23 replies to this topic

#1 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:47 PM

On the corner of Plaza Dr. and Parkshore, directly across the street from Winco, foundations have been laid for the soon to be built Goodwill Store and Donation Center.

It is only my guess that a donation center would replace donation trucks in parking lots like the one in Wal-Mart's parking lot. Hopefully the donation center will take furniture, as the trucks will not.

A Goodwill Store seems a little out of place, based on the area, but I like to browse through stores like that from time to time.

#2 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:14 PM

Why would they not put this closer to the light rail? Now, we're going to have a 24-hour store that also sells liquor right next to a Goodwill store?? Doesn't sound like a good neighborhood match.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#3 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:58 PM

Is that the old Farley that posted? I hope you realize these boards have changed for the better.

#4 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(tessieca @ May 3 2005, 12:14 PM)
Why would they not put this closer to the light rail?  Now, we're going to have a 24-hour store that also sells liquor right next to a Goodwill store??  Doesn't sound like a good neighborhood match.

View Post

100 yards (give or take a few) is a long walk from the light rail, isn't it?

and yeah, way to play the Fear-card ("the sky is falling! we're all doomed! CHANGE IS BAD, PEOPLE, BAD!!!")

you're proving yourself to be one of those NIMBY's that (a) fears change and (b) is a Socio-Economic BIGOT.

#5 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:39 AM

Cool. I hate throwing useful stuff out, and a nearby location that accepts donations would be convenient.

#6 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(bishmasterb @ May 12 2005, 12:39 PM)
Cool. I hate throwing useful stuff out, and a nearby location that accepts donations would be convenient.

View Post

I sure will be.
I was just musing about who would be using this store and thought that many folsomites would likely go there , but would drive their kids car or use the back door to enter to prevent detection - LOL smile.gif

Heck I like cheap $$$ stuff

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#7 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(tessieca @ May 3 2005, 12:14 PM)
Why would they not put this closer to the light rail?  Now, we're going to have a 24-hour store that also sells liquor right next to a Goodwill store??  Doesn't sound like a good neighborhood match.

View Post

I believe this will bring a radical increase in the amount of traffic on that section of Blue Ravine (and by extension, Folsom Blvd.)

We lived a mile or so away from a Goodwill Store in Santa Clara. I donated items frequently. The amount of traffic in and out of that parking lot was amazing -- there were always 2 or 3 cars rolling in to drop stuff off as well as a parking lot full of shoppers. It is very high turn-over traffic -- dozens of cars per hour enter, stay for 10 minutes, and leave.

Add to this the fact that Tricks is going to open their new gym in the same location. As anyone familiar with Tricks knows, during after-school hours they often have 100+ kids at a time taking gymnastics lessons. Again, they create an extremely high volume of traffic for a single retail location.

Personally, I'm glad Tricks will be coming nearer to where I live, since we're there 3x per week. However, I do wonder what this will mean for traffic in our corner of Folsom. I would hate for it to become as heavily trafficked as many of the roads in the Bay area that are lined with strip malls.

#8 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(Farley @ May 2 2005, 12:47 PM)
On the corner of Plaza Dr. and Parkshore, directly across the street from Winco, foundations have been laid for the soon to be built Goodwill Store and Donation Center.

It is only my guess that a donation center would replace donation trucks in parking lots like the one in Wal-Mart's parking lot.  Hopefully the donation center will take furniture, as the trucks will not.

A Goodwill Store seems a little out of place, based on the area, but I like to browse through stores like that from time to time.

View Post

Thats great news! Thanks for posting the info. As far as the location goes its as good as any other - no?

Dave

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#9 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ May 12 2005, 12:21 PM)
I believe this will bring a radical increase in the amount of traffic on that section of Blue Ravine (and by extension, Folsom Blvd.)

We lived a mile or so away from a Goodwill Store in Santa Clara.  I donated items frequently.  The amount of traffic in and out of that parking lot was amazing -- there were always 2 or 3 cars rolling in to drop stuff off as well as a parking lot full of shoppers.  It is very high turn-over traffic -- dozens of cars per hour enter, stay for 10 minutes, and leave. 

Add to this the fact that Tricks is going to open their new gym in the same location.  As anyone familiar with Tricks knows, during after-school hours they often have 100+ kids at a time taking gymnastics lessons.  Again, they create an extremely high volume of traffic for a single retail location. 

Personally, I'm glad Tricks will be coming nearer to where I live, since we're there 3x per week.  However, I do wonder what this will mean for traffic in our corner of Folsom.  I would hate for it to become as heavily trafficked as many of the roads in the Bay area that are lined with strip malls.

