104 replies to this topic

#91 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

I looked at the traffics and I said forget it, as much as I like air show. Hopefully next year it will be better with the traffic planning.

#92 keyplayer

keyplayer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:music, ballet, scuba diving in tropical locations, bicycling, crusing on the bike (BMW1200LT)

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

Some of you may call it useless complaining but lots of people read this board and may help to improve things next year. We took ight rail on Sunday and it was a mess. There were at least 50 people at the Glenn station and we couldn't get tickets fast enough to make the train. The machine was incredabley slow. The paper said light rail was free after you got to the bus route but there was nothing to say if we could ride the train free to get there. We missed the first train waiting in line and got tickets just as the next train arrived 30 minutes later. There was a longer line behind us than when we first got there. The driver finally told everyone to get on. It was very tight standing room only. The crowds were fine but after encouraging everyone to take light rail they should have some one at the station to help with the ticket situation. We talked to some people who came later and they had finally put up a sign saying not to buy a ticket and just get on. The busses were also very crowded but pretty well run. The return was more difficult because everyone was leaving at the same time. We looked at planes as long as we could after the Blue Angels but they were closing up and light rail had advertised that the busses would stop at 5:00. At 4:45 there were still hundreds of people waiting to get on busses. We couldn't even see the end of the line. We walked to the light rail station and were lucky to make the first train after we got there.
The other big problem was food and drink. The lines were an hour or longer everywhere I checked and food ran out early. Normally I would take food and drink but didn't take much because the info said it would not be allowed in. We only had water. If it had been hotter it could have been a very dangerious situation.

We still had fun but the organinzers can do alot to make it better next year. I hope they are paying attention.

#93 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

I hope so too that the city of Sacramento takes notice of the traffic and organizing problems and make it better next year. It takes time to improve things.

#94 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Mar 20 2006, 09:52 PM) View Post
I hope so too that the city of Sacramento takes notice of the traffic and organizing problems and make it better next year. It takes time to improve things.

Well it was the city of Rancho Cordova, but your point still is valid. Live and learn, I'm suer they learned a lot...

#95 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(keyplayer @ Mar 20 2006, 09:46 PM) View Post

Some of you may call it useless complaining but lots of people read this board and may help to improve things next year. We took ight rail on Sunday and it was a mess. There were at least 50 people at the Glenn station and we couldn't get tickets fast enough to make the train. The machine was incredabley slow. The paper said light rail was free after you got to the bus route but there was nothing to say if we could ride the train free to get there. We missed the first train waiting in line and got tickets just as the next train arrived 30 minutes later. There was a longer line behind us than when we first got there. The driver finally told everyone to get on. It was very tight standing room only. The crowds were fine but after encouraging everyone to take light rail they should have some one at the station to help with the ticket situation. We talked to some people who came later and they had finally put up a sign saying not to buy a ticket and just get on. The busses were also very crowded but pretty well run. The return was more difficult because everyone was leaving at the same time. We looked at planes as long as we could after the Blue Angels but they were closing up and light rail had advertised that the busses would stop at 5:00. At 4:45 there were still hundreds of people waiting to get on busses. We couldn't even see the end of the line. We walked to the light rail station and were lucky to make the first train after we got there.
The other big problem was food and drink. The lines were an hour or longer everywhere I checked and food ran out early. Normally I would take food and drink but didn't take much because the info said it would not be allowed in. We only had water. If it had been hotter it could have been a very dangerious situation.

We still had fun but the organinzers can do alot to make it better next year. I hope they are paying attention.

I was concerned about trying light rail for exactly the experience you had. Once they nail this down and can effectively deal with the numbers, perhaps this will be a good option. I've heard from some people that they waited 1.5 hours or more for a bus -- so what was the advantage over driving and just sitting tight in the parking lot?

