Photo
- - - - -

Proposed Muslim Mosque

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you in favor of the proposed mosque in Folsom? (148 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favor of the proposed mosque in Folsom?

1. YES, I welcome it in our community (119 votes [62.96%])

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

2. NO, I do not welcome it in our community (49 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

3. I haven't decided (21 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#526 crossski

crossski

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(LexHillsmom @ Nov 10 2005, 03:14 PM)
...which are the vast majority. 

Unfortunately, these criminals that perpetrate their violence in the name of their faith are continously referred to as Islamists and "Muslim terrorists".  The only people who benefit from this labeling are the terrorists themselves.  These barbarians use the label of Muslims/Islamists to try and win support of the Muslim majority (us. vs. them mentality)

When looking at atrocities that occur in our own country (high school shootings, attacks at the workplace, bombing of government buildings, ect.) does anyone label these maniacs Christians? 

Because these criminals come from countries where the predominant religon is Islam does not make Islam the source of their lunacy any more than we can blame our society's crime rate on Christians.  Blame the socio/economic/political climate for these horrific problems, not a faith that upholds peace, justice and the rule of law as its creed.

View Post

only problem with the labeling explanation you provide is that the 'terrorists'
that did attack the twin towers did so with their final words praising 'allah' and 'god is great' phrases as they plowed themselves and 3000 innocent people into the ground. Problem is they 'feel' that islam provides a cover/excuse for
their lunacy. It is up to the 'good' muslims to turn around this mis-guided following and heal their faith and not sit and wait for the west to fix it.

#527 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:58 PM

Just build the censored.gif thing and be done with it!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#528 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:12 PM

I think the next step is the public informational meeting/open house.

#529 kitkat

kitkat

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE(Bakeman @ Jul 25 2005, 08:32 AM) View Post

flag.gif Where can one in Folsom who objects to the building of the Mosque for moral reasons or any other reason be heard? Where can a good conservative thinker protest the construction and infiltration? No matter how you may view the presence of Muslim people in this country, I have not yet heard one condemn the acts of terrorism against western civilization. This would make them the enemy and no less.

I agree with you!!! I want to PROTEST this action!!! HOW? Where in the HISTORY of FOLSOM is this part of? Because this community theme is based on its historic landmark. So leave it at that.

#530 mysteryman21

mysteryman21

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

well, although, like many have stated befor, the people that were involved in 9-11 were Islam, lets not jump to conclusions and say that all Islamic people are "evil". Immagin this, you live during World War II, were you live, does not matter, as long as its in the U.S., about twenty miles outside of your town, there is Japanies Imprizon campo were they hold anybody that is even partly Japanese under gaurd. You do not like this idea, because you have a great friend that is Japanese, so you begin to protest these camp, bla bla bla, the rest is not important. What im trying to say ehre is that just becaause some people who have some power are using it for "evil purposes", in your eyes and mine as well, that does not mean that every single Muslim is "evil" , i say let em build there Mosque and let it be over with. Sure i hated when 9-11 happened, i was very upset, but thtat cant be used as a steryotype, causing people to start looking at the Muslim world with disgust (remember they are the second largest religion in the wolrd, second only to Christianity by only about 4-5 percent, so there are millions of people that are Muslim unlike them.

Not to start any further arguments, but in my eyes, we.. uh... im gonna get killed for this, probably even get kicked out or ignored but.. let me put you into another situation. Imagin... youy are playing Risk, if any of you play this game, then this wont be to ahrd to imagine, You controle N. America, and your enamy is massing up in his massive for in Venizwayla, (the country in S. America that touched N. America) what do you do? personally, id start massing up in some other area, putting just as much pressure on some other continent he holds, so if he attaks my N. America, i can attack him, tahts kinda what happened in the Middle East literally for a very, very long time, just sitting around pretty much in the Middle East. Now, the Muslims, being the people just like us that they are, desided to make the first move, this is probably what they thought, hey, hes going to atack us resentless eventually most likely, what else could those troops be doing there? might as well damage him befor he anialates us. I am not saying this is a good move, but it looked very much like the.. uh... "strategicly smart" thing to do. PLEASE keep in mind that i am not saying in any way that i hate, love, etc. Muslims in anyway whatsoeverm if a guy is a muslim, good for him, he believes in something, im not gonna go arond avoiding him cause he's one, im just gonna live my normal life.

