#1 UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Just visiting this planet.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts
  • Interests:Truth Prevails

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:27 AM

Why should we drop out of the Government & Politics forum?

1. It's probably safe to say no one in any political camp has ever successfully changed the mind of someone in a different camp. That applies to this forum and probably every other political forum in the history of the internet. 

:cuss3:    :cuss2: 

2. Political debate often sows discord, emphasizing our differences and leads to divisiveness.

:BNANADANCE:            :shoot:

3. It's spiritually meaningless as the material world is an illusion, and we are actually all united in spirit.   :saint:

(Discuss among yourselves)  :old:

1 God: 1 World: 1 People     :peaceman: 

#2 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:03 AM

I disagree. Instead of retreating to out mental bunkers and surrounding ourselves with like minded groupthink, it is far better to have ones views challenged so that we have to self reflect to determine if our worldviews are indeed correct. That goes for religion, politics, or any other deeply held beliefs. Unfortunately, most just go all tribal (gotta get around to reading that book Tribe by Junger) and shout and spew their rhetoric. Problem is, you can't LISTEN when you are shouting. Another problem is that many people demonize those of any other tribe or those that dare to disagree with any of their closely held "truths."

CONVERSATION in politics is difficult. However, I will continue to make an effort to do so in  as rational a manner as I can.  I try to attack the IDEAS, not the person. I know you get a lot of grief here Vin, and I feel for you. I also respect that you continue to try to make your case despite some rather distasteful attacks/behavior by some.

AND you actually concede when someone has made good points.  While I think we would disagree on most things politically, I think we could have a great time discussion philosophy, religion, and many other topics. I think you are a good person, regardless of your misinformed politics ;)

As an aside, of my 4 closest friends, two are fairly liberal and 2 are fairly conservative.  No bubble for AJ!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#3 Rose White

Rose White

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

I think Vinny has dished it out as good as he has got. Now because his tactics haven't worked, he is talking about leaving the board. Could it be that the real reason is that many of us have had enough of the smack talk and chose not to read his posts or respond any more?

Nobody wants to try and converse with someone who mocks, jokes and distracts from the subject all the time.  And that is why many have given up on Vinny. Now that he's not getting attention, he wants to quit the political board. Let him!

Maybe he needs a spiritual retreat and time to tame those voices (ego) in his head. I wish him the best what ever he chooses.

#4 slowthegrowth

slowthegrowth

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:37 PM

Anyone looking objectively at the posts here would see the difference between Vinny's and everyone else.

It is the same tactic being used by the far lest groups like antifa. Simply taunt and insult the other side mindlessly with zero intent of backing up their vitriol with facts or dialogue.

I think it would be wonderful if an intelligent and informed liberal would post here. I've been here a long time.... it's been a while since we've had one.

#5 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

He won't leave.. he's done this before.. he's being a drama queen as usual. But if he does leave, good riddance to the clown. Every day for nearly 3 years he's been posting the same *I hate Trump* TDS nonsense. THAT in itself suggests a semi-serious mental disorder, in my professional opinion. He needs to seek psychiatric help.

#6 UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

• Premium Member
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:18 PM

Good post Joe. Yes, I respect your position and professionalism.

To the disappointment of some, I am not withdrawing from my positions or the forum, but rather simply

trying to abandon the "I'm right / You're wrong" kind of intolerance.
I am not cowed by criticism or personal attacks.

I have family in rural areas, where wild dogs attack their livestock, and snakes infest the fields,

and they use guns to eliminate the vermin. I can see how a city-slicker from a crime-ravaged city

would have a different view of gun ownership. It may well be that both are correct in their own

environment. In the same way, I can see political opinions shaped by past history.

Just a more global viewpoint, and I hope it leads to fewer attacks.

I will continue to make an effort to do so in  as rational a manner as I can.  I try to attack the IDEAS, not the person. I know you get a lot of grief here Vin, and I feel for you. I also respect that you continue to try to make your case despite some rather distasteful attacks/behavior by some.

AND you actually concede when someone has made good points.

#7 UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

• Premium Member
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:21 PM

I think Vinny has dished it out as good as he has got. Now because his tactics haven't worked, he is talking about leaving the board. Could it be that the real reason is that many of us have had enough of the smack talk and chose not to read his posts or respond any more?

Nobody wants to try and converse with someone who mocks, jokes and distracts from the subject all the time.  And that is why many have given up on Vinny. Now that he's not getting attention, he wants to quit the political board. Let him!

Sounds pretty "mocking and attacking" to me! Ha, ha!

#8 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:12 PM

Anyone looking objectively at the posts here would see the difference between Vinny's and everyone else.

It is the same tactic being used by the far lest groups like antifa. Simply taunt and insult the other side mindlessly with zero intent of backing up their vitriol with facts or dialogue.

I think it would be wonderful if an intelligent and informed liberal would post here. I've been here a long time.... it's been a while since we've had one.

And yet Ace does exactly the same thing.  Politically, I am closer to his stance than Vin's, and yet I would much rather have a beer with vin. To rude, too obnoxious...and, he will turn on you in a heartbeat if you dare to leave the ideological plantation.

As for Rose's posst. THAT is exactly what I was talking about...retreating to an ideologically coherent bubble. The left wants to silence dissent, and now I see the right choosing to ignore anything that doesn't go along with their perception. Both sides of a bad coin.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#9 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:49 PM

Simple answer......   Like Petey says, and I hate to admit it, the other six of us here would miss you.  Well, maybe just me, the other five are just Maga Hat jerks....!   Just kidding guys, all around.  Except for maybe the six of us part...   Now for a group hug led by my favorite democrat, and I am not kidding, Marianne Williamson.  I'd so give her a Joe Biden booby hug in a NY split second.........!   Love that girl.  The future of the democrat party she is......!    Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics, drop out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users