• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Jan 3 2008, 10:32 AM) View Post
SHe paid like $300 or so I believe....

In a parking lot? Jesus wept. She's lucky they didn't bean her and take her car.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#17 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:37 AM

I don't think we need to be nasty. She's already admitted that her mom was naive. Mom's probably not feeling too great right now.

#18 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:25 AM

There's adds in the paper all the time for dogs going up to $500--without papers.
$300 bucks really isn't all that bad.

I just hope that the dog is truely healthy and that she enjoys the dog.

That's what matters, here.

#19 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jan 4 2008, 08:25 AM) View Post
There's adds in the paper all the time for dogs going up to $500--without papers.

+1 Just enjoy the dog and I'm sure it will be a great companion. Unless she was planning on showing or breeding the dog papers are a waste of time and money. And, really, you shouldn't be breeding if you don't know what you're doing.

One last thing on behalf of Bob Barker, "Be sure to spay or neuter your pet."

#20 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jan 4 2008, 08:25 AM) View Post

So true supermom..... as long as the dog is healthy, lovable and fun, no papers are necessary and that price wasn't so bad

heck it costs over 100 bucks at least to get any dog with shots, neutering and so on

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#21 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

I paid $300 for my non-registered non-purebred puppy. In my case it was worth it, because it included spaying and a bunch of shots, and the rest goes toward running Beagle Rescue. I can never show or breed this dog, but I sure love her!

#22 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

Agreed, give the dog a good home and it will be a good dog, anything else is just expensive fluff.

It costs more to get my dog washed and brushed than it did to take her home from the pound. biggrin.gif
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#23 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

There was just a story in the news about a stolen vehicle with a Dachsund momma and puppies in the vehicle. Methinks your mama may have a stolen puppy, but probably healthy.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#24 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Jan 2 2008, 02:40 PM) View Post
Yes....she is not that bright, I know....

But she bought this cute puppy from some lady who promised to send the papers and now will not contact her back. The weird thing is, the lady gave her her #...at least we think it is her #. We have called several times and different kids answer the phone and always says "my mom's not here".

My mom thought I could post this here to see if anyone else bought one...she had 3 I think. Claimed to be a purebred dachsund...

It was bought the 23rd I think. She doesn't want the papers if it's not true....they love Lucy, but they want to try to get their $$ back.

Have you tried to do a reverse telephone number search?

#25 freqflyer

freqflyer

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jan 4 2008, 09:50 AM) View Post
Agreed, give the dog a good home and it will be a good dog, anything else is just expensive fluff.

It costs more to get my dog washed and brushed than it did to take her home from the pound. biggrin.gif

+1 - and Never buy another dog from some puppy mill selling out of a car. - And Walmart sucks. Shop local stores.
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
You won稚 lag behind, because you値l have the speed.
You値l pass the whole gang and you値l soon take the lead.
Wherever you fly, you値l be the best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
I'm sorry to say so
But, sadly it's true
That bang-ups and hang-ups
Can happen to you.
On an on we will hike, And I know we値l hike far
and face up to our problems whatever they are.
We値l get mixed up of course, as we already know.
We値l get mixed up with many strange birds as we go.

#26 StephanieW

StephanieW

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:I like working out daily, i enjoy my work, everyone go to winco! i love spending time with my family going to the lake and camping... shopping is fun.

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Jan 3 2008, 07:15 AM) View Post
She has already been to the vet (the day after xmas) shots were done then...
My mom was hoping I would post to see if anyone else bought one (she had 3).

We know it wasn't a very smart thing....but just hoped this lady had been telling the truth. We had actually bought our first Dachsund (20 yrs ago) in a very similar situation and I think she was just a little naive on the whole thing.

how much did she pay?? the one she just got!

#27 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:08 AM

www.petfinder.org is a great resource for finding the perfect pet to round out your family. Plus, you get the added bonus of rescuing an animal, instead of rewarding the folks that add to the pet over-population problem.

