3 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

I received an email from MCD Research "On behalf of PG&E." I don't remember ever giving PG&E my email address, so I was suspicious right off the bat, not that I would have clicked the links anyway.

I called PG&E's customer service number and learned via automated messages that they are aware of the bogus email and are investigating it. They warn customers against clicking any links in the email or if you've already clicked the link to not provide any personal information.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

It seems like there is a new scam every day.  I worry about the elderly who fall prey to these kinds of slimy things.

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

It seems like there is a new scam every day.  I worry about the elderly who fall prey to these kinds of slimy things.

I do, too. :(

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

Quick! Run to the door of every single old person in your neighborhood and tape a paper on their door that reads:

For the elderly:

Because we know you are old, we automatically assume you are the person being targeted for the latest email scam.

Do you have email? If you do, you are being attacked daily by a scammer. Here is how to protect yourself.

If anyone asks for personal information about yourself-ignore them. Don't even answer the email. 

If anyone threatens to put you in jail. sue you or suck your life savings away --- smack your family members; because a true con wouldn't do that.

If you are being conned out of your life-savings then follow these rules.

Always ask for a W-8 for a transaction. If they say it is not their policy to do so- then ask for their company tax id number for your tax claim use.

Anytime someone wants money, your birth date, your social security number, a password to anything.. remember to follow these rules:

!) Tell them to stand next to their phone and wait for your son the sheriff deputy to arrive.

2) Tell them your son hates it when you are so forgetful of where you are so he put a reverse gps tracker in your incoming calls

3) Tell them your son would be proud to come pick them/her/him up so that all transactions can be done in person-phones are such a pain in the bunion.

If the person hasn't hung up by now-- then go ahead and hang up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users