137 replies to this topic

#1 Guest1971

Guest1971

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:14 AM

Top 11 reasons why Serrano, El Dorado Hills real estate is an absolute Rip-off

1) HOA Dues = $477 per quarter. OUCH. All you get for $477 is front yard landscaping, the gated enclave/compound that makes you feel safe and a 24 hour security patrol.

2) Mello Roos. On your Semi Annual Property Tax, in addition to your taxes, you have assessments for the EDH library, ambulance, police and fire, parks, schools, etc. These charges can be another $2000 annually.

3) List of approved plants and not approved plants according to association “standards”. Are you kidding me??? You mean I cannot plant Italian Cyprus if I want in my OWN home which I paid good $$$ for???

4) You have to color your satellite dish the same exact matching color as your exterior.

5) You cannot park in front of your OWN home overnight. Are you kidding me???

6) Take a look at the MLS and MORE THAN 60% of ALL listings in EDH are in Serrano. More listings of Foreclosures, short sales, etc.

7) Much higher utility bills. NO SMUD… PGE bills almost 3X more in Serrano than in Folsom. We were shocked at our PGE rates compared to PGE rates in Folsom for the SAME usage.

8) Your HOA does NOT get you Golf membership, health club, or any other clubs in Serrano. You have to pay separate for all those. Some Golf Memberships are like $40,000 annual. To belong to a “ladies club”, “moms club” or other clubs, will also cost you $$ just in case like you feel like socializing or paying to have friends with the rich.

9) Bugs and rattlesnakes. Since you live in the foothills, you should become accustomed to having a pest control guy come in every other month, so your cost there would be around $80-$120 . On a hot summer day at around 6pm, just walk into a Serrano street and you will run into a few rattlers. My next door neighbor called the fire dept and they caught a 4 footer. I guess the snake fence that she paid for did not work. In fact, they have caught 4 thus far. So much for paying $70,000 lot premium for “open space” and building a pool that you can’t enjoy.

10) HOA hired the sheriffs department to do “extra” patrols because there were a couple of windows smashed on one street. So they decide to increase the HOA’s for EVERYONE in all the neighborhoods . Now that is a great mutual company.

11) Very little, if ANY, competitive bidding process. What do I mean?? I mean, the HOA does NOT shop around to lower costs such as insurance, security, etc. They (HOA) calls themselves a “mutual” company and they are supposed to have the best interest on its members. I bet you the execs at the landscaping company and the security company has close ties to association Pres or they are golf buddies and fatten each others pockets. You know how it goes with ‘ol buddies and a game of golf. AAA is also a mutual company. I received a $70 check with a thank you letter because they are TRUE Mutual company.

Now I am going to get to the “myths” about the positives of Serrano. Some of my neighbors (and bless their heart) make this argument about the “gated community”.

Myth # 1.. I feel safe.

Truth: If you feel so safe, then how did you feel when just about a year ago, the BIGGEST distribution Meth bust in El Dorado County History happened. They had FBI, DEA, Local and State officials broke down the doors of one of our neighbors. Come to find out that this house was under surveillance for almost three months. They discovered $1.5million in Canadian money and arrested the homeowner for this distribution. The weird thing is that the media did not report on this as much.

Myth # 2 gated communities and the “mystique” of Serrano and the HOA will keep our property values up.

Truth: This is THE biggest bunch of hogwash and couldn’t be further from truth. I recently attended a Foreclosure auction and according to the auctioneer, he has about 1-2 properties a WEEK that come to him for Foreclosure. Again, the facts don’t lie. Do an MLS search as my realtor did and the MAJORITY of listings are in Serrano. The ship is sinking. Compared to other areas in El Dorado Hills and in Folsom WITHOUT gated communities, Serrano is losing value quick. How you like to live on Terracina Court where a 4000+ sq ft home just sold for $425,000 due to mold problems and there were two short sales + 1 foreclosure. Now this is a very “scenic” Folsom lake view million $$ homes. What do you think happened to the property values in that street. The values have come down DRAMATICALLY in Serrano.

Myth # 3.. Serrano has the best schools. While I tend to agree that all the HOA dues and the Mello Roos + builders have pumped extra $$$ into the schools, and the “appearance” of these schools are newer and modern, I say at what cost??? I mean with all the taxes + Melloo Roos + HOA, how much can you save you if you move to Folsom and send the kids to private school. Besides, who is to say that Folsom schools WITHOUT HOA dues are worst than gated community school?

Has there ever been a serious scientific study that proves for once and all that kids that go to gated community schools score a lot higher than kids that don’t??? How many CEO’s, Scientists, Doctors today lived in gated community during their childhood???? Once I see concrete irrefutable scientific evidence, I will not be brainwashed into that line of thinking.

