#16 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (uberman @ Mar 6 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Adultery laws vary from state to state, although there are a few cases seen at the federal level (specifically spouses who had extramarital affairs and contracted HIV/AIDS and passed it on to their spouses,) the point is: in Michigan, you can get a life sentence for committing adultery, in Maryland, you get a $10.00 fine, in California, I'm not entirely sure if any consequences exist to punish adultery.

The point I'm making is this: adultery is something we have and continue to compromise on, Maxine said it's something we SHOULD NOT compromise on, which is hokum, since such an issue is dealt with at the state level, for the most part, and most states have varying degrees of tolerance for such an act.)

My real gripe was that murder, adultery and fraud were the three things Maxine said we shouldn't compromise, murder being the only one I agree with.

Adultery used to be punished through severe means, stoning, dismemberment, exile... We compromised, evolved...

Progressed

Well, the vows are; "till death, do us part". So beheading for adultery doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me.

Although I don't think Maxine was trying to compare murder with adultery in how they should each be penalized, just that both crimes are examples of something that is always wrong to do. Adultery, regardless of what penalty a state law might apply to it is, is a violation of the trust and promises made to a loved one. To argue that adultery isn't wrong, well, it goes to speak of one's own moral character.

I would rather be Backpacking

#17 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (uberman @ Mar 6 2010, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about: National Defense, Freedom of Speech, Right to bear arms, Suffrage... I understand you more than likely implied those things, but to accompany murder with something as trivial and meaningless as adultery? This isn't 1st or 21st century Palestine, adultery isn't that big of a deal...

Of course adultery doesn't compare to murder and almost everyone knows it doesn't. (Just because things are grouped together, doesn't mean they all mean the same or are on the same level.) But it is a good way to cause us to run off course of the topic....isn't it? It's getting pretty old and most of us realize the game of confusion, baiting and taking a discussion off course to dismantle any intelligent discourse people are trying to have.

My point was, there are some things that you do, or don't do. You can't do them half way. You kill or you don't. You cheat on your spouse or you don't. You steal or you don't. These are decisions made by all of us every day. Oh sure, adultery is common but it's seldom forgiven. It places a distrust into a relationship that seldom gets healed.

If some think of it as a minor indiscretion, they are wrong. Just ask anyone who has had their spouse cheat on them. Ask them how much they trust it won't happen again. Ask them how doubtful they are since then, about what their spouse says, about who they are meeting, where they are going or any thing that involves them being away.

Ask them if they are still with that cheating spouse.

It may not be against the law, but it sure as Hell can get you in divorce court and have half your assets split with your spouse, plus huge amounts in child support and alimony! Not to mention court costs. What other mistake could you make that would cost you that much money?????

#18 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Mar 8 2010, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, the vows are; "till death, do us part". So beheading for adultery doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me.

Then perhaps you will fit in just fine with the Muslim crazies and their ilk in places like Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan or Egypt, where this type of thing is common.

Once you grow tired of people getting killed for being human beings, you'll be welcome back in this country, among relatively sane folks. Until then, GTFO.

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Mar 8 2010, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although I don't think Maxine was trying to compare murder with adultery in how they should each be penalized, just that both crimes are examples of something that is always wrong to do.

Neither do I. I said that adultery is something which can be compromised on, for example, if you cheat on your wife with a hooker and contract STDs and pass it on to your wife, I think you should be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

If you're a woman in an abusive relationship and manage to escape an abusive husband and sleep with someone else before the divorce papers go through, it's more than fine by me.

Adultery is not an issue of even comparable magnitude to murder.

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Mar 8 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point was, there are some things that you do, or don't do. You can't do them half way. You kill or you don't. You cheat on your spouse or you don't. You steal or you don't. These are decisions made by all of us every day. Oh sure, adultery is common but it's seldom forgiven. It places a distrust into a relationship that seldom gets healed.

Should a married woman who has been raped by a man other than her husband be charged with adultery and punished the same way as Tiger Woods? Your argument that you either cheat or you don't is weak and fragile. It's EXTREMISM, which is the topic of this thread, so before you go off making half-baked accusations and trying to shake the forum of your illogical argument, try for a second to relate to where the argument is.

We're not Saudi Arabia, if you want to live in a place where Adultery is illegal and punished to the full extent of the law, why don't you move to a Muslim country? I'm sure you'll fit in, I heard Muslims respect Jesus!

“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#19 uberman

uberman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Interests:All things related to nothing.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (JBailey @ Mar 8 2010, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To cross link from another thread's discussion... Fundamentalist Muslims didn't...they still stone, and kill for adultery (among other things).

We can thank religion for that, the Christians taught the Muslims everything they know. Which in the case of the Bushes and the Bin Ladens, turned out pretty bad for us.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis

#20 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

Oh...my...God... Your ability to twist anything into an anti-Christian blast has reached new heights...
So now it's the Christians fault the fundamentalist If I had the time, I could seriously break down your premise (s), but then again...why bother...Muslims are 7th century animals...rigggghhht.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#21 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

Yes....! Oh my God....! Uberdude, just what happened in your life to make you such a hater....? I can't wait until you finally get some kind of "religion" in your life...! You really should not go through life with so much hate....! It's not good for the soul my friend....! But then of course you are smarter and more educated than anybody else here so carry on........ Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#22 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

Back to OP: extremism, cause don't really go together...'coz cause is just an excuse for a person(s) to have his way...if he/she can't have it their way thru peaceful means they want to have it thru violent means....and fulfilling one's wishes thru violence is what we call extremism.

Often times, it is not clear what the cause is, and what's the impact of violence for the cause is confusing too...why would a Muslim kill other innocent Muslims (of folks from any religion) for Muslim's cause?

So, don't think extremists think much about the cause...they just go about it without much thot...

They just need to be hunted down and shot dead or blown up into pieces....

#23 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (JBailey @ Mar 10 2010, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh...my...God... Your ability to twist anything into an anti-Christian blast has reached new heights...
So now it's the Christians fault the fundamentalist If I had the time, I could seriously break down your premise (s), but then again...why bother...Muslims are 7th century animals...rigggghhht.

I didn't see Uber's post has anti-Christian blast...even the adultery stuff that happens in various middle east countries - it is the poor and weaker sections of society that get punished that way. The Emirs, Sheikhs and other ruling class get by with adultery and everything else with no consequences. In return, they give the clergy powers to be the moral police - a violent one at that.

Uber was making an argument that one cannot compare murder to adultery - and ya seem to be twsiting to to anti-Christian blast....

#24 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

Funny, nobody WAS comparing adultery to murder.

Grouping of topics doesn't mean they are all equal or that one is comparing them to each other.

Too much Sesame Street logic....my gaud! wacko.gif

#25 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Folsom Guy @ Mar 11 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uber was making an argument that one cannot compare murder to adultery - and ya seem to be twsiting to to anti-Christian blast....

Puhlease....Yep, nothing anti Christian about:
We can thank religion for that (stoning for adultery), the Christians taught the Muslims everything they know.

Just what context did you take this statement?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#26 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (JBailey @ Mar 11 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Puhlease....Yep, nothing anti Christian about:
We can thank religion for that (stoning for adultery), the Christians taught the Muslims everything they know.

Just what context did you take this statement?

Am sure you've read medieval history

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users