several episodes with rats and mice as well. I'm glad not to have seen any snakes yet. My neighbor claims to have seen a rattler crossing the street this past summer.

#21 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:59 AM

Why not? The snakes would take care of the rat problem. Maybe we all need to get tomcats.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#22 Sonny

Sonny

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:14 PM

Those rats are so cute, I've seen a bunch of them having a fun time splashing in the gutter water along Iron Point.

#23 johnny

johnny

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:23 PM

Just to let you know that you are not imagining them. They are real and use the fences like back yard free ways. I also had one in my attic and had a pest guy desal with it as well. I belive that with the river and the new construction by Safeway we are in for a war with the rats and mice. Maybe the city of Folsom can erradicate them. That could take a while as well. The pelet gun is probly self soothing and will not dent the issue. Have fun with that.

#24 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

I saw signs of rats outside and purchased a rat trap. I have trapped at least 5 in the past month. I baited it with peanut butter. I guess they like it. I set it at night and leave it out, I pick it up in the morning so birds don't get killed in it.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#25 keyplayer

keyplayer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:music, ballet, scuba diving in tropical locations, bicycling, crusing on the bike (BMW1200LT)

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

The pellet gun can be very effective. The rats come to our bird feeder and so does the hawk. She has taken care of several rats. We worry that the hawks will eat poison rats (from the neighbor) and get sick. We haven't seen any rats for a few months but they usually increase traffic in the spring so we expect them back soon. The rats would stay in the ivy under my kitchen window, so I took the ivy out. I don't want them back that close to the kitchen.

#26 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:28 PM

Get a cat!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#27 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:16 AM

Man I hate rats!! angry.gif

#28 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

I got another one last night...
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#29 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Apr 11 2006, 02:27 PM) View Post

I saw signs of rats outside and purchased a rat trap.

What are the signs of a rat? How big are these ugly creatures?

#30 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(forumreader @ Apr 12 2006, 01:57 PM) View Post

What are the signs of a rat? How big are these ugly creatures?

Signs normally would be rat poop-- which is larger than mice or vole poop -

Other signs would be dead partially eaten rats left by a cat laying around the yard-- normally the head will be there, the backbone and the tail but not much else...

Another sign would be your dog bringing the above mentioned partially eaten rat into the house through the doggy door..

The last one we saw was about 9 inches with the tail ( but then the tail is like 4 inches)

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users