While the above argument is exclusive to Serrano based on my own personal experience, some of the points hold true for MOST gated communities. However, some gated communities give you a Gym membership, access to clubhouse, and other amenities as a part of your HOA. To them, I say BRAVO. AT LEAST you folks in Lincoln are getting a community pool, clubhouse, high speed internet for your dues.

#2 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:24 AM

Umm, I guess you're not happy there. I would never have guessed that there were so many potential negatives. I'm glad I didn't buy there but then I kinda think EDH is a little too isolated (at least for me). smile.gif

#3 Ras712

Ras712

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

Sorry...why did you move there???
"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kind of things you can't see from the center" - Kurt Vonnegut (RIP)

"If you can fit it on a bumper sticker, it's not a reason to go to War" - Henry Rollins

#4 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

I love people that complain about CC&R's.. YOU SIGNED THE THING!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#5 Ras712

Ras712

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE(Guest1971 @ Jun 22 2007, 11:14 AM) View Post
Myth # 1.. I feel safe.

Truth: If you feel so safe, then how did you feel when just about a year ago, the BIGGEST distribution Meth bust in El Dorado County History happened. They had FBI, DEA, Local and State officials broke down the doors of one of our neighbors. Come to find out that this house was under surveillance for almost three months. They discovered $1.5million in Canadian money and arrested the homeowner for this distribution. The weird thing is that the media did not report on this as much.

My god...the Canadian Mafia...here!!! I'm moving back to Jersey!
"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kind of things you can't see from the center" - Kurt Vonnegut (RIP)

"If you can fit it on a bumper sticker, it's not a reason to go to War" - Henry Rollins

#6 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(Ras712 @ Jun 22 2007, 11:45 AM) View Post
My god...the Canadian Mafia...here!!! I'm moving back to Jersey!

The Canadian's have a Mafia?

I always pictured them as sweet short little people in bright red clothes that really love horses.
LOL my perceptions have been shattered!!!

#7 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jun 22 2007, 11:52 AM) View Post

I always pictured them as sweet short little people in bright red clothes that really love horses.

You obviously have never seen Canadian Bacon. They might seem harmless, but they can strike at the soft underbelly of the US at any time.

Sure, they send us Alan Alda, Alan Thicke, Tom Brokaw, Michael J. Fox, Steve Nash, and it all looks peaceful. You have all been warned about this impending grave threat.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#8 antakarana

antakarana

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:12 AM

What a rude thing to say!! Seems like a person who made that comment must be bitter and angry about his lot in life to make him spew such hatred.

I thought everyone was welcome on MyFolsom.com - rich or poor, Democrat or Republican. Civility transcends socio-economic status! But of course, some people feel free to say rude things in cyberspace they'd never dare say in person because of the anonymity.

There's no need to be mean to someone just b/c they're better off than you are and it comes across as insecure & immature. Get a grip!

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Jun 22 2007, 12:01 PM) View Post
You obviously have never seen Canadian Bacon. They might seem harmless, but they can strike at the soft underbelly of the US at any time.

Sure, they send us Alan Alda, Alan Thicke, Tom Brokaw, Michael J. Fox, Steve Nash, and it all looks peaceful. You have all been warned about this impending grave threat.

Alan Alada is Canadian? I thought he was a Chicagoan. And Steve Nash? isn't he from Kentucky or Tenessee? And I don't know who Tom Brokaw is I never watch the news--but his voice don't seem foreign to me.

#10 Jennyfoo

Jennyfoo

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jun 22 2007, 11:52 AM) View Post

I thought Canadians all had roud bobbly heads that were disjointed at the mouth. Maybe I've been misinformed wink.gif

The Russian Maffia was one of the reasons I moved from Rancho Cordova.

As far as HOA regs, they sound about the same as they are in Empire Ranch. You can't plant something that's not approved, but there's no "plant police" going around here. I planted whatever I felt like in the backyard, that woudn't get too large to see from the street. Whatever is in your backyard, is beyond control of the HOA unless a neighbor narks on you. The lots bordering "open space" were available here too. No thank you. I knew about the rattlers and the fire danger being higher in those homes. I also knew not to buy where SMUD was not available. That's why we stuck to Folsom.

I'm sorry that you didn' know what you were getting into when you moved to Serrano. You ought to have done some more research before buying there. But feel free to come here and vent whever you want.