View Post

still trying to decipher if you SUPPORT this new location for goodwill. you mention your support of Tricks, but nothing else.

i think this will do more good than anything. it (the store) will be close to lightrail (ie, easier access for low-income or those without other transportation). it will be a great place for folsomites to get rid of their excess (and we all know that this town is full of "Casa's Du Excess"). a great place for college kids, or low-income folks to pickup new clothes and furniture (some people, believe or not, can't always afford that new armoire from Pottery Barn/Crate & Barrel/Pier1/Bombay/CostPlus/etc....). and it will certainly be helpful since both the trucks that park in the WalMart parking lot, and the "goodwill" shop at the "ghetto" end of Bidwell, both seem pretty overwhelmed........

i think this is a good thing. traffic in that area is going to get NASTY regardless. you've got a new office building going in behind Tahoe Joes. You've got new strip malls sprouting up North of Folsom Blvd/Blue Ravine (the side of Folsom Blvd closest to "Old Town"). You've got new developments up around Safeway, where they torn down all those beautiful trees, and displaced a family of wolves. You've got the car wash going in at the corner of Prairie City/Blue Ravine. I could go on, but you get the point. It's only a matter of time before Folsom is 'filled-in', and traffic here is just as bad as traffic in other parts of the county........

#10 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:15 PM

I'm curious how the Goodwill Store will handle night-time "donations". Right now they have a problem with people dropping off "donations" at the trailers in the Walmart parking lot in the middle of the night. It's mostly garbage that people just don't want to take to the dump.

I'm concerned the same will happen in the parking lot of the Goodwill Store. I'm sure they have experience with this issue, so we'll see. Maybe cameras taping the parking lot????

#11 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Terry @ May 12 2005, 01:15 PM)
I'm curious how the Goodwill Store will handle night-time "donations".  Right now they have a problem with people dropping off "donations" at the trailers in the Walmart parking lot in the middle of the night.  It's mostly garbage that people just don't want to take to the dump.

I'm concerned the same will happen in the parking lot of the Goodwill Store.  I'm sure they have experience with this issue, so we'll see.  Maybe cameras taping the parking lot????

View Post

that's what they do at the "goodwill"/thrift store at the far north end of Bidwell (use cameras).

#12 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Terry @ May 12 2005, 01:15 PM)
I'm curious how the Goodwill Store will handle night-time "donations".  Right now they have a problem with people dropping off "donations" at the trailers in the Walmart parking lot in the middle of the night.  It's mostly garbage that people just don't want to take to the dump.

I'm concerned the same will happen in the parking lot of the Goodwill Store.  I'm sure they have experience with this issue, so we'll see.  Maybe cameras taping the parking lot????

View Post

Yes, that was a problem at the Santa Clara Goodwill store, too. The parking lot had a very dirty, decrepit feel with all kinds of "mystery" brown bags and plastic bags scattered about.

To answer your question, Yab Yum, I like the concept of a Goodwill thrift store but I'm not sure this is the right area for it. I would have put it in a more industrial area -- perhaps on Folsom Blvd. near Hazel or Sunrise.

I hope the City will be strict with Goodwill about keeping the parking lot tidy and presentable.

#13 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ May 12 2005, 02:31 PM)

To answer your question, Yab Yum, I like the concept of a Goodwill thrift store but I'm not sure this is the right area for it.  I would have put it in a more industrial area -- perhaps on Folsom Blvd. near Hazel or Sunrise. 

fair enough. so....how do you feel about the 'thrift store'/goodwill-like center up on Bidwell (near the old HS)? do you also feel it's not "the right area for it"?

and why Hazel or Sunrise (aka, outside Folsom boundries)?? Putting it on Folsom Blvd in Rancho would make it just as accessible to light-rail as the current (new) location off of Blue Ravine.

I hope the City will be strict with Goodwill about keeping the parking lot tidy and presentable.

i don't see this as posing a huge problem, personally. plus, the store is set back FAR off of Blue Ravine, back behind other businesses. then again, maybe this was part of Folsom's desires: to keep it somewhat hidden? Who knows......

Regardless, I don't see how this could do ANY harm, but i do see how this store will do at least some good for a number of people (not to mention the added jobs)...

#14 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:37 AM

Grand Opening of the new Folsom Goodwill department store is Thursday, Sept. 22, at 9:00 a.m.. Location 15 Plaza Drive (behind the Winco Food Store on Blue Ravine).

#15 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

Today I made my first visit to the new Folsom Goodwill Store. For a Tuesday morning they were pretty busy.

First off it is a great place for books. Hardbacks are $2.00 each and paperbacks are $1.00 each. I bought three paperbacks by some of my favorite authors. The selection is good and I am sure will change often. There are plenty of childrens' and kids' books, cook books, self-help, crafts, etc. A good place to look for books.

Again this is treasure hunt shopping, and I found a pair of good size brass cranes. We collect cranes made from many different materials. This is a nice addition to the crane collection throughout our house.

I bought an Old Navy vest jacket for $4.00 that appears to be brand new.

Though I did not buy any this trip, they have a good collection of jeans and levis all for $4.00 a pair.

The store has several fitting rooms, some furniture, pictures, lots of stuff, cook ware, etc.

There is a large drop-off station in back of the store, and, unlike Goodwill trucks, they will take furniture if it is saleable condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users