P.S. SOOO sorry for the long writing, i just couldnbt think of any other way to make it short, and to that point, if i hadn't put you into the situations, you probably woulda been really mad, and hated me for doing what some might call "an evil act against the government", i had to speak completly open minded, not considering any thoughts i ahd on the subject, just give you the bare facts

Please take this into consideration, so, i say, just build the dang Mosque

#531 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(mysteryman21 @ Dec 6 2005, 09:12 PM) View Post

Imagin... youy are playing Risk, if any of you play this game, then this wont be to ahrd to imagine, You controle N. America, and your enamy is massing up in his massive for in Venizwayla, (the country in S. America that touched N. America) what do you do?

Finally, someone who can put things into perspective for me.

I'll tell you what I do. I put an equal amount of armies at all times (allowing for any card bonuses or continent/country armies that the opponent might be receiving next turn) onto Central America at all times, if I'm playing defensively.

However, if I'm playing offensively (closer to the end of the game), then I might put more, or more likely, I might put some pressure on Brazil from North Africa, and make that sucker fight a two front war.

Alternatively, if you're playing with binding peace agreements, then I'll simply make a two or three turn peace deal between Central America and Venezuela and redeploy my "Freedom Forces" (that's what I like to call them) up towards Alaska or Iceland. Usually Iceland, so I can push back the barbarian hordes coming out of Europe.

Holding North America is my favorite strategy (barely beating out the Australia "bide your time and collect 2 armies each turn strategy). Nothing beats safely collecting 5 armies each turn, if you can confidently hold North America.

In the end however, I'm not sure how well Risk strategy applies to the whole world, since the goal of Risk is to "KILL EVERYONE WHO IS NOT THE SAME COLOR AS YOU." I know there are of course some people that think that is a good idea in real life, I'm just not one of them.

#532 Enola Gay

Enola Gay

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:30 PM

How timely that a writer refers to Japanese internment camps. Yesterday, veterans of the U.S. Military and U.S. citizens, in general, remembered the infamous attack on Pearl Harbor. What most citizens have not read or heard about are the following days after the attack. During the 1930’s immigrants from the island of Japan poured into the U.S. to seek refuge from an ever growing and threatening military controlled state led by a self appointed “Minister of War” Hideki Tojo. Even under the reign of Emperor Hirohito, a decisive military buildup ensued, forcing many pacifist Japanese families to flee Japan and seek a new way of life in America. Arguably, one could consider these immigrants as the first generation of Japanese Americans; although, they were not. It wasn’t until their children were born stateside that a generation of Japanese Americans became inculcated into American life. And, that is where the problem began:

Pearl Harbor was simply one target of many that were planned attacks by the Japanese. (Sound familiar?).

In fact, shortly after the attack at Pearl Harbor, Japanese single-man subs were spotted in the San Francisco Bay. Fishing trawlers employed by Japanese were discovered along the central coast armed with deep-sea diving gear for mapping out the changing depths along Monterey Bay, for the purpose of close range submarine attacks. By 1941, while Pearl Harbor dug itself out of an unprecedented surprise attack, the rest of America, mainly the West Coast, was also in the sites of a determined country which nearly brought the U.S. to its knees.

By 1942, a war of transmission was underway between code breakers in the U.S intelligence community against a stealth Japanese spy network. To the shock and dismay of U.S. intelligence, Japanese spies had infiltrated some of the most secret U.S. intelligence groups at the time. It was revealed, after the war, that spies were indeed stationed within the White House. From the NSA all way to the White House, code was being intercepted that confirmed that Japan knew every detail of U.S. military and intelligence movement. How brilliant were the Japanese in masking their intent? The following is from an excerpt:

“The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its Government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.”

After the First World War, America desired an isolationist, pacifist stance towards other countries. It was that stance that ultimately led to an attack by an obscure, undermanned, indiscriminate country called Japan (Sound familiar?).

Shortening a much longer story, The American Intelligence and Military Community was humiliated by having its collective arse kicked by a country thought to be inferior in every way. (Sound familiar?) In a failed attempt to crack the Japanese spy community which was entrenched in major cities throughout the U.S., President Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066 on February 2, 1942 which led to the internment of over 120,000 Japanese of which over two-thirds were first generation Japanese Americans. How did America get to such an absurd state of panic?

