• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 checkmate3001

checkmate3001

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Computer stuff. Linux. Webpages. Fixing things (I fix cameras for a living).

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

I ran into a cop at Coopers this morning. He mentioned National Night Out was tonight and that different neighborhoods were throwing block parties. I guess it gives different neighbors a chance to meet and talk with each other and the Folsom Police go to different block parties to reach out and see what are the concerns for each neighborhood.

Anyone have any info on the Historic district block party?

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

If your neighborhood has a Neighborhood Watch program, then people in the neighborhood should have been notified of a gathering. Not all neighborhoods are in NW; it takes someone to step up and get it organized, gather everyone's contact info, coordinate events like this, and then notify his/her neighbors.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 checkmate3001

checkmate3001

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Computer stuff. Linux. Webpages. Fixing things (I fix cameras for a living).

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Maybe I need to get something together. I'm kind of surprised if Historic District doesn't have a neighborhood watch... kind of...

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

I hope you don't mind me responding to your PM here, Checkmate, as others may have the same questions regarding how to start a Neighbhorhood Watch program.

My son kicked off our program as his senior project; I served as co-captain with him and have run our program since.

It's a little bit of work to get a NW program going, but not that much to maintain it once it's launched and it's worth it to help neighbors know one another and look out one another.

Kicking off the NW Program:

1. Contact Rosie Kracher. Foslom Police Community Services, at RKracher@folsom.ca.us or at (16) 351-3409. Tell her you are interested in starting a NW program in your neighborhod and ask about having someone come out to speak to a group of neighbors about what is involved, general safety, looking out for one another, etc.

2. Define your "neighborhood." Are you going to start with one block, a few blocks, a subdivision....? Draft a letter to your neighbors explaining NW and inviting them to the meeting. Ask that they include their phone numbers and email addresses with their RSVPs to be included in a roster that everyone will get. Assure them that the contact information will be used only for NW purposes (and print that at the top of the roster as well).

3. Print up an initial roster for the meeting; ask neighbors who provided contact info to proof it and ask others who haven't provided it yet to add theirs.

4. The speakers, often community volunteers, will explain the program and answer general questions about safety. Some neighbors may not feel comfortable providing contact information until after they hear the what the program is about.

The Basics of What I/We Do:

1. I maintain the contact list. Every time I update it I add the "Last Updated" date at the top and email it out to everyone.

When new neighbors move in I try to get down to their house to meet them and/or send them a letter inviting them to join NW.

2. When neighbors know one another they are more likely to say hello, to hang out at the mail box, and to look out for one another.

3. When a neighbor observes suspicious activity in our area, that neighbor contacts the Folsom PD (nonemergency number unless it is an emergency) and also brings it to my attention so I can send out email notification to all neighbors.

4. From time to time I receive email alerts from Rosie and/or Nixle alerts (anyone can sign up for Nixle alerts, but some just don't get around to it: http://www.nixle.com/ ); I send out email notifications to neighbors.

5. Neighbors are encouraged to tell those close to them when they are going to be away -- to bring in the newspaper and/or mail. to keep an eye on the house, to let neighbors know someone will be housesitting and what kind of vehicle that person drives.

6. On the first Tuesday of August every year we hold a NW National Night Out gathering. You can decide what you want to do. I'm sure some do cookouts; I don't have time to plan that for a week night so I hold an ice cream social. NW captains receive notificaton of NNO from Rosie and captains submit an RSVP to let the city know what they're planning and how many people they expect (so you get your invitations and requests for RSVPs out to neighbors in a timely manner). Once the city knows you are planning to participate your neighborhood gets added to the list for officials to visit.

We had a great turnout tonght with 42 neighbors. We had visits from firefighters, police officers, a canine officer, community services volunteers, and city officials. We never know what we'll get; last year the equestrian unit came as well. The children got to sit in the fire engine and on the police motorcycle, adults and children asked questions, and everyone enjoyed making their own sundaes. I put out bubbles and chalk for the kiddies.

We used to have more neighborhood functions, but life gets busy. A few years ago one of our neighbors, who is an ICS chili cook and judge coordinated a chili cook-off for our street. That was a lot of fun (and I came in second!). We talked briefly tonight about doing a BBQ in the autumn. It really is a lot of fun when we all get together and we have a better sense of neighborhood when we do.

I hope that helps. If I missed something, don't hesitate to ask. Perhaps others here who are involved in NW can chime in with what they do.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

Hm, wondering why I have to go hunting for this thread -- why it isn't showing up when I click "View New Content."

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#6 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

I ran into a cop at Coopers this morning. He mentioned National Night Out was tonight and that different neighborhoods were throwing block parties. I guess it gives different neighbors a chance to meet and talk with each other and the Folsom Police go to different block parties to reach out and see what are the concerns for each neighborhood.

Anyone have any info on the Historic district block party?

A year or more ago Kathryn Corbett was trying to initiate a NW for the HD. She set up the initial meeting with police staff, but it seemed to have stalled after that. The meeting was not very well attended (less than a dozen, as I recall).

Where are you in the HD? I think it is too big for one NW group, and could easily be broken into four (the four corners of Natoma and Riley would be somewhat logical, or just either side of Riley).  I am very interested in our part of the HD having a NW group, as I now spend a fair amount of time paying attention to Granite Park and the old St John's Church and cemetery, both of which are attractive hangouts at night. But right about now, I'm way too busy to be the point person. I'll check in with Kathryn and see if anything came of it.

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

A year or more ago Kathryn Corbett was trying to initiate a NW for the HD. She set up the initial meeting with police staff, but it seemed to have stalled after that. The meeting was not very well attended (less than a dozen, as I recall).

Where are you in the HD? I think it is too big for one NW group, and could easily be broken into four (the four corners of Natoma and Riley would be somewhat logical, or just either side of Riley).  I am very interested in our part of the HD having a NW group, as I now spend a fair amount of time paying attention to Granite Park and the old St John's Church and cemetery, both of which are attractive hangouts at night. But right about now, I'm way too busy to be the point person. I'll check in with Kathryn and see if anything came of it.

Even if only a dozen people come to the meeting, start with them. Follow up with others and tell them several people showed up and are interested and you're getting ready to launch. Include safety tips and other information you get from the meeting so they can see the value in participating. Ask if they want to be included in the roster; they may, but just didn't have time to attend the meeting. Plan a fun gathering -- a pot luck or a cookout and invite neighbors to come to that; then whip out the sign-up sheet. I sent out SEVERAL updated rosters in the first few months. If only a dozen people in each of the four HD sections express an interest you have a good starting place. When NW NNO comes along, you could merge all four quadrants into one NNO function.

I didn't start with everyone on our block and there are still two who just don't participate.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users