I wish your mother well with her new hound.

#28 caspertheghost

caspertheghost

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Raising and Showing cavies/guinea pigs... breeds: Abyssinians, Americans, Coronets, and Peruvians. :)

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE(freqflyer @ Jan 12 2008, 07:04 AM) View Post
+1 - and Never buy another dog from some puppy mill selling out of a car. - And Walmart sucks. Shop local stores.

Walmart doesn't suck. wink.gif I mean they have good prices on those little grey step stool things which are just PERFECT for putting my pigs on to groom or for in their cages! :D Plus the bands that I use for my longhairs in coat... and the white baskets with small holes... and a lot of other stuff!

Back on topic, though.

The pup sounds really cute! I personally wouldn't get the puppies if I could (I can't anyhow as my dad doesn't want another dog! The mini schnauzer is enough)---not even a guinea pig/cavy... I doubt a responsible breeder would be desperate enough to sell their dogs in front of any store... so I bet the breeder just lied about the AKC papers. Even though in the showing and breeding world you'll meet some great people, there are always those liars and creeps out there that will sell "crappy" animals and lie about the animals---like saying it's a showable cavy, when it's going to get DQed... or giving a pedigree that was just made up.

Hope all goes well. I'd really worry about genetic problems that could affect the pup... like the hip problems (I forget what it's called... I mainly read cavy stuff all day- sigh) or other genetic problems... as I doubt the person tested for them before they bred the dogs... who knows...

Another thing to avoid -for anyone to know-... petstore animals... petstore cavies/guinea pigs can have URIs (Upper Respriatory Infection), mites (which can kill them if not treated in time!), lice and the sows could be pregnant. A lot of the rodents probably come from mill breeders... the cavies I know come from breeders that show and probably mill breeders... but that doesn't mean they are good animals... I see pet wholesalers at cavy shows picking up the "culls" from breeders... but I doubt the pet wholesaler would treat them with something like Revolution or a combo of Ivermectin and Advantage to treat or prevent any mites or lice. Plus they put different ones from different people in the same bins... so some may have lice or mites and give it to the others.. .and if one or some are missexed... well lovely, you'll probably have some younglins pregnant (yes, cavy sows can get pregnant as young as 4 weeks old!). Plus petstore animals don't have known DOBs or pedigrees. Plus most chain petstores like Petsmart and Petco sell crappy food... like Kaytee for the rodents and cavies-- which is a horrible feed. And they overcharge for such small amounts of feed. For an example, they have Mazuri cavy feed there.. 5lbs for like $10 or $12. While at Lee's Feed I can get 25lbs of Mazuri for like $12 or $13. I haven't seen any dog and cat food there that is good. If you have pets, your better bet is to head up to Lee's Feed in Shingle Springs or Lazy Y... as the good/best feed for dogs and cats are... Gold Solid, Eagle Pack, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, etc.
You know you can't say no to a face as cute as her...

#29 benji916

benji916

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

She got the dog, I dont see where getting her money back would be required.... honestly do the papers make you love your pet more???

Im guessing the dog is not for show... if it was bought in front of walmart chances are it is not a show qaulity dog, and did not come with a garauntee through age 2

And im guessing (hoping) it will not be used for breeding.... because you have no info on the orignal parents hips, thyroid and cardio.

Just accept the pet as is. The papers dont make the dog. And for that type of dog she paid close to the price it costs for a non papered dog.

You can DNA it at banfield .... but those tests arent often accurate.

dont mean to sound insensitive .... its just care for pets is my pet peeve.... you shouldnt need papers to love your pet that you dedicated yourself to... would you bring him to the pound if you didnt get papers?

#30 benji916

benji916

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

And honestly Back Yard breeders are rarely honest and often cruel..... if you wanted a papered dog, you shouldve gone to a hobby breeder that aims for bettering the conformation and producing qaulity dogs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users