#11 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:04 PM

We recently moved to Serrano and absolutely love it. The HOA dues and supplemental taxes were no surprise to us and we researched what that money went for before we purchased the home. Taking everything into consideration based on our own priorities, I have no problem with some of the additional expenses associated with living here. Just a few things we love about it:

1. Our home is bordered both front and rear by permanent open space. This is not easy to find in the Sacramento area, particularly within the price range we were willing to spend.
2. Our front yard landscaping and maintenance is completely taken care of. Our lawn (as well as those of our neighbors) is in better shape than any lawn I've ever had. Just the other day, I came home to find that all of the shredded bark in our planting beds had been refreshed with nice new bark. Looks great and saved me the hassle of having to have bark delivered and spread it out myself.
3. Very little traffic. Since the residential streets in Serrano aren't useful as any sort of short-cut for pass through drivers, we get none. I have maybe 2 cars an hour go past my house.
4. Peace and quiet. As above, very little traffic equates to an almost serene environment. This is as close to living in the country as I've experienced within a suburban setting (I grew up in a country setting).
5. Walking trails. We go on walks almost every night now that we have ready access to peaceful streets and a great mix of walking trails. Directly across the street from us, we have a natural ravine with a great trail running through it. The kids love it and it really feels like we're in a whole different world when we're down there. Aside from the Parkway, I know of no other neighborhood in the area with such a great housing/open space balance.

I know that this kind of neighborhood isn't for everybody, but for those of us who like what Serrano has to offer, it is far from a rip-off. In my opinion, our home there is the best purchase I've ever made.

#12 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jun 22 2007, 12:20 PM) View Post
Alan Alada is Canadian? I thought he was a Chicagoan. And Steve Nash? isn't he from Kentucky or Tenessee? And I don't know who Tom Brokaw is I never watch the news--but his voice don't seem foreign to me.

Tom Brokaw is from South Dakota--almost Canadian but not quite.

#13 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

Just to touch on PG&E rates - we are actually spending considerably less on energy at our new home than we did in Folsom. Our monthly PG&E bill (both gas & electricity) has been about $90. I imagine it will go up somewhat over the summer, but it's already less than we were paying during the same period at our previous house.

#14 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(Guest1971 @ Jun 22 2007, 11:14 AM) View Post
Top 11 reasons why Serrano, El Dorado Hills real estate is an absolute Rip-off

1) HOA Dues = $477 per quarter. OUCH. All you get for $477 is front yard landscaping, the gated enclave/compound that makes you feel safe and a 24 hour security patrol.

2) Mello Roos. On your Semi Annual Property Tax, in addition to your taxes, you have assessments for the EDH library, ambulance, police and fire, parks, schools, etc. These charges can be another $2000 annually.

3) List of approved plants and not approved plants according to association “standards”. Are you kidding me??? You mean I cannot plant Italian Cyprus if I want in my OWN home which I paid good $$$ for???

4) You have to color your satellite dish the same exact matching color as your exterior.

5) You cannot park in front of your OWN home overnight. Are you kidding me???

6) Take a look at the MLS and MORE THAN 60% of ALL listings in EDH are in Serrano. More listings of Foreclosures, short sales, etc.

7) Much higher utility bills. NO SMUD… PGE bills almost 3X more in Serrano than in Folsom. We were shocked at our PGE rates compared to PGE rates in Folsom for the SAME usage.

8) Your HOA does NOT get you Golf membership, health club, or any other clubs in Serrano. You have to pay separate for all those. Some Golf Memberships are like $40,000 annual. To belong to a “ladies club”, “moms club” or other clubs, will also cost you $$ just in case like you feel like socializing or paying to have friends with the rich.

9) Bugs and rattlesnakes. Since you live in the foothills, you should become accustomed to having a pest control guy come in every other month, so your cost there would be around $80-$120 . On a hot summer day at around 6pm, just walk into a Serrano street and you will run into a few rattlers. My next door neighbor called the fire dept and they caught a 4 footer. I guess the snake fence that she paid for did not work. In fact, they have caught 4 thus far. So much for paying $70,000 lot premium for “open space” and building a pool that you can’t enjoy.

10) HOA hired the sheriffs department to do “extra” patrols because there were a couple of windows smashed on one street. So they decide to increase the HOA’s for EVERYONE in all the neighborhoods . Now that is a great mutual company.

11) Very little, if ANY, competitive bidding process. What do I mean?? I mean, the HOA does NOT shop around to lower costs such as insurance, security, etc. They (HOA) calls themselves a “mutual” company and they are supposed to have the best interest on its members. I bet you the execs at the landscaping company and the security company has close ties to association Pres or they are golf buddies and fatten each others pockets. You know how it goes with ‘ol buddies and a game of golf. AAA is also a mutual company. I received a $70 check with a thank you letter because they are TRUE Mutual company.