History denotes that Japanese immigrants or the parents of Japanese Americans were very loyal to their mother land. Mostly, they were sympathetic to the Japanese Emperor and maintained a devout loyalty to Japan. It wasn’t difficult to cultivate a spy community within these inner city communities (Sound familiar?). The “Black Bag” squads failed miserably in gleaning data from this fiercely loyal community. Worse, very few Japanese Americans stepped forward in helping U.S. Intelligence for a comically simple reason that was lost on Americans: the Japanese-American children of immigrant parents were devoutly loyal to their parents to the point subservience. In other words, an entire U.S. population of Japanese kept their mouths shut (Sound familiar?). Internment prevailed and one of the worst episodes in U.S. history ensued.

What does our history have to do with a Mosque in Folsom?

Once again, America is in a war with extremists and not an entire population of peace loving citizens. Similar to those extremists that came forth from Japan, Germany and other countries, America fights the enemy of the people and not its people.

Muslims didn’t arrive on our shores after 9/11. Like the Japanese before them, there are vast Muslim communities that have thrived, prospered and contributed to the building of America for centuries.

Only in America can people of diverse cultures live peacefully and worship independently, side-by-side. The very fiber interwoven to create the fabric of America is as deeply rooted in our DNA as those French, Irish, German, Spanish and countless other non-Americans who lost their lives fighting side-by-side American Revolutionaries during our nation’s birth.

Look around you Folsom.

In an area less than the size of a football field, a London style Pub sits across the street from an Indian Bazaar, adjacent to a Japanese Buffet, across from a Mongolian restaurant, a few yards from a Christian Bookstore, next to a U.S. Army recruiting center, a block from an Italian eatery, next to a Western Store, a block away from a Chinese take-out, around the corner from a German auto shop, down the street from a Greek family diner all of whom are transported by a Russian taxi service around town.

Folsom isn’t a microcosm of America. Folsom is America.

Learn from history and build the damn Mosque.

#533 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(Enola Gay @ Dec 8 2005, 06:30 PM) View Post

In an area less than the size of a football field, a London style Pub sits across the street from an Indian Bazaar, adjacent to a Japanese Buffet, across from a Mongolian restaurant, a few yards from a Christian Bookstore, next to a U.S. Army recruiting center, a block from an Italian eatery, next to a Western Store, a block away from a Chinese take-out, around the corner from a German auto shop, down the street from a Greek family diner all of whom are transported by a Russian taxi service around town.

Folsom isn’t a microcosm of America. Folsom is America.

Excellent point! Where is there a decent Russian restaurant in town? There should be, this is a disgrace to America!

Edited by mylo, 09 December 2005 - 11:46 AM.

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#534 crossski

crossski

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:39 PM

Folsom mosque groundbreaking this saturday April 14th

http://www.masjidbilal.com/index.html

seems like a small lot for this off of Sibley.

#535 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(crossski @ Apr 12 2007, 06:39 PM) View Post
Folsom mosque groundbreaking this saturday April 14th

http://www.masjidbilal.com/index.html

seems like a small lot for this off of Sibley.

They have to start something on that lot because the permit is only good for two years and it expires May 2007, so they're trying to beat that deadline so they don't have to go back to the city for another approval process. They still don't have the money to do much. I stick by my prediction that this will never be built.

#536 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Terry @ Apr 12 2007, 07:00 PM) View Post
They have to start something on that lot because the permit is only good for two years and it expires May 2007, so they're trying to beat that deadline so they don't have to go back to the city for another approval process. They still don't have the money to do much. I stick by my prediction that this will never be built.

Do you have a basis for your prediction, Terry? Or just a guess?

Does "breaking ground" then extend the permit indefinitely??

#537 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

I think that lots have to have some work done every now and then in order for the permits to be valid. Palladio Mall and other long term projects will push dirt around for a week or so every so often and then you see nothing for a couple of years, I think this is why.

#538 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(john @ Apr 13 2007, 01:02 AM) View Post
I think that lots have to have some work done every now and then in order for the permits to be valid. Palladio Mall and other long term projects will push dirt around for a week or so every so often and then you see nothing for a couple of years, I think this is why.

Palladio had major revisions approved about 2 months ago, as you can see now, they are moving lot's of dirt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users