#46 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(Warren G @ Sep 18 2008, 08:55 AM) View Post
The thing that would be difficult for a builder to overcome here is that feeling of a basement feeling kind of like a dungeon. It's difficult to get enough natural light without ending up with a "raised ranch", and walls that don't feel cold. Make it into a large rec room and a place for the kids where they can be noisy and run around without tripping over storage boxes... Then some people will buy the idea of a basement, even if it does add $20-$40k to the price of the house.

I would!! I'd love it! A basement would make a GREAT GAME ROOM for the kids!
<3

#47 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(brown @ Sep 18 2008, 08:56 AM) View Post
Agreed...IMO definitely the biggest problem we face.

the other biggest problem we face is we need to end the conflict of interest of politicians drawing their own voting districts - the useless politicians we have are so damned concerned about being re-elected all the time, more so then doing their job
- they never get anything done. Its time to flush (vote out) the existing useless completely divided politicians sitting on the legislature and get some people in there with brains for a change.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#48 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

I have a (whacko smile.gif ) theory about basements... I think they spawn creativity.

This is where kids get to dig into hobbies that require space without worrying about messing up mom's living room or dining room. There's very little space like this around most houses around these parts. Garages get too hot or too cold.

The good outdoors might also have something to do with this. Why hang around indoors if it's nice outside? Ever wonder why a lot of geeks (I mean that in a good way) come from colder climes?

One more CA peeve: fenced-in yards. I miss how backyards are just open in many other regions.

#49 Johnny_come_lately

Johnny_come_lately

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Andrea V @ Sep 17 2008, 10:06 AM) View Post
Why don't we have basements?

I understand that there are several reasons....many of which have already been posted here. Short answer is that if you add a basement it takes longer to build the home and increases the construction costs (a basement can add about 30% of what it cost to build the above ground portion of the home). With land prices and construction costs being so much more expensive in CA than other states, until there is a demand (cultural expectation) for a basement in California, they are unlikely to become commonplace. Just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users