Now I am going to get to the “myths” about the positives of Serrano. Some of my neighbors (and bless their heart) make this argument about the “gated community”.

Myth # 1.. I feel safe.

Myth # 2 gated communities and the “mystique” of Serrano and the HOA will keep our property values up.

Truth: This is THE biggest bunch of hogwash and couldn’t be further from truth. I recently attended a Foreclosure auction and according to the auctioneer, he has about 1-2 properties a WEEK that come to him for Foreclosure. Again, the facts don’t lie. Do an MLS search as my realtor did and the MAJORITY of listings are in Serrano. The ship is sinking. Compared to other areas in El Dorado Hills and in Folsom WITHOUT gated communities, Serrano is losing value quick. How you like to live on Terracina Court where a 4000+ sq ft home just sold for $425,000 due to mold problems and there were two short sales + 1 foreclosure. Now this is a very “scenic” Folsom lake view million $$ homes. What do you think happened to the property values in that street. The values have come down DRAMATICALLY in Serrano.

Myth # 3.. Serrano has the best schools. While I tend to agree that all the HOA dues and the Mello Roos + builders have pumped extra $$$ into the schools, and the “appearance” of these schools are newer and modern, I say at what cost??? I mean with all the taxes + Melloo Roos + HOA, how much can you save you if you move to Folsom and send the kids to private school. Besides, who is to say that Folsom schools WITHOUT HOA dues are worst than gated community school?

Has there ever been a serious scientific study that proves for once and all that kids that go to gated community schools score a lot higher than kids that don’t??? How many CEO’s, Scientists, Doctors today lived in gated community during their childhood???? Once I see concrete irrefutable scientific evidence, I will not be brainwashed into that line of thinking.

While the above argument is exclusive to Serrano based on my own personal experience, some of the points hold true for MOST gated communities. However, some gated communities give you a Gym membership, access to clubhouse, and other amenities as a part of your HOA. To them, I say BRAVO. AT LEAST you folks in Lincoln are getting a community pool, clubhouse, high speed internet for your dues.

I've been in this area for 18 years now... and El Dorado Hills has always been over rated if you "aks" me...

# 1 the water bill will kill you if you ever have a running toilet that you don't fix....
you can't spray down your driveway after you mow the yard...

#2...it is a pain in the butt to have to go to Serano HOA to have them approve of your backyard landscaping...

3. don't ever park a car there at night for more than a night or two or the "federalis" will come and "getcha"...

The schools in Folsom are probably better than in EDH.. and I think it's parental involement more than anything in a childs success no matter where you live...

I know about that house on Terracina Court since a friend of mine bought it... and I made a bid on it too with a buddy of mine.... it had a "mold issue" and I just think the folks that lived there changed their mind on it and then did the lawsuit "thang" which forever tainted that place and any new owner will have to go through a few $$ in repairs to bring it up to speed...when they really didn't have to in my opinion....by the way... they left everything in the house... cloths... everything...

We had the same thing happen to some neighbors over in Lexington Hills... a class action lawsuit in the Hillsborou village... a joke if you ask me...

but Serrano was hot when the market was hot... and it will come back again...

as for the Rattlers...? hey I have a house on Chadwick way in Lexington Hills which has like 2 rows of house between me and the wetlands.. but I killed a rattler that was resting on the entry rug by the front door when I left it open one day... not a big one... just got the old shovel out and stomped that little sucker...

and I have frogs in the back yard pool there all the time...

big deal....

after a while they all go away....

#15 Barb J

Barb J

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

We used to live in The Parkway which has very similar HOA's to Serrano as they were developed by the same company - Parker Development.

As far as the satellite dishes having to be painted the same color as the house, we were able to get a waiver on this as according to the dish company, painting it would interfere with the way the satellite works. We sent a letter to the HOA and they sent a letter back giving us approval to put it up as is.

Now, I do agree that having to follow approved plant lists is a pain, however we definitely benefitted from this particular "rule". Our neighbor in back planted a very invasive type of bamboo which spread quickly and completely into our yard as well as our next door neighbors. Since it wasn't on the approved plant list, we were able to go after the homeowner to take care of the problem. It was a very expensive and comprehensive fix as you have to literally remove all the dirt in addition to the plant itself or it will just come back later. Had we not had the HOA behind us, we would have never gotten rid of the bamboo completely.

Serrano is a beautiful place to live. Our original plan was to live in the Parkway for 5 years, then move to Serrano. But we ended up falling in love with Folsom and decided to move to ER instead.

Barb J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users