As I said before, officials had no idea how successful this event would be. Now that they know what kinds of numbers they attract, they can better plan for crowds, food, garbage, and traffic next time.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#96 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

Check out the link below from the SacBee.

http://data.sacbee.c...s?d_begin=0

101 Photos of the Air Show... Blue Angels
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#97 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE(camay2327 @ Mar 24 2006, 10:55 AM) View Post

Check out the link below from the SacBee.

http://data.sacbee.c......s?d_begin=0

101 Photos of the Air Show... Blue Angels

Cool! one of my photos got posted http://data.sacbee.c...ers?d_begin=36

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#98 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Mar 24 2006, 11:27 AM) View Post

Cool! one of my photos got posted http://data.sacbee.c...ers?d_begin=36

You should be expecting a royalty check?
It's a great picture

#99 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Mar 24 2006, 11:39 AM) View Post

You should be expecting a royalty check?
It's a great picture

Hehehe I wish! Actually its really neat to see it up there

thanks!

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#100 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

They used two of my photos as well -- #42 and #43 (although they left my name off of #43).
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#101 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Mar 24 2006, 12:37 PM) View Post

They used two of my photos as well -- #42 and #43 (although they left my name off of #43).

Great pics. perfect timing on this one!
Did you and Dave have to go through each picture to find yours? Glad they wern't #s 99 or 100

#102 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Mar 24 2006, 12:50 PM) View Post

Great pics. perfect timing on this one!
Did you and Dave have to go through each picture to find yours? Glad they wern't #s 99 or 100

The timing was sheer luck! I've got a digital camera with a bit of a delay, so I do my best, but can't count on the end result. I couldn't figure out a way to go directly to certain pics -- just forwarded through one at a time.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#103 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(Resume Lady @ Mar 20 2006, 10:56 PM) View Post

I was concerned about trying light rail for exactly the experience you had. Once they nail this down and can effectively deal with the numbers, perhaps this will be a good option. I've heard from some people that they waited 1.5 hours or more for a bus -- so what was the advantage over driving and just sitting tight in the parking lot?

As I said before, officials had no idea how successful this event would be. Now that they know what kinds of numbers they attract, they can better plan for crowds, food, garbage, and traffic next time.

Our experience was quite different - we walked to the Sutter Street light rail station and caught the noon train. There was a large a-frame sign that looked as though it had been pre-printed (not just a tape up job) that said both light rail and buses were fere to the Capital Air Show and both Saturday and Sunday. We got on the train, and there were probably 20 other people. At Glenn another 20 got on the 5-car train, then at Iron Point there were probably 50 people. At that point it was standing room only, but the crowd was jovial and friendly. (Oh by the way, thanks to the Bella Vista High School young man - I could tell by his shirt - who got up to offer his seat to an older man). We got off at Mills Station/Mather Field and immediately got on buses (there were probably 7 or 8 buses waiting and got to the Air Show.

I will agree however that the food vendors were ill-equipped for the size of the crowd, but heck, who knew?

Our ride back was the same - quick bus ride to Mills Station, and a nice trip back to Sutter Street on Light Rail.

What time did you all go that had light rail so jammed up?

#104 keyplayer

keyplayer

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:music, ballet, scuba diving in tropical locations, bicycling, crusing on the bike (BMW1200LT)

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

We missed the 11:05 train waiting in line and ended up on the 11:35 train. We were will past standing room only. When we stoped at Iron Point some people got on but no one could get in at the rest of the stops and the security people had to stop people from blocking the doors so we could leave the station. Apparently the train wont move if the doors aren't completely closed. But as you experienced the crowd was jovial and everyone was visiting.

#105 wildlifeprotector

wildlifeprotector

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(davburr @ Mar 19 2006, 10:37 PM) View Post

I hope it becomes an annual event. It was really good.

For improvements they need to plan with the police better and advertise that its suggested people use the light rail. (had I known I woulda done that) Next, they need to make more then one gate entrance - along with better organizing the scanning of tix purchased online. Next ,and a mega important one - DOUBLE the amount of vendors of food and drink and more porta potties! It took about 20-30 minutes to get thru any line.

We lucked out getting out of there, I parked off mathers near industrial (or something) and we walked to the show - best part... I got home in around 10 minutes.

I hope they're here again next year sun.gif

We rode lightrail it was a breeze. flag.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users