Photo
- - - - -

Plumbing Question: How Much To Install New Faucet?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:44 AM

You know what I'll say so I won't bother

#17 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Nov 8 2007, 08:44 AM) View Post
You know what I'll say so I won't bother

laugh.gif what took you so long?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#18 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:08 AM

Knowing Chad, he'd hire the most expensive plumber in town to do guarunteed work.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#19 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Nov 8 2007, 09:04 AM) View Post
laugh.gif what took you so long?

I was thinking that was going to be the first post. tongue.gif

#20 Agent_007

Agent_007

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:06 AM

the replacement is rather simple.

Here's a link to Angle Stops which are the thingies CW says are coming out of the wall. http://www.plumbingp....com/angle.html

Most plumbing is standardized on size. Newer homes are usually easier to work on than older homes.

Having replaced many faucets, kitchen sink ones included, it will run a novice around 3 hours if you have all your parts before starting the task.

First you'll need to decide to repair or replace your faucet. Personally, if you seek to replace buy one of high quality like a Kohler or Grohe. These are both higher end units and are incredibly durable and well built (fit, finish, material, plating, inner parts, hoses, fittings).

If you replace, you'll want to replace your supply lines. Make sure your supply lines are the correct size to fit your faucet and angle stops. You'll want to replace these because the rubber ends are compression fittings and over time the rubber fittings, well, become compressed and can cause a leak. Additionally, buy metal braided lines, they cost a little more, but this way your water pressure will less likely burst the supply line (rare but it does happen).

Yes, you'll be working on your back, looking up, getting junk in your eyes, cutting your knuckles on dried mortar, stretching your arms like you never did before while having the satisfaction of doing the job yourself.

Or you can always hire a professional.

It's really not that hard but you have to be willing to learn and get through it. Good luck.

#21 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(old soldier @ Nov 8 2007, 07:57 AM) View Post
you know there is no such thing as a honest car salesman but there has to be an honest plumber out there.

There is indeed.

His name is Jeff Boarze (Jeff Boarze Plumbing), he lives in Folsom, and he said it shouldn't cost more than $100 to install a new faucet. But he thinks we can repair the existing one for less. We're going to talk to Moen this afternoon (no time now) to see what they have to say. Regardless of what we decide (repair or replace), we'll be giving the work to him.

The plumber that wants $288 for the install actually quoted $238, but that was after a $50 discount because we mentioned we saw their ad in Penny Saver. So I thought $288 was a more accurate price to post, but maybe that "discount" is given to everyone, who knows?

Anyway, even at $238, that now sounds too expensive. That plumbing company is Domco, one that several people here have recommended. He still very well may be correct about needing to replace the faucet, but $238 just isn't right.

#22 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(Agent_007 @ Nov 8 2007, 10:06 AM) View Post
Personally, if you seek to replace buy one of high quality like a Kohler or Grohe. These are both higher end units and are incredibly durable and well built (fit, finish, material, plating, inner parts, hoses, fittings).

If you replace, you'll want to replace your supply lines. Make sure your supply lines are the correct size to fit your faucet and angle stops. You'll want to replace these becuase the rubber ends are compression fittings and over time the rubber fitting, well become compressed and can cause a leak. Additionally, buy metal braided lines, the cost a little more, but this way your water pressure will less likely burst the supply line (rare but it does happen).

Yes, you'll be working on your back, looking up, getting junk in your eyes, cutting your knuckles on dried mortar, stretching your arms like you never did before while having the satisfaction of doing the job yourself.

Or you can always hire a professional.

It's really not that hard but you have to be willing to learn and get through it. Good luck.

Yeah, well, I do do a lot of the stuff around the house, but I know when a job is one that I just don't want to tackle. I've replace faucets, toilets, and some other plumbing stuff, but this is something I'd rather pay someone to do.

Just not $288 (or even $238)!

Grohe & Kohler are excellent faucets (I prefer Grohe), but I don't think we want to spend that much. But we'll think about it -- thanks for the ideas.

#23 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(kanda @ Nov 8 2007, 10:53 AM) View Post
There is indeed.

His name is Jeff Boarze (Jeff Boarze Plumbing), he lives in Folsom, and he said it shouldn't cost more than $100 to install a new faucet. But he thinks we can repair the existing one for less. We're going to talk to Moen this afternoon (no time now) to see what they have to say. Regardless of what we decide (repair or replace), we'll be giving the work to him.

The plumber that wants $288 for the install actually quoted $238, but that was after a $50 discount because we mentioned we saw their ad in Penny Saver. So I thought $288 was a more accurate price to post, but maybe that "discount" is given to everyone, who knows?

Anyway, even at $238, that now sounds too expensive. That plumbing company is Domco, one that several people here have recommended. He still very well may be correct about needing to replace the faucet, but $238 just isn't right.

now that guy Jeff sounds like a very good and honest plumber and that is the right (and reasonable) price for the labor - good find and thanks for posting about him

#24 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Nov 8 2007, 10:58 AM) View Post
now that guy Jeff sounds like a very good and honest plumber and that is the right (and reasonable) price for the labor - good find and thanks for posting about him

I'll post an update next week, if there's anything to add.

We called Moen, and they pretty much admitted (without specifically saying so) that the Domco guy was right. So Jeff Boaze (who's a really nice guy) is fairly priced, but he isn't as knowledgeable about Moen faucets as the Domco guy was. Anyway, they offered to send some replacement parts for free, or get a new replacement faucet for a $50 "handling" fee. We opted for the new faucet, so it will come next week, and we'll have Jeff install it.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

#25 Solartide

Solartide

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:02 AM

I'll be in folsom tomorrow, I'll do it for 250, no tax.

#26 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

I'll do $200

#27 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Nov 9 2007, 10:04 AM) View Post
I'll do $200

hey now guys, they probably want it to be done right tongue.gif

#28 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:27 AM

I've done dozens of 'em, the only problem I had was in a 1930's house that the pipe coming from the wall just shredded (don't mix metals!). In a modern house, it's such a simple replacement, I'll even lower my bid to $150 smile.gif

#29 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Nov 9 2007, 10:27 AM) View Post
I've done dozens of 'em, the only problem I had was in a 1930's house that the pipe coming from the wall just shredded (don't mix metals!). In a modern house, it's such a simple replacement, I'll even lower my bid to $150 smile.gif

oh thats right - you have experienced ancient plumbing repairs - you probably could get it done fairly well

#30 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Nov 9 2007, 10:27 AM) View Post

How much babysitting could I trade you to replace the two of mine upstairs in the kids' bathroom?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users