• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#16 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE(SacKen @ Jun 9 2008, 12:46 PM) View Post
It wouldn't be Folsom without overblown hysterics over any new business that isn't a Starbucks.

Don't forget, we had ample hysterics over the proposed Starbucks in the Historic District.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#17 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 9 2008, 11:48 AM) View Post
Don't forget, we had ample hysterics over the proposed Starbucks in the Historic District.

wait, are you telling me there is a starbucks proposed for the historic district????? where????
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#18 Prairie Oaks Agitator

Prairie Oaks Agitator

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

I'm amazed that someone is opposing a Family Activity Center, and found 100 other short-sighted doofoids to agree (if the Telegraph story is correct)

How many times have Folsom residents on this board and out in real life bemoaned the lack of places in town for family fun? According to the story, Strikes offers bowling, arcade, lazer tag, rock climbing, and restaurant? And birthday party venue? An all-in-one variety of fun things for kids & parents to do in one contained location? And locating it in an already-constructed vacant building that is centrally located and set back from the streets with a big parking lot?

Sure doesn't sound like "A BAR! IT'S A BAR!" to me, sounds like just what we need, even if there was no beer.

Sign me up --- TEAM STRIKES !!!

#19 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jun 9 2008, 12:53 PM) View Post
wait, are you telling me there is a starbucks proposed for the historic district????? where????

It was proposed in what I believe is now the Mind Over Matter Toyshop at 915 Sutter. Or maybe next door.

#20 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 9 2008, 11:55 AM) View Post
It was proposed in what I believe is now the Mind Over Matter Toyshop at 915 Sutter. Or maybe next door.

so in Jerry's new bank building. Well, that surprises me, because Jerry said he was going to keep the corporate chains out and support local businesses. that would be very disappointing. Black Rooster and Karens don't need that kind of chain competiton.

#21 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jun 9 2008, 12:57 PM) View Post
so in Jerry's new bank building. Well, that surprises me, because Jerry said he was going to keep the corporate chains out and support local businesses. that would be very disappointing. Black Rooster and Karens don't need that kind of chain competiton.

I wouldn't fear. I believe the idea was scrapped some time ago.

#22 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 9 2008, 11:59 AM) View Post
I wouldn't fear. I believe the idea was scrapped some time ago.

that's good. I know Jerry is facing big building debt since new construction is anything but cheap. Let's hope he continues to scrap that idea in the new buildings he's putting on the rr block. He seems very civic minded. I just hope the financial pressures don't force him to fall into the corporate chain cycle.....

#23 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

I don't think a Strikes would negatively impact the surrounding neighborhoods, but maybe the only concern isn't alcohol consumption. Does Strikes have live music, the type that might require bouncers? I've never been to the one in Rocklin so I don't have a clue, and that's why I'm asking.

Otherwise, I don't see the reason for any concern and I think it would be a great addition to Folsom.

#24 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 9 2008, 12:48 PM) View Post

You're right! I forgot about that one! Folsom really saddens me sometimes.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#25 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Jun 9 2008, 01:21 PM) View Post
I don't think a Strikes would negatively impact the surrounding neighborhoods,

It could. Depends how it's managed and/or policed. These places can attract a problem crowd if you let it get out of hand.

I admit I wouldn't want one near me, and if most people were to be honest, they'd agree. And if they do have live music, etc, then you can expect a fair share of trouble. That's just the way it is with clubs.

Would it be fun for kids and birthday parties, yes. But it could also become a different animal at night.

NIMBY is OK...it's just a normal reaction.
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#26 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Jun 9 2008, 01:33 PM) View Post
It could. Depends how it's managed and/or policed. These places can attract a problem crowd if you let it get out of hand.

I admit I wouldn't want one near me, and if most people were to be honest, they'd agree. And if they do have live music, etc, then you can expect a fair share of trouble. That's just the way it is with clubs.

Would it be fun for kids and birthday parties, yes. But it could also become a different animal at night.

NIMBY is OK...it's just a normal reaction.

That's why I'm asking the question. Everybody seemed to slam the woman in the article for speaking up. I don't feel I can comment either way because I've never been to a Strikes. The family-oriented activities sound great. I don't know if the people who are opposed have taken the time to check out how the Rocklin Strikes is operated. The restaurants across the street will be winding down by about 11:00. Will there be noise later than that at a Strikes?

#27 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Jun 9 2008, 01:43 PM) View Post
That's why I'm asking the question. Everybody seemed to slam the woman in the article for speaking up. I don't feel I can comment either way because I've never been to a Strikes. The family-oriented activities sound great. I don't know if the people who are opposed have taken the time to check out how the Rocklin Strikes is operated. The restaurants across the street will be winding down by about 11:00. Will there be noise later than that at a Strikes?

I've been to Strikes in Rocklin a few times for work outtings. It's a nice place, seemed mostly family oriented and included an arcade for the kids, best part was the state of the art bowling lanes.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#28 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jun 9 2008, 12:48 PM) View Post

yeah well that was just a bad idea to begin with.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#29 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

Sounds like the Realtor has a personal agenda and is using the liquor thing as an excuse. rolleyes.gif

#30 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

SacBee article (starts about 1/3rd through):
http://www.sacbee.co...ory/953937.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users