34 replies to this topic

#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

I have been warning of this for awhile. There is no way we can pay our current obligations, let alone our future ones. Expect tax hikes and THIS coming soon to America. As someone who pays around 16% to SS, consider me pissed in advance...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (JBailey @ Feb 26 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been warning of this for awhile. There is no way we can pay our current obligations, let alone our future ones. Expect tax hikes and THIS coming soon to America. As someone who pays around 16% to SS, consider me pissed in advance...

I used to dream of retiring early at 50. The stock market crash killed that dream. My nest egg still isn't big enough for me to live off the interest, so it's "Hi Ho, Hi ho, it's off to work we go". At this point in my life, I see myself working at least another 10 years and quite likely at least 5 more until 65. If I can ever make the change to my dream final career job, I will be ecstatic, but I don't know if that will ever materialize. We'll see. Only time will tell.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

As one of my favorite posters here often says.....WASS! sad.gif

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Feb 27 2010, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As one of my favorite posters here often says.....WASS! sad.gif

+ at least 75 if my health holds out.

#5 rpo

rpo

Hall Of Famer

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (JBailey @ Feb 26 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you pay 16% to SS when SS tax is only 6.2% of the first ~100k of income?

#6 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (rpo @ Feb 27 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

first off, if you pay 6.2%. then your employer is also paying an equal amount.
Self employed have to pay both so it is 12.4% I believe that covers the FICA-SS on your paystub. Then there is the additional FICA-Medicare which is likely the rest of his 16%.
I would rather be Backpacking

#7 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (rpo @ Feb 27 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Way to focus on THE ISSUE AT HAND. Typical though, people who cannot dispute the evidence and conclusions instead attack the messenger...

I was pointing out that I am pissed that I pay both employer and employee shares of something that I will most likely never see. At the bare minimum, I will see vastly reduced income due to the age limits being arbitrarily "adjusted." How I would love to have even half that amount to use for my own investing...If you want to squabble about what the correct number of my "donation" to all the current retirees is, go ahead. But it's a fool's errand. The actual number is 15.3%, sorry for my "around 16%" generalization... rolleyes.gif IRS link here

I frequently use the situation of the British as I see it as a harbinger of what we will face if we continue towards a "European model" of societal engineering. What works for Europe (if you argue that Europe is "working" which is debatable), will not work for America for a multitude of reasons.

Number one, Our "allies" spend far less on their military because they don't have to. They know good ol USA will be there to back them up (well, unless you are Honduran, Georgian, or British...) That allows far more spending for social agendas. Map of military spending by GDP here

Number two, nearly all current European countries are evolved from Monarchies where the rulers looked after the "little people." America was founded with the belief that the power lay within those same "little people" to chart not only their own destiny, but the destiny of the country. In other words, Americans were raised to be less dependent and more self-reliant. While we have been heading away from that ideal for several decades (in large part due to the bizarre, overly litigious twist we have taken), it is still the basis for our roots.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#8 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

They want to faze SS out but still want the taxes that we pay for it. That is why they are increasing the age you can retire.

Dirty SOB's! We really need to take some action, because things are looking like we have a monarchy in the white house rather than a free system of government. Our damn leaders think they are royalty!

You can bet this wouldn't happen if THEY had to live on SS after they retired! madsmiley.png

#9 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (MaxineR @ Feb 28 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They want to faze SS out but still want the taxes that we pay for it. That is why they are increasing the age you can retire.

Dirty SOB's! We really need to take some action, because things are looking like we have a monarchy in the white house rather than a free system of government. Our damn leaders think they are royalty!

You can bet this wouldn't happen if THEY had to live on SS after they retired! madsmiley.png

I don't expect to get any SS money as I expect it will all go to illegal immigrants, career welfare collectors, etc. I expect Uncle Sam will squander all of my SS so I will be lucky if I get any. I'm also expecting Uncle Sam to re-write the rules on my 401K so when I do finally get to collect it, I'll be taxed to death on it as well. Due to inflation and tax increases, I have only seen a decline in my disposable income over the years. Our government is killing the American Dream

#10 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (curiousity @ Mar 1 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't expect to get any SS money as I expect it will all go to illegal immigrants, career welfare collectors, etc. I expect Uncle Sam will squander all of my SS so I will be lucky if I get any. I'm also expecting Uncle Sam to re-write the rules on my 401K so when I do finally get to collect it, I'll be taxed to death on it as well. Due to inflation and tax increases, I have only seen a decline in my disposable income over the years. Our government is killing the American Dream

Just curious - how would SS go to illegals?

#11 curiousity

curiousity

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Folsom Guy @ Mar 1 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just curious - how would SS go to illegals?

After Obama grants them all amnesty.
Technically, they won't be illegal anymore, but they will still be illegal in my book if that is how they originally arrived here.

#12 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (curiousity @ Mar 1 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After Obama grants them all amnesty.
Technically, they won't be illegal anymore, but they will still be illegal in my book if that is how they originally arrived here.

Correct, and look at all the new "democrat" voters they will instantly get on the voter roles....! And you are right about your 401K. You will be "means tested" by the dems and libs and since you have saved and been responsible for your retirement you will be "excluded" from any SS benefits. The ones who saved nothing and lived high on the hog will now be "rescued" by our compassionate government...! A classic example of the dems rewarding bad behavior and bad choices and punishing those of us who act responsibly, work hard, live within our means, and prepare for the future.....! Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#13 (MaxineR)

(MaxineR)
  • Visitors

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

If you haven't joined the Tea Party now is the time you should.

The only way to stop this madness is to show up in numbers they can't ignore and sway the voters to look up from their stupor and pay attention to what is happening to our country.

No one else is organizing anything to show our anger with what is happening, so why nor join us?

Let's stop the progressives!!!!!

Saturday, March 6th

This day is for those who want to see more groups rise up in the Sacramento area.

We will be meeting at the Hyatt on L Street across from the Capitol from 10:00 A.M. until Noon.

Please let me know if you would like to attend as space is limited.

April 15th Tea Party Patriot Tax Day Rally

This years Tax Day Rally will be even more inspiring, patriotic and motivating than last years. You won't want to miss one minute of the opening ceremony.

Join us on the west steps of the Capitol from 12:00 noon till 3:00.
usa.gif

#14 the_professor

the_professor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Chris @ Mar 1 2010, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct, and look at all the new "democrat" voters they will instantly get on the voter roles....! And you are right about your 401K. You will be "means tested" by the dems and libs and since you have saved and been responsible for your retirement you will be "excluded" from any SS benefits. The ones who saved nothing and lived high on the hog will now be "rescued" by our compassionate government...! A classic example of the dems rewarding bad behavior and bad choices and punishing those of us who act responsibly, work hard, live within our means, and prepare for the future.....! Chris

Didn't Reagan grant amnesty to over 2 million illegal aliens?

#15 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

Off topic, but yeah, and look how great that turned out! tongue.gif I was against that as well..."1 time deal" my arse... failure to address the issue and make hard choices is what I call it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users