68 replies to this topic

#61 edhnative

edhnative

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:15 AM

I have lived in EDH since 1984 (no, that's not a typo!)

Pros: great schools (which Folsom also has).

Um, that's all I can think of right now, seriously. The utilities are very high in EDH, even in Serrano, yes I lived there too, and my PG&E was way higher in that house than where I live now in a 20yr old house, because there were no trees for shade!), the people here are ultra conservative (I'm not), and everyone seems to know everyone, so if you want any sort of anonyminity, EDH is not the place to go.

DH and I will probably be moving to Folsom as soon as the market turns, I can't wait!!! I want to be closer the businesses, the schools are just as good, the utilities are cheaper, (SMUD is cheaper, always has been and prob always will be) and believe it or not, the houses are holding their value in Folsom way better than the houses in EDH are. I wish I had moved to Folsom when we had the opportunity. The only reason we stayed in EDH was to be closer to family.

As far as Asbestos goes, yes its here, but it's in Folsom too, right near the new high school. No, no one is getting sick right now because Mesothelioma and Asbestosis is something that doesn't rear it's ugly head for 20-30 years. And in case your wondering, no, there have not been ANY reports of clusters in the area because of it though.

Rattle snakes....yes they are here, everywhere!!!! I know first hand that is a huge problem, but if you call Folsom Fire, they will say they have a problem too, behind the Costoc area, so you can't get away from them by moving to Folsom.

Good Luck, it's tough decision to make, but either way you can't go wrong!

#62 aprilfool71

aprilfool71

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(Good2bme @ Jun 27 2008, 09:39 AM) View Post
Here's the deal from somebody who has lived in both Folsom and EDH. You can't go wrong either way and it's highly doubtful that you'll regret whatever decision you make. Decide what's important to you in a home and neighborhood, look at houses and pick the one you like best. They're both nice places and both have their pros and cons.

Just FYI regarding Serrano and the Parkway (Parkway is in Folsom) - note that the HOA dues go to more than just paying for the "priveledge" of living there. In both communities, all front yard maintenance is provided on a weekly basis, extensive walking trails are maintained, community standards are actually enforced, etc. Those things may not hold enough value for you to justify the associated cost, but I figured it was worthwhile to point out that the money actually does go toward things that benefit you directly.

thanks... we did looked at some homes in Serrano and were very impressed with how clean and well maintained everything was... a far cry from where we live! we like also like the less crowded feel of EDH so that is where we have decided we want to live. we are still trying to decide if we want to live in a more rural setting closer to the lake with more trees and land, or in serrano where it has a more suburban feel.

#63 Good2bme

Good2bme

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

If you can afford it, I'd really suggest looking at the homes at the northern end of Silva Valley Road near Green Valley Road in EDH. Big trees, big lots, larger homes, close to the lake. It's a beautiful neighborhood.

#64 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(Good2bme @ Jun 27 2008, 03:14 PM) View Post
If you can afford it, I'd really suggest looking at the homes at the northern end of Silva Valley Road near Green Valley Road in EDH. Big trees, big lots, larger homes, close to the lake. It's a beautiful neighborhood.

Sterlingshire? I liked it -- my favorite hood when I was looking around for a house. But alas, too expensive for me.

#65 Good2bme

Good2bme

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:49 AM

No, I think it's called Lake Hills Estates. Not sure, but I don't think it's Sterlingshire. Palango would know the name. Hmmm...drives me crazy to forget!

#66 edhnative

edhnative

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:13 AM

Nope...it's called Highland Hills...very good area too smile.gif

#67 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:44 AM

HIghland View I believe. Great area. HOA is only $35 a month. You can get some Foreclosure/Bank owned deals there now.

#68 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

It's "Highland" something, that's for sure. The main entry street off of Silva Valley is called "Highland Hills". Beautiful neighborhood. Personally, I don't have the time or skill to deal with maintaining landscaping on a lot that large, but if you're up for that or willing to pay a gardener, it looks like a really nice place to live.

#69 aprilfool71

aprilfool71

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

thanks for everyone's feedback...

we just rented a home in Serrano to get to know the area and decide where we ultimately want to buy a house that we will probably live in for the next 20 years.

we also want to wait and see how low pricing is going to go before we buy.

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users